• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Company of heroes

I'm planning on trying to make an impenetrable defense for the germans, bunker beside of bunker beside bunker, then about 5 88s, tank traps, mines (if i have enough ammo) and maybe nebelwerfers or the halftrack with those huge rockets! Or maybe I'll just make like 6 mortar teams, those Americans will never cross the river unless they get the artillery branch....

Upvote 0
Where the hell can I get the mp demo with those skirmish maps? Do you think it could be possible for one of you with the mp demo to email me the map file so I can add it to my game?

its a MP beta

and it works! I played against one AI with me and an AI ally for fun last night on Hilaire. You need to copy over that data file and the two art sga files across to the singple player demo WW2/Archive directory and overwrite the files
The data file is 73 megs, the art files 700 and 100+ megs. So noone is gonna email you the files :D

You can ignore the art files, but you will have lots of pink boxes for buildings and such :)

you can get it from fileplanet. There are torrents floating around as well
http://www.fileplanet.com/165202/160000/fileinfo/Company-of-Heroes-Multiplayer-Pre-Order-Client

the only thing is, unlike the MP beta, you can't swap starting positions with a button, only with the random position option

if you find the AI easy then try it on expert level then and choose a 1000 point victory point control :)
. Annhilation isn't the point of this game IMO. Play at least on hard, they just play better. Also they can be a real handful on the bigger maps. Semois has too many chokepoints

I dunno about the Axis side being better. I was watching the Axis AI have a ton of problems against the Allied AI last night.

You just need to play each side differently.
Remeber this is DDay, invasion of France, so the Allied motto is offense, unlike Axis who's total main and doc specials include cheap bunkers, Flak 88's, defensive MG's on production buildings, registered artillery and I would include propaganda; allies only defensive units/emplacements are really the .30 MG squad (partly) and the MG nest, everything else serves an offensive role.

Also the Para command tree can wipe out flak 88s with satchel charges easy as you like by dropping right onto of em, and even the recoiless rifle can destroy it in one shot - let alone the howister and mortars. They are pretty fragile, but nice when setup on a main intersection of a map, then it can command each road for a long way. But anytime they fire their position will show on the tactical map...

Having a Shrek for the infantry is nice, but the BAR is pretty good too.

I dunno I like the mobility of the Para command tree on Allied. You can easily do a recon flight over the Axis base, and paradrop AT guns, squads, and supply drop for a mortar and mg (which also gives you muntions and fuel) and your set to kill his base real smart when your on the brink of defeat :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
interesting I saw some stupidbehaviour from a recent AI game. He was Allied Amrour doctrine, and by end game was only building Calliope Shermans.....!

so once I got his base surrounded I had fun by blocking up the road where the Calliope Shermans arrive with tank traps, and surrounding that road cammo'ed AT guns and shrek'ed infantry :)

me thinks there is a bad bug or somethink going on with the armoured doctrine Allied AI....!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
unit charts

http://planetcoh.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Units.list

I can see that the Allied AT gun does more damange, but it falls off faster as the range increases. And the fact you can buy permanant veterancy for the Axis AT guns makes things prety unbalanced straight out the gates, but Allied can gain veterancy on the field quickly by killing things, whereas Axis can't.

Veterancy 1: Weapon accuracy increased by 50%
Veterancy 2: Weapon penetration increased by 50%
Veterancy 3: Weapon accuracy increased by 25%

Upvote 0
Been playing skirmish with the computer lately, it's really challanging when it's expert :) I was playing against hard in one game, the computer didn't do anything for like 10 minutes, his point went down from 1000 to 100. I was thinking how boring the game is when he made a "breakthrough" with 5 tanks and lots of infantry from a weak bridgehead. Although his big assault got mowed down with my 5 Nebelwerfer batteries, it was unusual to see :)

Also I noticed this game has better tank sounds from RO :D When you lower the camera, you can almost feel your monitor is shaking :) This game should hold me till TOW arrives.

Upvote 0
is there a file I can edit to make the population limit increase? I know some games you can edit a file for this like in Rome Total War.

The data folder appears to be empty for both MP and SP demos, and I copied everything over and started up the game and I don't see any new maps in the demo. Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind I figured out I had to copy the data file and not the folder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Been playing skirmish with the computer lately, it's really challanging when it's expert :) I was playing against hard in one game, the computer didn't do anything for like 10 minutes, his point went down from 1000 to 100. I was thinking how boring the game is when he made a "breakthrough" with 5 tanks and lots of infantry from a weak bridgehead. Although his big assault got mowed down with my 5 Nebelwerfer batteries, it was unusual to see :)

Also I noticed this game has better tank sounds from RO :D When you lower the camera, you can almost feel your monitor is shaking :) This game should hold me till TOW arrives.

No way in hell that anyone can beat expert, unless you can give me some proof like a replay.

Expert gets way more recources than humans, they made it that way because they **** at coding AI.

Upvote 0
Rak grab the MP beta and copy the files across as described above and you'll get 3 extra maps to play with in SKirmish mode :cool:

Make sure you backup the originals though, as once you do this, you lose the campaign missions. Also did anyone notice you can finish the Carentean one now unlike the beta demo?

Well after futzing with it all day, I have found the Allied AI isn't as good as the Axis AI! Or maybe the game is just imbalanced...
if I team up with the Allied AI, I let him do most of the capping while I tanktrap all but one exit from the base, plus barbed wire over the top to stop the Axis armour. I also make two 90 degree bends at the only open exit with tanktraps and barbed wire, so that Axis armour have to expose their rear ends to my dug in AT guns to get in - along with a few mortars :D

Once this is done then I can go enjoy myself, since I usually pick Paratroop command so mobility is not problem. I can drop into the enemies base and take out their base if I want too etc.
This is what I did last VPC game I played, just won with 70 left on the counter :)

Upvote 0
Will do that Blitz.

I just beat up Expert AI, and I must say I'm not impressed :) As Axis, I wired and antitank obstacled the right lower passes, and put a mortar and MG team for the defense of the upper bridge. Then fortified the bridge with sandbags and an 88 battery.

He just sat back and sent troops senselessly and kept withdrawing them. He didn't try to use the lower undefended routes the whole game. When my Nebelwerfers were in action, he was already finished. I think I won 988-0 :D I don't know what to say, maybe he didn't have any resources left :)

Upvote 0
No way in hell that anyone can beat expert, unless you can give me some proof like a replay.

Expert gets way more recources than humans, they made it that way because they **** at coding AI.

AI Cheats because making a non-cheating AI that can go toe to toe with a human ****s CPU. Personally I don't want the game to run like **** so the AI can be terrible still.

Upvote 0
Will do that Blitz.

I just beat up Expert AI, and I must say I'm not impressed :) As Axis, I wired and antitank obstacled the right lower passes, and put a mortar and MG team for the defense of the upper bridge. Then fortified the bridge with sandbags and an 88 battery.

He just sat back and sent troops senselessly and kept withdrawing them. He didn't try to use the lower undefended routes the whole game. When my Nebelwerfers were in action, he was already finished. I think I won 988-0 :D I don't know what to say, maybe he didn't have any resources left :)

if you want a challange then try it from the Allied side :)

Semois is not a good map too many chokepoints, if teh Allied can't get across the river and cap some resoruces, they won't have much to fight with. The bigger ones can be real bastard!
I've had 3 vs 3 games, where I was holding the far right VP real well, untill the AI cut behind the lines cutoff that VP off from my base, and then I couldn't reinforce it as he attacked it straight after with perfect timing, but I just scrapped through as the VP counter ticked down while a Knight's Cross unit charged at my one man depleted MG unit and a single AT gun - phew!
You don't see that with the small 1vs 1 maps

I think it also depends on which doctrine he follows. I get the best fights when he goes Infantry or Para. Armour isn't good for such a small and enclosed map like Semois

Now on the Allied side, the Axis AI will tank you to bits before you can reach em!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
is there a file I can edit to make the population limit increase? I know some games you can edit a file for this like in Rome Total War.

The data folder appears to be empty for both MP and SP demos, and I copied everything over and started up the game and I don't see any new maps in the demo. Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind I figured out I had to copy the data file and not the folder.

no mod tools, so no changes. I trtied opening the sga files with Dawn of War tools but they don't read it well

usually you just edit the file and then save it to the empty data directory

Upvote 0
who wants extra skirmish maps? :D

I uploaded that file for those with the demo but not the beta:
http://rapidshare.de/files/32277017/WW2Data.sga.html

You'll still need the art files from the beta to get complete graphics on one of the maps (St. Hilaire), but those are so big that it would be easier to get them from the beta (which you can download without key) than wait for an upload.

If you have both demo and beta just copy the complete archives folder from the beta to the demo.

Upvote 0
I love company of heroes (pissing about on the demo / semois last couple of days). Finding easy mode actually quite difficult relative to novice levels for other similar games. Love how everything is destructable and basic infantry sections are so versatile. Like previous posters have mentioned it is the little things that make it so... just wow. Definately recommend purchasing it if your PC can handle it.

Upvote 0