• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Artillery needs a greater spread

Dr. Peter Venkman

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2006
California
Currently Artillery is confined to too small of an area, to the point that it seems to downplay a role that should be more important and makes the overall effect seem unreal. As an example, there is a nice little area on Arad to the far right of the German spawn that Russians like to camp with their tanks. Most of you I take know what I am talking about. If one was to call artillery down on that spot, like I did, there is a great chance that you will not hit your target simply because they happen to be not in the 'happy zone' because the artillery is too confined. This goes with any map. Call down artillery and people can drive around because the zone is small.

I propose that artillery be given a wider spread, wide enough so that it could cover an area of the size of the North Village, but have the same amount of shells hit. That is, the same amount of shells simply over a larger area of effect. Increase the 'happy zone'.

happy zone, LOL. Nice way of putting it!

Wouldn't it depend on how far away (among MANY other variables, of course) the artillery battery is firing? Perhaps have a way to make it different for every map?

Also, looking for clarification, shouldn't the arty only 'kill' a tank if it is a direct hit? dirt and shrapnel wouldn't make any difference, except for the force of the explosion knocking the crew around like marbles in a soda can.

Just playing devil's advocate here, I'm in no way completely for or against. It definately warrants thought though :)

Upvote 0
They could add a setting in the map editor to set the spread of the shells, since on some maps the defenders could have pre-calibrated firing tables for the battlefield, and thus have better accuracy than their opponents.

You can already set the spread, number of cannons involved, number of barrages and the time inbetween barrages per map. Check out the Level info actor for that.

Upvote 0
Artillery has been working always in RO overall but if you ask me, the accuracy of artillery feels like being shot by mortar but the power seems to be like 240mm+ calibre arty :rolleyes:

No offense to devs but just my few cents.

Oh, and one nice suggestion they would make would be what sort of artillery.

F.E. when I call arty, I can choose do I want mortars to fire (accurate but less damage but possibly more overall barrage), some medium artillery (overall good damage, slighty inaccurate but overall bit less barrage) or some heavy artillery (huge damage, short (or very short) barrages and also inaccurate).

Upvote 0
Artillery has been working always in RO overall but if you ask me, the accuracy of artillery feels like being shot by mortar but the power seems to be like 240mm+ calibre arty :rolleyes:

No offense to devs but just my few cents.

Oh, and one nice suggestion they would make would be what sort of artillery.

F.E. when I call arty, I can choose do I want mortars to fire (accurate but less damage but possibly more overall barrage), some medium artillery (overall good damage, slighty inaccurate but overall bit less barrage) or some heavy artillery (huge damage, short (or very short) barrages and also inaccurate).

GREAT IDEA!! i totally agree with this, but maybe only like 3 options.

Upvote 0
Well, I believe mortars couldn't actually destroy tanks. Artillery shells definitely could, since they were hitting from above (where the tank has little armor) and were a lot heavier than mortar shells. For very large shells, indirect hits could destroy tracks, optics, some of the moving parts in the turret, and rattle the crew quite a bit. A very unlucky indirect hit may set off the ammunition maybe?

Upvote 0