• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why can I see farther from the drivers position than any other?

Hey sauce, he is talking about the fog distance. Not a zoom distance. It is also this way when in a building. If you look out a windo, there is no fog, then as soon as you step outside. BAM fog.

Couldnt tell you why.

Note, this doesnt happen in all buildings.

Valac, that's because of the Zone settings. All optimized buildings use portals in the doors, windows, and other openings to seal them off from the outside. When you can't see any of those openings from the outside, the interior of the building isn't rendered.

As part of the process, you add a ZoneInfo actor inside that building. The ZoneInfo is where the parameters for the distance/occlusion fog are set.

Let's say you walk in a door from the outside. You're going from one Zone to another, and if the Zone inside the building doesn't have fog settings, there will be no fog displayed outside either. You're standing inside the interior Zone and are being affected only by its fog settings.

The solution for mappers would be to make the interior fog settings the same as the outside ones. Unless you've got some really heavy fog or really huge building interiors, the interior visuals shouldn't be affected.

Upvote 0
Fog range also changes with your focus point. I have found that the fog seems thicker toward the center of my screen so that if I shift my center a little to one side or the other I can actuall see targets appear as if out of nowhere. Kind of odd really.

I think that's because in reality you would have a vision arc and would be able to see the furthest to your front. So the area you can see is a pie-slice shape with your head being at the point.

I'm guessing in the game the distance is calculated from straight in front of you and rather than the distance curving to the edge of your vision it will be a straight line so making a triangle shape instead of the pie shape. So by using pythagoras the "edges" of your vision will actually be further away that what is directally in front of you.

Did that make sence? :D

Upvote 0
The way fog works in video games is that the fog surrounds your position in a sphere.

Let's say Point A is straight ahead of you, and because of the fog, it's just out of sight. If you turn your viewing position so that Point A is at the farthest left of your monitor, you would be able to see Point A because of the fog sphere.

Does anyone understand what I am tyring to say?

I don't think this has much to do with the tank thing though.

Upvote 0
Brooksay is wrong, and Darcy is right.

The fog is rendered as a plane perpendicular to your line of sight.
.....................|
.....................|
you------------|
........(los)......|
.....................|
.................fog line

the periods are because I can't put a bunch of spaces in the post.

As you can see the diagonal to the "edges" of the fog line are longer than the straight ahead. So things you see at the far edges often dissapear when you center your view.

Upvote 0
How much further are we talking about?

The Fustrum effect can contribute, but shouldn't enable you to see signifigantly further..

It's most noticable on Bondarevo but it happens on the other maps as well. I can pull up in a Russian tank and from the driver position (buttoned or unbuttoned) see a German tank in the distance, but when I switch to the commander, I see fog in all views (gun sight, binoculars and just looking). Since both positions are looking at the same target at the same angle/distance, I don't see how the Fustrum effect can be causing this.

I need to take a screen shot. I can't be the only player to notice this.

Upvote 0