• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
1. This was the sadest thing all year.
2. Why the hell would you say "oh the show wasnt that good anyway"? Why would you say that. THat doesnt get rid of the fact that he died.

I think we all need to send their family a prayer :-(

I think what jaesperson meant was that its a matter of perspective here, I mean come on, this is tragic and sad, and one shouldnt really discuss "level of sadness" when someone dies, but "Sadest thing all year",?? I'm afraid the thousands of children who die every single day from easily curable diseases and hunger will once again take that award home this year, as every year..

All that aside, Irwin was a great man, he did what he loved the most, and he made alot of people and animals happy doing it, he died all too soon and he will be missed.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I really can't believe this. I can't believe he died. RIP Steve :(

What? That he was killed by one of the animals he regularly annoys, or that the deadly animal wasn't something from a "top-ten deadliest" list, but a lowly stingray?

That's the part that gets me. No saltwater crocs, no death adders, no funnelweb spiders... just a friggin stingray like the ones that sting hundreds or thousands of people a year, non-fatally in the overwhelming majority of cases.

That he got whacked by an animal doesn't come as any surprise, unless you mean that it didn't happen sooner. THAT was a surprise.

But a friggin stingray!? It's like a BASE jumper that's jumped off nearly everything in the world dying after falling off a stepladder in his kitchen while changing a lightbulb and splitting his skull.

I feel bad for his family. He probably should have toned it down a bit after having kids.

Upvote 0
What? That he was killed by one of the animals he regularly annoys, or that the deadly animal wasn't something from a "top-ten deadliest" list, but a lowly stingray?

That's the part that gets me. No saltwater crocs, no death adders, no funnelweb spiders... just a friggin stingray like the ones that sting hundreds or thousands of people a year, non-fatally in the overwhelming majority of cases.

That he got whacked by an animal doesn't come as any surprise, unless you mean that it didn't happen sooner. THAT was a surprise.

But a friggin stingray!? It's like a BASE jumper that's jumped off nearly everything in the world dying after falling off a stepladder in his kitchen while changing a lightbulb and splitting his skull.

I feel bad for his family. He probably should have toned it down a bit after having kids.

Well, most people get stung in the foot, leg, etc. Since he was swimming on top of it, it unfortunately pierced his chest, and into his heart. And getting stung can be deadly as well, because when you are stung, if you are in dirty water, it can get into your leg and infect it, causing you to undergo major surgery or amputation. And accidents happen.

Upvote 0
It is sad, in part because he was such a major advocate of wildlife in general, and endangered species in particular. You may not like him, but his friendly and engaging nature certainly turned people's attention toward the problems of disappearing habitat and extinction. I know we're all stone cold killers here :rolleyes:, but give a moment for someone who stood for what's right in the world.

Cheers, mate. You'll be missed.

Upvote 0
****s to get taken out by a freak accident with a stingray, who woulda thought the stinger could stab somebody right through the heart.

If I was him, I would have liked to been taken out by a newly encountered 30 foot long super-croc. This would have occured after the super-croc jumped out of the ocean and dragged my helicopter down to the depths. After escaping from the firey ruins of the helicopter, I would have chased down the super-croc and engaged in harrowing hand-to-tail combat, with mortal kombat music kicking in from the helo's wreck. After 15 days of fighting, both the super-croc and I would have been destroyed by an erupting underwater super-volcano.

****s to get killed by a stingray :mad: poor Steve.

Upvote 0
****s to get taken out by a freak accident with a stingray, who woulda thought the stinger could stab somebody right through the heart.

Stingrays can have stings up to 10 inches long apparently. That shouldn't be too hard to get that into the heart if the aim is right, especially if it went between the ribs. Not likely, but possible. Authorities say this is only the 3rd stingray related death in Australia (and the only one caught on film).

They say with Irwin above, and the camera man in front, the stingray probably felt cornered, and did what most cornered animals do - lash out.

Ironically, he was originally out in the ocean filming for a "World's Deadliest" documentary, but couldn't film because of the weather. So they went to shallow waters so he could tape some stuff for Bindi's kid's TV show.

It's quite a shock to see him go. RIP.

Prayers to his family, and the families of everyone who just lost loved ones.

Upvote 0