• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG suggestions.

I've been playing RO for over a year, not a week.

If all there is to complain about are the pop up riflemen (I know, it is frustrating), then we should implement America's Army's system of suppression. Your accuracy is reduced depending on how much fire you're taking. So, if a MG has got you pinned down, you're more likely to want to move out of sight so you can get off an accurate shot.

Upvote 0
I haven't read the whole thread i'm afraid because i am sure the same things keep coming up.

Personally i don't have a problem with the accuracy of the MGs, especially the MG42, you just need to practice aiming at different ranges and to use short bursts.

In my opinion the only improvements needed are:

1) Cancel Reload option - it's a bit silly that once you've pressed reload you can't change your mind when seeing you are in 'mortal' danger and have to watch the entire animation up until you are delt the Coup de Grace.

2) Taking cover while reloading

3) Belt-fed MG34 option/longer 250-round belts

4) More Suppression-Blur/Inaccuracy - for those on the receiving end of MGs

5) Faster Reload time - i agree with what someone said earlier about seeming to be on a picnic.

6) MG42 sound? The echo, as if being fired from inside a building even when outside in wide open spaces (not really that important but it's always annoyed me).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1) Cancel Reload option - it's a bit silly that once you've pressed reload you can't change your mind when seeing you are in 'mortal' danger and have to watch the entire animation up until you are delt the Coup de Grace.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIX THIS. I can't agree more. It's annoying when I start reloading and then watch as some guy can take his time picking me off while I'm stuck reloading. At least with a rifle or something you can reload behind cover, but the only way you can do that with an MG is by picking it back up, going prone behind cover, setting it up there, reloading, and then putting it back in position to fire. And that's a pain in the ass.

Oh, and if you're about to get shot, you can drop your gun to cancel the reload. But that's also a pain in the ass.

Also, did machine gunners normally have just two barrels with them? Because I find myself overheating both barrels pretty often. I wish there was a way to use more or something.

Upvote 0
Personally i don't have a problem with the accuracy of the MGs, especially the MG42, you just need to practice aiming at different ranges and to use short bursts.

i agree with all the point u have execpt for saying that the accuracy shouldnt be changed. I tried all three mgs today and the DP seems to be just right. The 34 doesnt seem to be going even close to where the IS are. Try some single shots and you will see what i mean. The 42 just seems so inaccuate, even in small burst. I can't tell you how many times im getting sniped be a ppsh because it is just to inaccurate. This brings an onther issue where when the ppsh is supported is doesnt have any recoil, the mp40 as at least some...

Anyway back on topic i a agree with what you said. It seem like the first shots from the germans mgs should be more accureate and not randomized.

Upvote 0
It seems like the german mgs didn't get as much polishing before release as other wepons. I know i read somewhere that they where going to work on the mg system but havent seen or heard anything since then. I only hope their silence means that they are working hard on at least a few of our suggestion. TW has had a history of been very quit about what they are doing and it has been exra quit for awhile now...

Upvote 0
mg34 semi auto IMO is fubared. I shoot and at what i think is probable 100 meters, it lands 4-5 feet off target, um ok do pitch bullets just like a major league baseball pitcher?

It seems to work fine when deployed, but I remember firing it in semi auto mode while standing up (not deployed) and the bullet would land five feet to the left, even on a wall in front of me. :confused:

Upvote 0
Out shot by a mp41? I hope that was a joke because if you know how to use the mg42 you can make long shots;as long as a rifle

you can be as skilled you want, you will find your self often in situations, where you get owned by a rifle ...

fact is, letz say a a riflemen and Mg guner meet in game (the mg deployed of course), both with somewhat near the same "level" in there skills, the Machineguner will most of the time loose the battle betweem them 2.

Cause of the lack for penetration and cause of the "general" inaccuracy from the mg, the first shot CAN hit the riflemen, but its somewhat luck, cause the mg, is not 100% behaving always accurate, while in real live, up to 200-300m it does usualy, at least enough, to not let the rifle men pop up his lidle head. In Ro the rifles, in combination with the "pop-up" tactics, leaning out from cover, giving a fast shoot AND there near always 100% accuracy, give them a advantage over the machinguner, which ... as much skill you have, can in game, very often not realy be compensated.

This makes RO, somewhat very unrealistic, cause its not like you stay in front of a mg, behind cover and stick evry 5 seconds your head out, to make a shoot, cause, well, usualy you woud be dead then, maybe not the first time, but maybe the second, if you have ever so much luck. Pop us shooting works of course only in movies, in real live you will not have so fast as in ro the accuracy after you rized up your iron sight AND stand up in the same time ...

Upvote 0
Pop-up shooting does work, not when you're going for accuracy though (and not to any obscene amount like exposing your whole torso).

Comparing real life to the game though in that respect is a big tough. Things like weapon ROFs and temperatures and ballistic profiles and all can very easily be represented in numbers in a game. The fear that an MG42 would understandably instill in it's targets can't be accounted for, unless they want to make a game where you can only ever play it with one life, period (biometric-linked to your STEAM profile? LOL).

So, we have to decide, do we 'cheat' the realism factor of the MGs until they reach the desired effect or just model them as realistically as possible and make the players sort out the rest. When I say 'we' I mean TWI, but as much as the team makes the game the community does too, or else we wouldn't be having discussions like this one going on.

Aww ****it, I'm rambling. Quitting and dreaming up a scheme for a one-life-only true war sim, linked to your real person by retinal scanning. Awesomeness. Lag death would **** ass though :(

Upvote 0