• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Varient Request

Faustnik

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2006
Some really useful tanks could be added with minimal graphic changes to existing models:

T-70
Kv1 (early, heavily armored version)
PzIIIH (50mm KwK38 L/42)

Maybe these are already in the game and I just have not seen them yet?

Anyway, thanks for listening. I love RO!!!!!!! :)

Kv1 (early, heavily armored version)

There are main 6 variants of the KV1

I *think* RO has the KV1s

KV1 m.40 1A
  • Medium Armor (thicker than the T34 but not sloped and with many weak spots)
  • a poor F-32 76.2mm gun
  • A angular turret
  • Production from 1940 (june) until 1942
  • kv1_side.jpg
KV1 m.41 1B
  • Very thick armor
  • Slihtly slower Speed
  • Much better ZIS5 76.2mm gun
  • A slightly rounded turret
  • Production from 1941 (august) until 1943
  • kv-1-2.jpg
KV1s
  • Worse armor than the m.40
  • Faster than the m.40
  • Improved ZIS5L Gun
  • Rounded turret (most versions)
  • Production from 1942(november) until 1949
  • Picture is a captured russian KV1S
kv1s.jpg

KV1E m.41 1C
  • Even more armor than m.40 1B - this is a russian tiger!
  • Slower speed
  • Good ZIS5L gun
  • Old style angular turret (not all versions)
  • Small production from 1942 (march) Until 1943
03389.jpg

KV2
  • Based on the m.40 1A, but slightly weaker armor
  • Very Slow
  • Huge 152.4mm M10 Gun HE ammo only
  • Huge turret to house gun
  • Limited production from 1940 - 1943
KV2.jpg

KV8s
  • A rare flame throwing tank based on the KV1
kv8.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The KV2 "Cheesebox" was actually difficult for the Germans to destroy despite its noted weaknesses. Panzers usually had to gang up on it like they did a lone
T34. The KV2's turret armor was thick enough to withstand the 75mm AP rounds from long to mid ranges. The Kv2's 152mm gun was fitted later on. The early versions came with the 122mm cannon.

Upvote 0
[LEFT said:
komet[/left];193594]The KV2 "
Cheesebox
" was actually difficult for the Germans to destroy despite its noted weaknesses.
Panzers
usually had to gang up on it like they did a lone
T34. The KV2's turret armor was thick enough to withstand the 75mm AP rounds from long to mid ranges. The Kv2's 152mm gun was fitted later on. The early versions came with the 122mm cannon.

There is a bit of a myth about KV2 armor. The chassis was the same as the m.40, but the turret had less armor, especially at the sides and it provided a huge flat target.
The KV armor got its reputation because it could take most hits from the 5cm guns that most German tanks had in the first summer offensive. It could also withstand low velocity 75mm AP. However, high velocity 75mm rounds could usually penetrate KV armor.
N.B. This is based on penetration tables for the guns and the KVs and not on first hand accounts. Altho there are first hand accounts of the uselessness of 5cm guns on KV tanks.

*EDIT* Looks like this forum doesn't like my spell checker!

Upvote 0
Panzer IV's only had short-barrel 75 mm until 1942, the last year of KV-2's production. The KV was really an early war tank - by the time 1943 rolled around, the Red Army already had superior replacements.

Not really.
KVs Production went on until 1949 and the KVs wasnt de-mobed until the 50s.
The KV tanks of all varients (with the exception of the KV2** and KV8s) served throughout the war.
From Barbarossa to Berlin and at the start of the cold war you could see KV tanks.
Even the IS-1 used a slightly modifyed KV hull!

**KV2 stopped being used offensivly as it was too slow to keep up with other tanks in the field and most of them had been destroyed before production was lost due to factorys being captured

Upvote 0
Not really.
KVs Production went on until 1949 and the KVs wasnt de-mobed until the 50s.
The KV tanks of all varients (with the exception of the KV2** and KV8s) served throughout the war.
From Barbarossa to Berlin and at the start of the cold war you could see KV tanks.
Even the IS-1 used a slightly modifyed KV hull!

**KV2 stopped being used offensivly as it was too slow to keep up with other tanks in the field and most of them had been destroyed before production was lost due to factorys being captured
Well, I was referring to the KV-2, since that was what you were replying to originally... And besides the KV-1S, production stopped in 1943. They served throughout the war, but this is kind of a moot point - I'm sure there were some Pz III's driving around by the end of the war as well, simply because there was nothing better to do with them.

On another note, it would be interesting if more variations of the T-34 (I believe the 76 mm version in-game is the 1942 model juding by turret shape... but I could be wrong) could be added. For some of them, the model probably wouldn't even need to change, as they were externally very similar, but had different internal ergonomics - could be reflected with different loading speeds. There was also a high-velocity 57 mm (I think - maybe it was 59 or something like that) version of which about 200 were produced or converted, though that may be too small a number to represent.

Upvote 0