• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Company of Heroes SP Beta OUT

Too scripted to enjoy for my taste.

How so? The Omaha beach level is scripted in that no matter where you stick your forces, the breach is only in the one location, but I can't think of any other way.

I've tried a few different defense setups on the Carentan level and no matter what I try, that Germany artillery really just kicks the living **** out of me. Last time I tried, the first shell annihilated 75% of one of the bridge defenses for me. All that was left was a machinegun crew and a squad of engineers sitting beside the rubble of my machinegun emplacement, which used to contain a paratrooper squad.

I'd like to actually be able to FINISH the Carentan mission though.

Upvote 0
It wasn't that hard. What you gotta do is build a few mg emplacements covering the bridges (4-6 will do) while you do that build some AT guns, once your emplacements are done put some mines all over the bridges, and build sandbags in good position to watch the bridges, once you do that move your AT guns behind the bags, once all your ATs are deployed build a bunch of mgs and put them in buildings and behind sandbags to watch the bridge, after which you build 3-4 mortar teams and set them up near the HQ facing the bridges. Then make the rest of your infantry and distribute them evenly, and make sure you upgrade them with bazookas and give the engineers the flame throwers. Once the attack starts you will own them completely for about half the time, then the arty starts, and once you start taking casualties from it, retreat the targeted area back to HQ and quickly set them up for Defense, once each bridge is pounded by arty retreat them, abandon the AT guns, then they will shell the HQ so you have to pull your guys back to the church asap, make sure you build a couple engineers to build some sandbags and even an mg nest if you can, and then build more paratroopers and put some people in the buildings near the church to cover all directions, then pray. If you bothered to read this, then you will win.

Upvote 0
4-6 MG emplacements is total overkill. I went with an MG squad and a para squad w/ MG42 on one bridge, and 2 .30cal squads on each other bridge. That's not a problem at all. I also have one MG emplacement on each bridge with plenty of sandbags. Sandbags are free and you have 15 minutes, so why not? I make 2 v-shapes of sandbags on each side of each bridge, I put an AT gun and a MG crew in each one with my MG emplacements (one on each bridge) right in the middle. The 2 AT guns are plenty to deal with any of the tanks, and 3 Machineguns pouring fire on the infantry is more than enough. The only problem before the arty is potentially shooting a tank and having it go out of control into your position. Had that happen once, I went berserk, as I lost the entire bridge defense short of one AT gun and a MG crew. I ended up just falling back to the church right then.

PS. The retreat to the church is usually extremely hectic. I fall back immediately BEFORE the first artillery strike starts to come. That way you take minimal casualties. I also use pause to ensure everything gets done properly. Pause helps a great deal, so you don't move your AT guns back while leaving MG crews to shoot their .30 cals at tanks. :D

Note that there are some pickups scattered around the map. 2-3 MG42's, a couple of MP44s and at least one Panzerschreck. Very helpful.

Upvote 0
I've only found one panzerschrek and one mg42, but for some reason it wouldn't let me move the mg42.......wierd. I think you pulled your troops out way to early at the fist arty strike, you usually last through the first couple arties, but then they really figure out where you are and pound you. You just have to watch for red smoke, you see red smoke, drop your AT gun and RUUUUUN!!!! I usually get my forces to fall back to the main HQ where I have sandbags premade. I havn't tooken over the other side of the river yet, I might try that here in a second.

I never knew there was a pause button.

Upvote 0