• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation A few msh questions

Question 1: You're probably trying to save too many polygons in this case. I would build the interior of the door as well.

Question 2: You will need to import the textures into ROEd in order for them to show up, obviously. If you are using 3ds Max, then there is an option when you export to include the materials and the mappings. Make sure these are checked otherwise the textures will be all messed up when you import.

HTH

Upvote 0
This might be a usefull thing. The game uses backface culling so that's why the backside of your polygons doesn't show up. There is no way to avoid this except doubling up the polygons. I don't know if XSI has this sort of option, but Maya has a display option to put Backface Culling on. That way you can see in your 3dapp how its going to look ingame.

And about the texture, the UVmap gets saved inside the .ASE, the texture needs to be seperately imported into UEd in .TGA or .BMP

Upvote 0
In the editor, go to the staticmesh browser, select your model.
In the property window at the bottom the top entry is material. If you have 3 materials (sorry, coming from Maya there, dont know how it works with XSI) on your mesh when exporting it from XSI you should see 3 different materials there. (e.g. there should be [0],[1],[2] when you extend the view)
After you imported the textures, put the appropriate textures in the according material slots. (Select the texture in the texture browser, swithc to the mesh browser, select the material slot you want this texture to go and hit the 'use' button, rinse and repeat for the other two)

When the UVmap seems to be an ass, i think i remember some issue where the texture has to be inverted to work correctly in UE. I think someone else might have to comment on that, but iirc i had that issue once.

Let us now how it works out. (the plugin looks a little different from the one maya uses)

worluk

btw. may I use this place to rant about that DAMN BUBBLE NULL TEXTURE?
I hate it, every time i see it my stomache turns in a very hurting manner :(

Upvote 0
Of the three textures that are shown but not mapped correctly: UnrealEd, and therefore ROed, tends to flip the textures once they are imported.

Simply make copies of your textures, flip them vertically, and import them into UnrealEd/ROed. Although the texture will be inverted, your static mesh will appear with the proper UVMapping.

Regarding the number of materials listing in ROed. Can't you just reassign all the polies to the appropriate material entry? Sorry, like Worluk, I'm used to MAYA.

Upvote 0