• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Asus Extreme 7900 GT TOP acting up!

Werner

Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2006
My 4 months old Asus 7900 GT TOP 256 MB graphics card has caused me some serious headache during the last two months. First it worked mighty fine but suddenly it started to create strange shadow and lighting bugs even though I hadn't installed new drivers, damaged it or anything. Then I uninstalled the old drivers that came along with the card itself (they worked fine at first), ran Driver Cleaner Pro and installed the newest working NVIDIA drivers... But it didn't help at all.

Also, my TV-out doesn't seem to work anymore but I'm not 100% sure of that (it worked with a Nokia television but after I moved and bought a 25'' Sony Trinitron, it doesn't give any signal). It just maybe some compability error which I can't affect in any way.

Since my graphics card has a 36 month warranty, I visited the store I had bought it from. They said they could take a look at it, test it with 3D Mark 2006 and a working TV and see if the fault is in my drivers or Windows or is the card itself dysfunctional. But if it works perfectly in their PCs and telly, I have to pay a checking fee of 29 euros. :(

So, is there any way to tell if the graphic bugs are due to actual card dysfunction or just some driver bug? I've been suffering from these bugs in almost every game: Red Orchestra, all Source games, Soldiers: Heroes of WWII, Faces of War demo, Trackmania Nations and Warhammer: Dawn of War. In the last two I don't get black and white flicker but instead some strange 3D lines with only one texture stretch in strange ways. It sometimes makes DoW unplayable when the screen is gradually filled with colored lines.

Here are some sample pictures of my problem:

Red Orchestra:

rosc2.gif

Half-Life 2:
hl2qc0.gif

Faces of War:
fowds4.gif

My specifications are:

Asus A8N-SLi Premium motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego processor
Kingston HyperX Kit, 1024+1024 MB 400 MHz Dual Channel Memory
Seagate Barracuda SerialATAII 7200.9 250GB Hard disk
Asus Extreme GF 7900GT TOP 256MB PCI-E Graphics card
Running on Windows XP Home edition with latest updates and SP2

Should I take a risk and take my card to the shop? The clerk himself said that my problems sound like the problem is with the card itself. Please help!

3 months ago i bought the same card.
you just scared me but when i read that.

i remember when i installed that card first the cooler fan was blowing right on top of another PCI Card i had there and overheated very quickly due to my bad airflow in that case.

maybe you damaged your card really by heat or damaged on of those small "SMD" parts (resistors/capacitors) that can cause incorrect work but wont crash that card directly

stress the card with all test and put it in another computer and do the same before you can clearly say its broken.

Upvote 0