• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shotguns in games

I can't believe noone remembered the shotgun from Deus Ex. Not only was it magazine fed, it could fire special anti-armor sabot ammunition for use against robots. I can't remember all the mods you could get for it, at the least laser sight, clip extenders and speed loaders. It was a good example of a futuristic shotgun, as you describe.

Upvote 0
Which brings us to another important question:

Why do lasers sound "pfieuw pfieuw" in computer games and movies. At uni I have been close to a laser that was strong enough to burn trough a humans skin and it didn't sound anything at all (except for the cooling fans, but they give more of a constant humming noise like a air cooled computer (no surprise since the fans are the same as in an computer))?

and why do I hear the explosions and lasers in star wars?!?! there is no sound in space!!!11

Upvote 0
and why do I hear the explosions and lasers in star wars?!?! there is no sound in space!!!11

Fanboy answer: because SW is a classic space opera, where drama and excitement take precedence.

Realistic answer: because Lucas didn't know jack about physics ;)

Yeah, Deus Ex's shotgun was pretty impressive, but I preferred the assault rifle: silencer ftw :)

Upvote 0
plus you would never see a laser "fly" to a target. As soon as the trigger was pulled it would be at the target. The "laser" beams you see in starwars etc would have to be something like ion beams or similar. (omg stop me doing a physcis degree now!!)
Except in space, where they'd take a seconds to minutes to reach their target unless they're very close(within a few lightseconds). Even still, lasers at space combat distances wouldn't be very powerful and its more likely missles would be used far more often.

Upvote 0
The only reasons why bullets are still used in futuristic games is simple: bullets > lasers gameplay wise.
Its cooler to load a new magazine instead of a power cell, its nicer to hear 'dadadadada' instead of 'pfieuw pfieuw',...
And shotguns are one of my favorites, simply because I like my combat close, personal and bloody.

Lasers woulden't make very good infantry weapons, bullets are so effective because they are brutal, they tumble, fragment, tear, and then theres the shockwave, they cause some very nasty wounds, that, even if not fatally hit, can kill by bloodloss or infection, not to mention leaking toxins from your own body into your bloodstream.

A powerful laser on the other hand, would burn a nice clean hole through someone, and quite posibly also burn the edges of the wound preventing any serious bleeding or infection.. its just not the brutal killer a chunk of speeding metal is.

To get a laser anywhere that lethal, it would have to be a massive and very powerfull thing, but then, even if you could carry it, it could not be opperated safely, a real "collateral damage" problem would arrise from massive over penetration.

The humble bullet is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Upvote 0

I can see bullets tipped with high explosive as the final evolution. Then we will probably see plasma used as either a heavy infantry weapon or used on vehicles. Or a shotgun that shoots a spread of plasma! Oh yeah... :p

/superduperedit

I realize high explosive rounds are used, but I mean't more of a 'smart' round that explodes after hitting soft tissue; but then act like regular bullets after hitting a hard surface.

Upvote 0
Lasers woulden't make very good infantry weapons, bullets are so effective because they are brutal, they tumble, fragment, tear, and then theres the shockwave, they cause some very nasty wounds, that, even if not fatally hit, can kill by bloodloss or infection, not to mention leaking toxins from your own body into your bloodstream.

A powerful laser on the other hand, would burn a nice clean hole through someone, and quite posibly also burn the edges of the wound preventing any serious bleeding or infection.. its just not the brutal killer a chunk of speeding metal is.

To get a laser anywhere that lethal, it would have to be a massive and very powerfull thing, but then, even if you could carry it, it could not be opperated safely, a real "collateral damage" problem would arrise from massive over penetration.

Actually lasers would be great as anti-infantry weapons when mounted on vehicles or fixed positions as a replacement for machineguns, it'd be just as effective and far cheaper. They cauterize the wounds and there's no chance of a ricocheting glancing shot.

If anything, infantry weapons would be the only thing a laser would be really good for, unless one can get a laser to punch through heavy armor in an instant, and even then it'd only work before precautions would be taken to prevent laser damage to armor. And unless you're at point point point blank range in space(point defense weaponry maybe), lasers don't do that much as offensive weapons. They're fast, but not powerful.

Upvote 0
Lasers don't necessarily leave nice neat holes. Depending on the type, you could also get pretty nasty damage from vaporizing parts of the target infantryman. With enough power, a maser (microwave laser) would vaporize the body's water molecules at the point of impact, blowing a sizeable chunk out of the guy. Lasers also have the advantage of being perfectly accurate regardless of distance or wind - although they eventually diffuse.

A good futuristic bullet might have internal guidance systems in addition to an explosive tip - you just fire a burst and they seek out human sized heat signatures in the area. I think the US Army was looking at rifle launched micro-rockets that would do something similar, but they downgraded it to the grenade launcher on the OICW when they found it to be too difficult for current technology.

Upvote 0
Except in space, where they'd take a seconds to minutes to reach their target unless they're very close(within a few lightseconds). Even still, lasers at space combat distances wouldn't be very powerful and its more likely missles would be used far more often.

There's no atmosphere in space, which means the only limit on laser range is natural dispersion and targeting. Lasers take a LONG time to naturally disperse, as well.

The biggest problem with missiles is the flight time. Lets say you can do .1c with your ships, your missles three times that. If you're firing from 10ls out, the missile is going to take 200 seconds to catch up to a fleeing target. Over three minutes for the target's point defense to see the missile, aim at it, and shoot it down.

Upvote 0