• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Well, I have seen a couple Computer Hardware Threads...

However, I think in RO... Monitor Size and Quality is king for long distance shots...

I used to struggle with my 17" CRT with round glass...
I eventually got sick of getting shot without knowing or being capable of seeing where it came from...

So Now.. I have a 24" Flat & Wide, Sony CRT (my lights dim when I turn it on) (My cigarette ashes get pulled to the screen even 25 cm away)

Its Glorious.... now I see people, and the poor ****ers with the 17" have a hard time to see me..

MUAHAAHAHAHHAHAA Bigger = Better

Well, I have seen a couple Computer Hardware Threads...

However, I think in RO... Monitor Size and Quality is king for long distance shots...

I used to struggle with my 17" CRT with round glass...
I eventually got sick of getting shot without knowing or being capable of seeing where it came from...

So Now.. I have a 24" Flat & Wide, Sony CRT (my lights dim when I turn it on) (My cigarette ashes get pulled to the screen even 25 cm away)

Its Glorious.... now I see people, and the poor ****ers with the 17" have a hard time to see me..

MUAHAAHAHAHHAHAA Bigger = Better

Sony GDMFW900? You lucky lucky bastard :p Shame they dont make them anymore, im even thinking of going back to CRT myself untill SED or OLED takes off becuase im sick of the current LCD technology and all the ****e its put me through.

Anyway im using a 16x12 20" LCD, and i know exactly what you mean about the screen size counts for long rage shots. I could never go back to anything smaller than 1600x1200 pixels on a screen with less than 20" of viewable space.

Upvote 0
Sony GDMFW900? You lucky lucky bastard :p Shame they dont make them anymore, im even thinking of going back to CRT myself untill SED or OLED takes off becuase im sick of the current LCD technology and all the ****e its put me through.

Anyway im using a 16x12 20" LCD, and i know exactly what you mean about the screen size counts for long rage shots. I could never go back to anything smaller than 1600x1200 pixels on a screen with less than 20" of viewable space.

Not sure if thats what I have...
All I know is its a sony screen, that it is 24" widescreen and true flat.
And I know its been discontinued, and that it is one of the last crt monitors made...

here is a pic
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/948041/DSC00852.JPG

Got it for 270$ canadian refurbished... but I think it might just die within the next 8 months... it is a little shaky at moments... and i have some missing colors on the top right corner... but it does a Fantastic job on games...

if it dies, I will go to where I bought it and tell them to re-refurbish it...
its not a screen that I want to lose... its so big and jucy

Upvote 0
I play on a gorgious $250 19" Viewsonic P95f+ CRT that's capable of 2048x1536 resolution. It even has a button to change the brightness settings from 1x-3x-4x depending on what I'm doing (or depending on how warm I want the room to be!). The color is amazing. The picture is perfect. The only limitation I have is that my video card can't play games at the resolutions it's capable of. I have an:

Athlon64 3200+ (2.2ghz)
1gb DDR-400 RAM
Geforce 6800GT 256mb
SB X-Fi

I play RO at 1600x1200, everything maxed, with 4x Anti-aliasing and 8x Anisotropic Filtering enabled. Framerate isn't super spectacular (25-40), but it's more than playable, and I can pick out targets from hundreds of meters away.

One of these days I'll pick up a good LCD, but for the most part, I don't think they hold much of a candle compared to CRT's other than generating a LOT less heat, taking up a LOT less space, and generally being easier on the eyes. As far as picture, brightness, speed, and color though, you can't beat a solid CRT.

Upvote 0
And I know its been discontinued, and that it is one of the last crt monitors made...

here is a pic

Got it for 270$ canadian refurbished... but I think it might just die within the next 8 months... it is a little shaky at moments... and i have some missing colors on the top right corner... but it does a Fantastic job on games...

I would measure that monitor again if i were you, judging by the pic it is only slightly bigger than the keyboard,and a standard k/board is only 18inches wide.
Remember its only the diagonal size across the glass that counts when measuring.

Upvote 0

here is a pic

Thats the GDMFW900 alright, its legendary. And yeah its one of, if not the best CRT ever made.

I dont know why they gave up on them. I bet theres thousends of people who would buy one if they could.

Upvote 0