• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Scope range adjustment

Stop being a sniper junky. There are other aspects to this game that are much more fun imo that sitting back and lobbing bullets at people. If you truely want to be a real elite sniper, learn how to actually compensate for the drop and once you learn you will be damned good, thats much more satisfying than having to press one button to adjust the range and do all the work for you.

Upvote 0
WW2 era scopes were fixed power (usually from 1.5 to 8 power) and didn't have bullet drop compensators.;)

The scopes of the era were fixed power but they did have bullet drop compensation they also had wind compensation. These "compensators" were knobs on the scopes casing that when dialed would shift the wires that made up the crosshair in the scopes image, for range and bulle drop this would have moved the horizontal bar up and down.

Upvote 0
Thats very untrue, Theres a lot of maps on this game that are far and wide, and require to aim higher to hit the target.

But how much do you really have to compensate, maybe a 1/16 of an inch? I have hit enemies from VERY far away without a scope (I want to say 300 or 400m, but it's hard to judge in game distances) and while I couldn't see exactly where the bullet hit him because at that point they are like 2 or 3 pixels, I did not compensate for any drop. I've never needed to compensate for any drop so far, and that includes hitting guys that are so far away you only know you hit them because of the death message. I just get the sights on them and fire, as long as they don't move while the bullet is flying, they're dead.

Personally i don't get the whole sniper thing, I'd rather be in the capzone, and hitting guys from that far away without a scope is somehow more satisfying. But as long as someone with a sniper rifle is covering my ass in the capzone so that we can win, I'm all for it.

Upvote 0
I think it would be neat to have the adjustments on the scopes if... the real guns had them. i never bothered to do any reasearch into the old scopes they used. But there is some times when a good sniper has to compensate for bulletdrop. Most maps are too small to need to but personaly i love to snipe from Across the river on barashaka and that is far enough to need to compensate. Personaly i think the sites in the scope are too big. I havnt used any scopes that were that old but the few i have used the crosshairs didnt block the target you were aiming at they were much thinner. When making those real long range shots on still targets you end up having the whole person hidden behind the crosshair. Its kinda annoying. But i really dont know if thats accurate for those or what.

Upvote 0
Simple solution, European trained snipers usually worked with the zero they had set on their rifles. Shifting the POA (Point of impact) was sometimes uncertain, and not always as positive as you'd find on your modern leupold or tasco. Stop watching the sniper scene in Saving Private and get some range time in, or at least a few good books.

Snipers would simply deal with a 200-300 metre zero and learn where to hold.

Also, the game just doesn't need it. Over the ranges in the game the effect is negligable.

Upvote 0
Simple solution, European trained snipers usually worked with the zero they had set on their rifles. Shifting the POA (Point of impact) was sometimes uncertain, and not always as positive as you'd find on your modern leupold or tasco. Stop watching the sniper scene in Saving Private and get some range time in, or at least a few good books.

Snipers would simply deal with a 200-300 metre zero and learn where to hold.

Also, the game just doesn't need it. Over the ranges in the game the effect is negligable.

2nd. It's impractical to try and constantly adjust a scope at the range (unless you're zeroing in, and thus there to do just that), and probably a pretty damn dumb idea to try on the battlefield (you lose your target by the time you're adjusted, you get taken out by a sniper seeing the movement, so on and so forth).

Upvote 0