• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How fix the "APC Taxi"

Teq

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2006
In many a game I have witnessed players driving their APC to a capzone, parking it there while people wait for it to respawn for hours back in the spawnzone.

At this time you must either destroy the damn thing for it to respawn or wait for a long time... So I found a way that might fix this:

Vehicle Recycle Function:

* One sollution might be that the driver has the abillity to click a key that makes the APC go back to the spawn after 10 secs.
Why a key for it?
Sometimes the crew wants to use the APC after capping an area, if the APC got destroyed after 30 seconds it would be s'hitty, no?

* Another sollution is to add a "radio" in the spawn area.
If the player clicks on it, an the abandoned APC's in the battlefield will recycle and spawn near by the radio. If it is in use, a new one spawns at that location.. (up to max 2- 3 APC's active at the same time)

I'd like to have the limited ability to spawn in the half-track. limited by the amount of people that it can carry.

So every HT that leaves spawn is "full" in a sense. you just click on it while in the overhead when dead (if your not a tank class) and you are in it instantly.

Maybe make it only last 30 seconds after the HT loses its driver, so you don't have a HT sitting for 15 minutes and suddenly have a german jump out.

Upvote 0
Have to choose between two evils :(
Thus I know the suggestions cant be realistic cause there is a maximum ammount of active APC*s.

The radio idea I think is the best one.
It might emulate troops using field radio to call in transports.

"We need infantry transport at Coordinate XYZ"
" Roger that, APC will be at your location in X seconds"

The Abandoned APC in the field, then "drives" (hyper jump) back to the spawn to collect more people :)
The "traveltime" is set to about 10 to 20 seconds.

If the APC is destroyed, the spawn time should be random (15-30 secs) as you have to call in a APC from outside the Battlefield.
It might be nearby or far away.
-----------------------------------------------
At the same time id like to see limited vehicle respawns.
Ie max APC's = 12. If the carpool runs out, you have to move in by foot.
IF the APC is NOT destroyed and you radio it back to spawn it will not deplete the vehicle reinforcements.

What do you think of this guys?

Upvote 0
(Oops, I just realized I accidentally missed reading the similar idea posted above.)

I will admit that the idea I am going to give you may not be totally appropriate for RO, but I'm going to give it just in case you guys like it.

What if when an APC leaves the spawn zone, soldiers will spawn INTO the APC so that when it reaches its destination its full instead of only carrying one lone rifleman.

But it would have to be coded properly, so that soldeirs will only spawn into the APC withing a certain distance, place, or time frame before they spawn back at the spawn zone. This would be to prevent constant spawning in a bad location, in enemy spawn zones, or spawning only to have the APC blown up a second later. Maybe there could also be the ability to select spawning in the APC if you feel safer spawning at the normal spawn.

Plus, if your the only guy a a spawn zone, you wont have to wait for any guys to spawn before you can leave, they will just spawn on the way, allready en route to the objective.

Upvote 0
Alas, another suggested fix to a problem that didn't occur in the real war because of how people act in game.

I don't know if there's a realistic solution to this to please all crowds, but then again, I didn't see real soldiers running up in clown cars and throwing nuclear satchels onto tanks to blow them up and going "OLOLOL" afterwards.

Upvote 0
I didn't see real soldiers running up in clown cars and throwing nuclear satchels onto tanks to blow them up and going "OLOLOL" afterwards.

You fought in the second world war? You know this firsthand?

While I certainly wasn't there, I believe that when infantry faced a tank assault, soldiers would probably do whatever they had to do to destroy the damn tanks.

Anyway, back on topic. I like the idea of spawning in an APC in limited areas. It would also be nice if tank crews spawned in tanks to eliminate the constant fighting over who gets what tank.

Upvote 0
(Oops, I just realized I accidentally missed reading the similar idea posted above.)

I will admit that the idea I am going to give you may not be totally appropriate for RO, but I'm going to give it just in case you guys like it.

What if when an APC leaves the spawn zone, soldiers will spawn INTO the APC so that when it reaches its destination its full instead of only carrying one lone rifleman.

But it would have to be coded properly, so that soldeirs will only spawn into the APC withing a certain distance, place, or time frame before they spawn back at the spawn zone. This would be to prevent constant spawning in a bad location, in enemy spawn zones, or spawning only to have the APC blown up a second later. Maybe there could also be the ability to select spawning in the APC if you feel safer spawning at the normal spawn.

Plus, if your the only guy a a spawn zone, you wont have to wait for any guys to spawn before you can leave, they will just spawn on the way, allready en route to the objective.

Great idea... Could be combined with "Radiocall back APC" idea...
If the APC is full, you can call back the abandoned APC to the spawn.. Then people starts to fill this APC as they respawn..

That work fine.. and aid teamwork as well!

ANother good thing about this that the APC would pose a great treat, namingly a Spawnpoint in enemy territory!!
As long as the APC is there you can spawn in it (as you choose)...
The enemy now has to destroy it...

To avoid rentless driving, you can limit the number of respawns for APC's. Thus you be carefull where you drive or to drive too deep into enemy territory...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
honostly, why would the driver get out of the APC at all, instead of dropping off troops and heading back to pick up more? realistic play = fun

really though, people say that TW should put this in, or that, its all in how the players do it, people can run and gun, but that ruins the game, so PLAYERS should stop doing it, TW shouldnt have to put in 10 new features to stop them from doing it

Upvote 0
honostly, why would the driver get out of the APC at all, instead of dropping off troops and heading back to pick up more? realistic play = fun

really though, people say that TW should put this in, or that, its all in how the players do it, people can run and gun, but that ruins the game, so PLAYERS should stop doing it, TW shouldnt have to put in 10 new features to stop them from doing it

Its the problem with 32 player limit. Atleast on combined arms maps.
It means one player only drives the APC, this guy might be a complete idiot and get 6 people contiunally killed.. while the other team has a good driver...
Meaning they get 5 players into the combat area unhurt.

If one person can get this kinda power, it will be unballansed...

Secondly, if you'd increase the number of APC crew to 2 people, Ther would be only 14 infantry pr side....
Include combined arms (two tanks) means 6 players to crew tanks, then only 8 infantry (almost 2 fireteams)

The only minimum realistic setting would be ATLEAST 8 infantry pr. tank....
In WW2 I have sources that say:
One tank pr Platoon

One platoon =
1 platoon Head quarter - 4 men
3-4 Squads - 30-40 men

So in RO, combined arms, there should be max One tank pr 14 players...
And still it will not be very realistic ...

Source = Combatmission 3

Upvote 0
Its the problem with 32 player limit. Atleast on combined arms maps.
It means one player only drives the APC, this guy might be a complete idiot and get 6 people contiunally killed.. while the other team has a good driver...
Meaning they get 5 players into the combat area unhurt.

If one person can get this kinda power, it will be unballansed...

Secondly, if you'd increase the number of APC crew to 2 people, Ther would be only 14 infantry pr side....
Include combined arms (two tanks) means 6 players to crew tanks, then only 8 infantry (almost 2 fireteams)

The only minimum realistic setting would be ATLEAST 8 infantry pr. tank....
In WW2 I have sources that say:
One tank pr Platoon

One platoon =
1 platoon Head quarter - 4 men
3-4 Squads - 30-40 men

So in RO, combined arms, there should be max One tank pr 14 players...
And still it will not be very realistic ...

Source = Combatmission 3

yes, 32 players is a setback, but hopefully if RO comes out on the UE3 engine, it will fix that =P

And as to being a "taxi" in the APC, me and my buddy enjoy doing that, me on driver him on mg, on maps like rakowice. Pretty fun time if you ask me =P

And the PLAYERS have to make the best of what TW has given us for realism, no xhairs, freeaim, realistic body damage and such, this has no meaning if no one plays realistically, any game can be played realistic, so its up to the players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0