• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anyone palying with a Conroe

Running a X2 3800+ @ 2.66Ghz and it's smooth as.

The ol 6600GT ain't up to decent performance. I think the best bang for buck vid card on the market would have to be the Nvidia 7900GT. Great performer and relatively cheap.

I might upgrade my 6600GT later this year when I get a bigger monitor. 17" is a little small for RO pixel hunts. My eyes just don't cut it and the Chinese are making some cheap 22" wide screens that perform well but then isn't everything made in China now days?

Upvote 0
You might want to take a careful look at that GPU. The 7950 consists of two underclocked 7900 GPU's, so while it's better than a single 7900, usually, it is not as good as two 7900's in SLi. HOWEVER, there are still problems with running two GPU's, and you may not get as good performance on some games with the 7950 as you would with the 7900 (if the game doesn't run well on SLi, you essentially have one underclocked 7900). Of course, these issues will be sorted out in time as drivers get better, but it may be something to keep in mind.
The power supply is *probably* sufficient. It's close though, and partially depends on how much power your optical and hard drives use up.

Thanks for the reply, very well explained and very useful.

I will look into to it, getting the 7900 will save me money off the bat and if I ever feel the urge to go balistic I could always add a second one.

Cheers

Upvote 0
If I were you I would hold off upgrading till around new year when hopefully some DX10 cards will be coming out. I was thinking of getting a conroe when they first came out but for me I will have to upgrade my video card anyway (its AGP and I think you don't get AGP slots anymore) so its kinda pointless getting a new GPU now with DX10 just round the corner. Are there any games coming out before new year that need a conroe that are worth playing?

Upvote 0
Hrhr will get my new 600W Enermax SilencerII PSU in about two hours. :D
Need more juice to get a stable OC on my DFI.

Meh, still stuck with my Sandy 3700+, but I cannot get stable voltage with my poopy 420W PSU when overclocking to 3Ghz.

I guess a Conny will be really nice for gaming.
*dreams about more $$$* :D

Upvote 0
^ nice!

The best I can get (stable) is 2.8ghz with my 3700+, 1GB Corsair "value ram", ASUS A8N Premium, and PC Power & Cooling 510. I think my ram is holding me back

on a athlon64 system no one componant should hold you back from overclocking something else more.
in this case just lower the ram divider so that the ram is running slower then normal and then increase the CPU clock again.

Upvote 0
Considering how CPU dependent the UE 2.5 engine is, I would wager it will play very nicely. :)

I live in Canada, the very cold winter is just around the corner. I'll go with air cooling for now and see how it goes. If ever it get's too hot in summer then I,ll start looking for water cooling. from what I've seem Conroes seem to run pretty cool.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah, I could do that if I wanted nothing more than ghz out of my CPU, but thorough benchmarking has shown me that its better to just try and keep things on a 1:1 ratio for optimal results. For example, my system @ 2.5ghz with a 1:1 ratio can beat the same system OCed to 2.9ghz, but with the ram drastically slowed down.

Hmmm, why should ram be drastically slowed down? I'm currently running an AMD X2 at 10x275 FSB and have the ram at a 9/10 divider (DDR-180 in the BIOS) which let's me have it run at precisely 250MHz (it is DDR-500 memory) and thus make the most out of it in comparison to having the CPU at 10x250MHz and the ram with a 1:1 divider at again 250MHz. At FSB of 290 the ram divider for DDR-166 will bring my ram very close to its optimum as well, if I ever decide to push my cpu that much.

Depending on your BIOS and mobo capabilities you can almost always find a FSB value and corresponding multipliers for your ram, cpu and HTT that will allow you to bring all components close to optimum values and squeeze as much juice from your system as possible.

For reference on concrete approaches to doing so I can heartedly recommend http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9 even if you are not running a DFI mobo.

Anyway - hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Definitely some good info there. :D

I dont have much time before I have to get back to work, so I'll drop a link to the benchmark thread at the 13th forums:

http://www.13thpanzerdivision.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=598

I THINK I outline my hardware and bios settings in there.

Anyhow, I think my ram is the bottleneck because it is DDR400, and also "value" rated. I think with some good DDR500 or even DDR600, I could pump out 3.0ghz easily.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I'm just about to build a new rig around the Core 2 Duo E6700 processor. Is anyone out there playing RO with a Conroe? If yes, see any ddifference in gameplay?

Here are the new components:
Case: Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6700
GPU: GeForce 7950GX2
RAM: CORSAIR 800MHZ DDR2 NO-ECC 2048M TWINX PRO
Mobo: ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe

I'll reuse the rest of the components from my existing rig.
PSU: Antec truepower 430w
Sound card: Creative Audigy 2
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Optical drive: LG, not sure what model but it works fine
Hard Drive: Western digital 80 Gb 7200 RPM

Cheers

Do you think it's very smart to buy such a high end system now?

My suggestion is wait for DX10 and Vista and THEN buy a high end system.

Because with DX10 games, that system will be low/medium end.

You are going to spend alot of money, so please think about it again.

Upvote 0
Do you think it's very smart to buy such a high end system now?

My suggestion is wait for DX10 and Vista and THEN buy a high end system.

Because with DX10 games, that system will be low/medium end.

You are going to spend alot of money, so please think about it again.

Last I've heard is that DX10 might not come out before end of 2007. Do you know if this is true or not?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Last I've heard is that DX10 might not come out before end of 2007. Do you know if this is true or not?

Thanks.

Either way DX10 is not backwards compatible and seeing how CD-ROMs are still out there as for certain publishers to still distribute games over CDs and not DVDs I am absolutely sure that anything that comes during AT LEAST 2007 will be pretty much DX 9.0c compatible.

The last thing I read from nVidia's side was that they are not exactly in a hurry to redesign their chips for DX10 - as you can guess only Vista users would buy such anyway. From what I know the approach for developing of DX10 games is more or less fundamentally different than the one for DX9 too and thus expensive. Not sure how many companies will spend the time and the money to go on this route so early. Count in the average development time of a game and what portion of the market is going to upgrade to DX10 hardware just because of Vista and you might see whether the market is going to abandon DX9.0 so fast.

I think it will not plus Conroe (just as AMD X2 for that matter) is as good for Vista as it gets, the only and I do mean ONLY thing that MIGHT need an upgrade eventually is the graphic card and it will take quite some time before that becomes imperative.

My personal opinion of course. The alternative is to play everything on lower detail on an aging machine for the next half an year minimum in the hope of a DX10 miracle. I chose to upgrade from AGP a few months ago and I'm happy about it :D

Upvote 0
Either way DX10 is not backwards compatible and seeing how CD-ROMs are still out there as for certain publishers to still distribute games over CDs and not DVDs I am absolutely sure that anything that comes during AT LEAST 2007 will be pretty much DX 9.0c compatible.

The last thing I read from nVidia's side was that they are not exactly in a hurry to redesign their chips for DX10 - as you can guess only Vista users would buy such anyway. From what I know the approach for developing of DX10 games is more or less fundamentally different than the one for DX9 too and thus expensive. Not sure how many companies will spend the time and the money to go on this route so early. Count in the average development time of a game and what portion of the market is going to upgrade to DX10 hardware just because of Vista and you might see whether the market is going to abandon DX9.0 so fast.

I think it will not plus Conroe (just as AMD X2 for that matter) is as good for Vista as it gets, the only and I do mean ONLY thing that MIGHT need an upgrade eventually is the graphic card and it will take quite some time before that becomes imperative.

My personal opinion of course. The alternative is to play everything on lower detail on an aging machine for the next half an year minimum in the hope of a DX10 miracle. I chose to upgrade from AGP a few months ago and I'm happy about it :D

Thanks for the very informative reply. I don't realy believe in miracles so I'll probably end up upgrading my rig before DX10 unless in comes out real sson cause I'm planning the upgrade fo xMas. At the speed that technology advances all sort of goodies might be available in 4 months.

Cheers

Upvote 0