• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Anyone palying with a Conroe

Blaz

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Hi All,

I'm just about to build a new rig around the Core 2 Duo E6700 processor. Is anyone out there playing RO with a Conroe? If yes, see any ddifference in gameplay?

Here are the new components:
Case: Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS
Processor: Core 2 Duo E6700
GPU: GeForce 7950GX2
RAM: CORSAIR 800MHZ DDR2 NO-ECC 2048M TWINX PRO
Mobo: ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe

I'll reuse the rest of the components from my existing rig.
PSU: Antec truepower 430w
Sound card: Creative Audigy 2
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 LED
Optical drive: LG, not sure what model but it works fine
Hard Drive: Western digital 80 Gb 7200 RPM

Cheers

I'm playing an AMD X2 4800+ (well overclocked to that ;)) and the game is a blast with everything at max detail and AF set to 8 through the game .ini file. It never slows down on any map and since Conroes are faster than X2's I expect that you will be doing even better :p

I'd recommend looking into a somewhat more powerful PSU as even though Conroes are better than P4's they are still more hungry than AMDs. Other than that - congrats on your upgrade ;)

Upvote 0
I'd recommend looking into a somewhat more powerful PSU as even though Conroes are better than P4's they are still more hungry than AMDs. Other than that - congrats on your upgrade ;)

Thanks for your reply, yeah! thought I could get away with this PSU it's brand new. I'll probably try it out and if it's not powerful enough I'l get a fancy smanchy modular PSU.

Upvote 0
I just upgraded to a Conroe 6300 and a new Asrock board and compared to my old Pent 3.4ghz it runs alot faster, i still get fps drop on some maps but nothing compared to what it used to be.
In short i am very happy with my purchase and plan on overlclocking the chip to 2.5ghz or maybie a bit higher, these cards can handle some heavy OC ing because of the way the new chips are built they produce less heat and dont take as much power to run.

my rig

Intel Conroe 6300 1.8ghz
Nvidia Geforce 7800 gt pci express
2 gig DDR2 (pc4200)
Asrock MB Conro 945G-DVI skt775

Upvote 0
I just upgraded to a Conroe 6300 and a new Asrock board and compared to my old Pent 3.4ghz it runs alot faster, i still get fps drop on some maps but nothing compared to what it used to be.
In short i am very happy with my purchase and plan on overlclocking the chip to 2.5ghz or maybie a bit higher, these cards can handle some heavy OC ing because of the way the new chips are built they produce less heat and dont take as much power to run.

my rig

Intel Conroe 6300 1.8ghz
Nvidia Geforce 7800 gt pci express
2 gig DDR2 (pc4200)
Asrock MB Conro 945G-DVI skt775

Sweet rig!! What PSU do you have?

Upvote 0
That power supply seems a little weak for your parts, but I could be wrong.
Other than that seems like an excellent system. I personally prefer AMD processors to Intel but I think it's a matter of personal preference and experience. I've got an X2 3800+ no need for me to overclock, although I have the ablility to considering it runs at about 30 degrees celsius on stock fan. Also got 2 gigs of DDR 400 RAM and a OC'd 7800GTX. I got this system last October when it was top of the line 'cept for the processor. I've got an Asus A8N-SLI Premium (I think that's it). It's only got 16 pipes for graphics instead of 32 because it was the top of the line at the time.

Upvote 0
You might want to take a careful look at that GPU. The 7950 consists of two underclocked 7900 GPU's, so while it's better than a single 7900, usually, it is not as good as two 7900's in SLi. HOWEVER, there are still problems with running two GPU's, and you may not get as good performance on some games with the 7950 as you would with the 7900 (if the game doesn't run well on SLi, you essentially have one underclocked 7900). Of course, these issues will be sorted out in time as drivers get better, but it may be something to keep in mind.
The power supply is *probably* sufficient. It's close though, and partially depends on how much power your optical and hard drives use up.

Upvote 0