• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unusually low framerate.

If you enable vertical sync, make sure triple buffering is on as well, otherwise you will drop frames. Triple buffering can be enabled in advanced performance settings in nvidia control panel. (just in case)

Most of the drops in frames in RO are CPU related (ie when 3 or 4 smgs are firing at the same time. Remember every bullet has to be calculated for drop collision etc. Often you can turn up the AA&AF without losing more frames, but the CPU will get maxed when a lot is going on. If it was a memory bottleneck, you'd hear your HD making read/write noises while you are playing.

Aside from that, I have noticed that on certain custom maps frames will drop if you face a spawn area (with no bot pathing) and stay in iron sights for a while. I've left the computer and came back to it to see FPS crawling slow to a crawl for an obscure reason. Memory leak?

I'll have to try that later on.
I thought I had my card and settings pretty much under control.
I'll give a full report about the results.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
If you enable vertical sync, make sure triple buffering is on as well, otherwise you will drop frames. Triple buffering can be enabled in advanced performance settings in nvidia control panel. (just in case)

RO is not an OpenGL but D3D game. You can only force triple buffering in Direct3D games if you use third party tools. And the performance gain will be negligable.

Don't spread misinformation.

Upvote 0
The only time triple buffering doesn't give you a boost with vsync is if your VRAM is maxed (low video memory). Otherwise it will make a big difference when Vsync is on.

As for the 3rd party tools, you're right. When you run NVtweak, it adds it to your nvidia control panel. Hence the "advanced settings".

This is a thread about FPS, I don't think suggesting Triple Buffering with vsync is misinformation. If it grieves you to enable the option in your own video card, just don't do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
are they discussing it at all? i mean it would be one thing if the game was like this when i got it, but i got it in march and everything was fine, survived a few patches then went to crapola after the booster. they changed something and now its poopy. ive done everything said here too, even changed it to d3d to no avail...and why should it, something got optimized out of whack and its killing me!

Upvote 0
i had a 6600gt until a month ago when it burned out (oddly enough it died while playing Magic the Gathering :rolleyes:). it was replaced with my old 5500 and even then RO ran smooth...until the booster pack. this is by no means a slam on the booster pack (i love em, keep em comin', hopefully i can play em), rather a plea to find out how to remedy our problem. i got my friend to try the game during the demo, he too has a 6600gt, he asked how to see fps then asked if 25 was normal? what's goin on?

Upvote 0
Nothing changed in the rendering system, and the smoke grenades do not cause much of a hit if any.

Make sure your Red Orchestra files are not fragmented, you might also want to make sure you have a clean install of the latest drivers on your video card.

We are looking into this, but at this time don't believe it is a widespread problem with the game itself.

Upvote 0
i found a fix for me.. it had nothing to do with the update causing any problems. about a week or two ago i was fiddling with the game resolution and increased it. anyway was talking to 2manny and he said you can get problems if your windows res and your game res are different so i thought nothing to lose changed both settings to the same and it worked no stuttering, game runs like a dream so it is worth a try guys caus it worked for me. and sorry tripwire for suggesting it was the patch to blame:eek:

Upvote 0
i found a fix for me.. it had nothing to do with the update causing any problems. about a week or two ago i was fiddling with the game resolution and increased it. anyway was talking to 2manny and he said you can get problems if your windows res and your game res are different so i thought nothing to lose changed both settings to the same and it worked no stuttering, game runs like a dream so it is worth a try guys caus it worked for me. and sorry tripwire for suggesting it was the patch to blame:eek:

Good for u, but my windows res and my Ro res are the same and i have that &%$&%$ fps problem! and it really pisses me off! its no fun to play at all!

Upvote 0
Just make sure all you guys have tripple buffering disabled. At least if you don't use vsync.
I have so many buddies that downloaded ntweaker, and other tools, then fiddled around with settings that are not usually accessible to the end user for some good reason. Most of them thought that tripple buffering would give them a performance increase, and switched it on.

Also make sure that you set it to run on max performance, not quality, or max quality.
Turn shadows down to blob, for those using a 6600, and don't go further up in resolution then 1024x768. Use AA and AF to a certain degree if the system's performace allows it.

Check that your sound settings don't put too much strain on your soundcard either because that will put a strain on the cpu. If you are using an onboard sounddevice try to get your hands on a PCI soundcard. This will again free some system bandwidh, and processing power.

Also be sure to have a defragmented system. Default windows defrag application is not worth a flying poop if you ask me. I recommend O&O defrag.

Disable or uninstall antivirus (you should not be gaming on your office partition anyways where you have important data.) Antivirus will lag out any PC during games. Better to be behind a capable router. And just keep your hands off those pr0n sites etc. while you're on your "unsecure" gaming boot partition.
;)

My system specs:

amd 3700+ SD
NV 7800GT
2048 RAM
DFI LP Ultra-D

I get around 75-100 fps rock stable on most RO maps.

Upvote 0