• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In-vehicle avatars

Bobdog

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Texas
It'd be pretty neat to be able to see your soldier inside the tank (or in the driver's seat of a halftrack). It's kinda weird to be a floating head inside a tank, without the pedals moving or anything. Don't actually put the avatar under the player's control, just have him react to what the player want's the vehicle to do (press the pedals, steer, or control the turret, ect.). What I mean by this is that the avatar is kind of "glued" into place, and the only part the player can freely move is his head, the rest of him only really reacts to whatever the player has the vehicle do (player drives around, so avatar depress pedals, shifts transmission and move knobs and such). Also, it'd be nice for the gunner to have an interior where he can look around inside (at the level where you are usually in the crosshairs for the main gun); look at the loader, and press ironsights to look in the aiming reticle.

Sturmovik, Pacific Fighters and Lock On has this (without your own arms though).

In Lock-On you can see your legs, but all those flight-sims I have mentioned have a dynamic cockpit.

What I mean with a dynamic cockpit is working guages, moving (joy)stick(s), moving gearlevers, buttons that are switched over in the cockpit when you enable/disable something in an aircraft (think of WEP in IL2/PF).

Operation Flashpoint has a semi-dynamic cockpit, where only the guages move.

This adds more immersion and you can actually notice that somethings are on/off, enabled/disabled, inwards/outwards.

So you can focus on the real deal.

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:
Sturmovik, Pacific Fighters and Lock On has this (without your own arms though).

In Lock-On you can see your legs, but all those flight-sims I have mentioned have a dynamic cockpit.

What I mean with a dynamic cockpit is working guages, moving (joy)stick(s), moving gearlevers, buttons that are switched over in the cockpit when you enable/disable something in an aircraft (think of WEP in IL2/PF).

Operation Flashpoint has a semi-dynamic cockpit, where only the guages move.

This adds more immersion and you can actually notice that somethings are on/off, enabled/disabled, inwards/outwards.

So you can focus on the real deal.

It would be nice if vehicles have working strearing wheels and engine/fule gages.

Upvote 0
Gunwing said:
It would be nice if vehicles have working strearing wheels and engine/fule gages.
Yeah, so you can actually see what you are doing.

Takes a lot of animating though, and the guages will need some good texturing too.

I hate it when cockpit texture are so blurred, make the gauges and stuff readable for Christ's sake (of course RO has some of the finest cockpits out there ;))

This is a detailed cockpit, a bit too detailed for a FPS (mainly because its a flight sim) but detailed.
And details is what people want.

Upvote 0
This would definitely be a welcome addition. However I'd rather have the animations, or rather lack thereof, of unbuttoned crew fixed. At the moment it just looks like someone has shoved a dummy up through the hatch. They don't need to do much, they just need to look around as the player does and be in more natural positions.

Upvote 0