• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's wrong with tank drivers!?

My experience from a few hours ago:

Sclass12 (tank): STOP
Sclass12(team): STOP
Sclass12(team): STOP THE ****ING TANK
Sclass12(team): T34 AT 9 O CLOCK STOP
Sclass12(team): DON'T DRIVE THAT WAY
Sclass12(team): THERE ARE TWO TANKS THERE

Russian dude *tank* Sclass12
Russian dude *tank* Driver

:mad:

Upvote 0

Thus why I despise team tanking.

Upvote 0

o man people like that just make me so :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:. what did you do to him tk him or did you be nice and let him go when you died. If I am feeling mean I jump in their tank and drive all wild and crap to see how they like it:p

Upvote 0
I know how to drive a tank, and I do it well. What annoys me is overzealous commanders who don't understand amoured combat, thinking that it's all about running full speed until you spot something, stopping, and firing until either the target dies or you die or think that manning the commander's position simply means firing the main gun and not "commanding" the tank. These commanders have no consideration for crucial elements such as cover, hull down, turret down, angling, "shoot and scoot". etc or even working with other tanks in the platoon. I live by the rule that the commander commands the tank and I will follow his direction to the "T", but I have sat in many driver's seats waiting....waiting...for direction....then when I do, it's something like, "Are you going to move you idiot ?". That's when I bail out and go searching for a commander who has a clue. I enjoy driving under a commander who commands. It would be a REAL bonus if the local / veh chat worked properly to facilitate good communications between the crew. This would probably make all the difference in the world as guys are a little reluctant, and with good reason, to spam the entire voip for the sake of their one tank.

So...there are commanders and drivers out there, the trick is to get them hooked up together and communicating. In the meantime, we have to put up with the "less than stellar" drivers and commanders.

Upvote 0
I know how to drive a tank, and I do it well. What annoys me is overzealous commanders who don't understand amoured combat, thinking that it's all about running full speed until you spot something, stopping, and firing until either the target dies or you die or think that manning the commander's position simply means firing the main gun and not "commanding" the tank. These commanders have no consideration for crucial elements such as cover, hull down, turret down, angling, "shoot and scoot". etc or even working with other tanks in the platoon. I live by the rule that the commander commands the tank and I will follow his direction to the "T", but I have sat in many driver's seats waiting....waiting...for direction....then when I do, it's something like, "Are you going to move you idiot ?". That's when I bail out and go searching for a commander who has a clue. I enjoy driving under a commander who commands. It would be a REAL bonus if the local / veh chat worked properly to facilitate good communications between the crew. This would probably make all the difference in the world as guys are a little reluctant, and with good reason, to spam the entire voip for the sake of their one tank.

So...there are commanders and drivers out there, the trick is to get them hooked up together and communicating. In the meantime, we have to put up with the "less than stellar" drivers and commanders.

Woah there, you cant take the commander role too far, he's not the one with the foot on the gas, the driver should do some of the work too.

Nothings worse than getting a driver that expects you to tell him everything he should do, if the south-field on Arad is the last objective left and all the combat is there, its pretty obvious where we need to go, i shoulden't have to spam the team channel with directions, the driver does have a map..

Perhabs we could do more if we could communicate in the tanks properly, but we can't, Local Voip doesen't work on 90% of the servers, and even when it does work, its unreliable, so we'll just have to do our best with limited communication.

Upvote 0

The commander has a better view of the battlefield than you. While you go screeching towards some hull-down position, I'm looking at an enemy tank perfectly sighted on us and getting ready to blast us. And the thing of it is, if you would stop when I say stop, I would be able to kill him before he kills us. Instead, you speed off towards a good position and angle us towards enemies who are twice as far away as the one I'm staring at. And we get killed halfway to whatever spot you are going to.

Upvote 0
I don't believe in the commander role being taken too seriously.

In my opinion, there is only a gunner and a driver. The driver go to the objectives while the gunner scouts. Both report when they spot enemies. The driver will get in the best possible position to engage enemies and the gunner will try to eliminate them as fast as possible.

Upvote 0
I don't believe in the commander role being taken too seriously.

In my opinion, there is only a gunner and a driver. The driver go to the objectives while the gunner scouts. Both report when they spot enemies. The driver will get in the best possible position to engage enemies and the gunner will try to eliminate them as fast as possible.

YES!!!! IRL, you have the commander, who has the best view and doesn't look down the gun sight.

In RO:OST, the gunner as the best all round (and distance) view, but when engaged spends a lot of time looking down the gun sight, losing a lot of that advantage. And he can become too focused on ONE target.

The driver has a far worse view, but a good driver maintans a suitational awareness when the gunner is focused down the gun sight, and will really increase your chances of survival.

As the gunner, if you try and micro-manage your driver, you're not going to be happy because he will never do EXACTLY what you want. Either because it will take too long to explain, or he knows what are asking to do will get you killed in the next 10 seconds.

But, if you tell him where the enemy was / is, range and direction they are travelling (left to right, towards, etc.), he can then position you to fire and ensure you're not exposed to a current threat unnecessacrily.

Upvote 0
In between shots, the commander should be either opening his hatch to take a peek around, or looking around in the cupola to tell the driver where to reposition, or at the very least, call out where the enemy tanks are so the driver at least knows where fire will come from.

The driver should drive unbuttoned until you enter combat, at which point, close the hatch and pay attention to your speakers for the rough direction from where the shots are coming.

A lot of players in general don't understand the nuances of tank combat, and that's their problem (Well, until they get in a tank with you...then it's your problem too), but I think a lot of them simply don't WANT to bother learning.

I'd post a tactics guide that I wrote on a different forum but (a) I don't want to give my secrets away to everyone, and (b) it's something like five pages long anyway so most people would probably just ignore the damn thing and keep doing as they please.

Besides, I can educate other players better by teaming up with them and being communicative, which I'm happy to do as long as they're receptive.

But, ideally, both the driver and the gunner/commander should work together, respecting and trusting each other. You don't have to have an absolute "DO ONLY WHAT I SAY!!! I AM THE COMMANDER!" approach to it, just recognize that a good commander will have a better sense of the battlefield than a buttoned up driver. As far as actually positioning the tank, the driver has to be trusted to do so and to know WHAT to do (IE: take a hull or turret-down position if possible, if not, angle the armor such that it's more sloped vertically and make slight adjustments while reloading, etc.).

Upvote 0
There is a reason why they are called Tank Commanders. They command the tank. To survive, you must do as your TC says. It is not the driver's job to make decisions. The driver's job is to go where the TC wants to go and to angle the tank properly when contact has been made.

Tank Commander or Squad Leader...same thing. I get so sick of playing when nobody talks and nobody communicates but to ***** at the leader for artying them. But it seems whenever I take the Squad Leader position and actually call all my arty shots and warn people where to be and how many enemy are where, and where is being capped so everyone needs to ASAP get there, I end up with some rude S.O.B. telling me to shut up/leave/know it all/...whatever. Of course then we lose. One of the reasons I usually play plain rifleman with buddies on Vent, so we can play with the SL when he's good and on our own if he's a kid.
This is the best game for teamwork I've played yet, but there are still a lot of "counterstrike" kiddy types who don't understand that the team that works and communicates together not only wins but they have a lot more fun and their endless actions seem somewhat meaningful towards the win.
Sorry for the rant...but it's damn frustrating LOL

Upvote 0
The key word here is communication. Let's just hope local chat is fixed soon.

I myself would to team tank, and enjoy the few moments when I do, but usually end up soloing simply from lack of communication. I can't say I'm a great tanker, but I am very eager to learn, and I am also very eager to experience proper teamplay, either as a tanker or infantry. I have seen preciously little of it, and it usually comes down to lack of communication. Talk to people. If you don't have a headset with mic, get one. I could afford it, so can you.

Upvote 0
IMO, if you team play in a tank and you take the role as the driver your responsibility is to set the basis for the tank commander so you both are in a good position for a kill. If there isn't anybody to kill, its up to the commander if you should go for the objectives as it is the commander who has the best overview of the battlefield. Ergo he should make the decisions. But that off course doesn't mean the driver shouldn't use his brain, and take initiatives if the situation requires so.

In most situations when I'm the commander, the driver goes about his own business and we end up killed. I have in some rare cases had a driver who understands what to and not to do. For instance back up behind cover while reloading. Once i managed to frag 7 or 8 tanks in Arad, thanks to a skilled driver who knew what he was doing. Two way communication is the key to success!

Upvote 0
The thing of it is, the DRIVER has far too much power. As the gunner/commander, all I can do is tell him to stop. He then can choose to ignore that and get us killed by trying to reach a position of cover. I am incapable of firing with any sort of accuracy while he speeds away. This is a huge disadvantage to the commander/gunner.

If you ask me, there needs to be more "checks and balances" between the driver and gunner, instead of the driver being the one who decides the fate of the tank 90% of the time.

Upvote 0
I am not sure this belongs here, but I have a question about bots and bot tank drivers which is the worst thing to happen to you: a bot jumps in your tank and drives in a fricken circle in front of enemy tanks.

Yet what I DO not understand, are maps that allow the virus bots to play, why non tank bots are allowed in a tank. In Baraska, a sniper jumped in my tank, a bot sniper??? who then drove in one of these tacticle circles. :confused:

Upvote 0
The thing of it is, the DRIVER has far too much power. As the gunner/commander, all I can do is tell him to stop. He then can choose to ignore that and get us killed by trying to reach a position of cover. I am incapable of firing with any sort of accuracy while he speeds away. This is a huge disadvantage to the commander/gunner.

If you ask me, there needs to be more "checks and balances" between the driver and gunner, instead of the driver being the one who decides the fate of the tank 90% of the time.
Quoted for absolute truth. I think that the gunner should be able to make the tank stop and lock it there if need be. Screw historical accuracy on that one, I am sick of those tards that dont stop or just plain **** in my tank.

Upvote 0
I am not sure this belongs here, but I have a question about bots and bot tank drivers which is the worst thing to happen to you: a bot jumps in your tank and drives in a fricken circle in front of enemy tanks.

Yet what I DO not understand, are maps that allow the virus bots to play, why non tank bots are allowed in a tank. In Baraska, a sniper jumped in my tank, a bot sniper??? who then drove in one of these tacticle circles. :confused:
Bind a key to "get out!" radio command. The bot will do just that.

Upvote 0

Or just avoid idiot tankers...

Upvote 0