• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Nice tactics site

I bumped into a nice site that describes tactics used by the British, Americans and Russians during WWII. I tried a search here but came up with nothing so I decided to post.

The main site is at http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/

WWII tactics are here: http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Tactics/infantry_tactics_of_world_war_tw.htm

Rifle squad tactics, which I think every RO player should read is here: http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Tactics/Formations/rifle_squad.htm

My apologies if this is posted somewhere else.

I used to think tactical theory was important, but in any shoebox game, the best tactic is what works, which is rarely what works in real life.

WW2OL may be the only game that actually demands effective tactics because the ground being fought over is not a rinse and repeat.
Hit the nail on the head, bud.

Tactics are meaningless when you're fighting on the same km2 piece of terrain for the 5 billionth time. You know where the enemy is, where he comes from, what he does, where he moves to, where he sets up his guns, what he's likely to do... etc.

Upvote 0
I used to think tactical theory was important, but in any shoebox game, the best tactic is what works, which is rarely what works in real life.

WW2OL may be the only game that actually demands effective tactics because the ground being fought over is not a rinse and repeat.

Are you also called "monster" in WWIIOL?

If so, you referred to yourself in the first person... :)

IMHO, RL tactics don't often work in video games (even WWIIOL) because there is no fear of dying. So supressing the enemy with firepower to allow other elements to maneuver doesn't really work.

In addition, the lack of persistant units (we "spawn" in), makes things like artillery kind of pointless.

But thank you for the link nonetheless... it was a good read.

Upvote 0
LOL RameusB!

Yepper, monster is the same monster that everyone knows and loves over at WW2OL.

I had to leave that game because of the the CTHL (worst day of my gaming career save the day AW3 died).

Fear of death is a biggie, but I think WW2OL allows cooperative tactics more than shoebox shooters. That is what I was referring to.

Upvote 0
Tactics for any first person shooter are more about fire teams and assignments than about bounding overwatch and stuff like that. Ex. Arad, 16 vs 16. Axis side, Team one is 4 soldiers made up of 2 pak, 1 assault and 1 commander, assignment to take north village. 12 players divide up into 6 tank teams. Two tigers to defend south field. All other tanks to attack and take north field.

Tactics depend on map, role (attacker or defender) numbers etc. Unfortunately, pub play by definition will never see tactics such as these. If you are looking for tactics you should join a clan or one of the RO tournaments out there. There you will have more organized battles and be able to institute tactics of some nature.

Bottom line, tactics are there to get more firepower at one point than the opponent to obtain an objective. Whether the aim is attrition, (kill them till they run out of reinforcements before you do) or objective, (cap points a, b, c) getting there firstest with the mostest counts.

Upvote 0
I think this is an interesting discussion, because I've always wanted to play a game that doesn't have the "shoebox-tactics" effect. I meant to start playing WWII online for that reason, but watching some videos of it and stuff it looks pretty laggy and not so fun.

I usually play on countryside and CA maps for that reason, because they usually have more open areas and more room for different approaches and tactics, whereas the city maps usually seem more linear with only a few houses, or parts of houses, which you can walk in to, and those houses are known by everyone.

Would be much nicer if you could actually walk in to every buidling and look out of every window and doorway (even though the quality of graphics would have to be toned down for that), because that way you'd actually have to check every house you pass for snipers etc. and you'd have much more choice as to how you want to approach different objectives, or where to set up defensive positions.

Upvote 0