• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Paradox Interactive Thread

CAS is meant for ground attack, look at their values. Tac bombers are for interdiction, but CAS are for ground attack. I've had them wipe out armored divisions that way.

Nice work Wasabi, and that's what the game is about, you learn as you go. I remember my first time playing I didn't fair so well either, but you learn as you go.

USSR is easy but at the same time, you have to get ready for 1941. From the start, 1936, you have to be producing infantry divisions. Brigades too, since you are going to be on the defensive for at least the first 6 months, I always go with arty brigades and engineer for my tanks. They both up the defensive values, and the arty ups the soft attack value by a lot.

As far as the alliances go, just be patient, eventually they will accept. It all depends on how you do as well. I always make sure the country I want to be allied to has 200+ relations with me and then usually you can ally, but not always.

Good luck.

This is how I do: I use the CAS for interdiciton, then when the enemy is retreating when I have attacked I set them to ground attack the retreating troops, they die like ants!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
True, you can do that. But the thing is, TAC bombers have better values for interdiction (tactical bombing i believe). CAS are meant for ground attack. However, if you only invested in CAS, well then of course you will have to interdict with them.

Yeah, that's the whole thing, I don't play as a very resourcerich country, so it's kind of hard :p

Upvote 0
Well, I just lost my first game. Was playing USSR, they've destroyed my Moscow and Stalingrad armies around October of 1942. There was nothing I could do to stop the Germans/Fins/Romanian/Italians. I lost battle after battle after battle. Leningrad got encircled, and then Moscow and Stalingrad got encircled.

Any tips on staying the German war machine as the Soviets? I'd been researching my infantry, my armor, air, land/air doctrines like crazy. At the end I even had the small arms/vehicle assembly lines, but that was a little late.

Basically mate, what Ive always done as USSR is to build as many inf divisions as possible just keep churning them out, I usually have 4 or 5 on repeat build from the start. Any spare IC can be used to build few armoured divisions but I wouldnt worry about them until the tide has turned and youre on the attack. as far as air is concerned, concentrate on 1 aspect (e.g. Tac OR CAS, fighter OR intercepter) that way you can research more doctrines for them easily. The main worry is encirclement, if you fight a good retreating war they gerries shouldnt reach any of the main cities before winter.

Overall the only real tactic I find is to wear down the germans as much as possible till such time where you army is vastly over numbered.

Upvote 0
I figured I'd retry my invasion of the USSR so I reloaded from a save just before my invasion. This time instead of having tons of one-division armies, I organized everything into 5-division units... and it's going much, much better. I have yet to actually lose a battle, my first 15 Mechanized Divisions, fully brigaded, are on their way to the front to get the Organization up, and I'm just getting ready to hunker down for winter. I haven't quite reached Moscow, but I've crossed the Dnepr with army groups Sud and Mitte. With the help of the Finns, I've taken Leningrad as well. I will need to push as far as I can in the remaining months before winter.

Here is a quick screen of the current front.

I've got my 25 Panzer divisions utilizing the plains to the south, while the rest of my forces move through the forests to the north. I've got much higher hopes for this invasion than the last one.

EDIT: For the USSR, the longer you can hold out, the less oil the Germans will have to power their machine. The Germans will run out of oil within a year or two.

Upvote 0
You mention 15 division army, and 5 division army and so on. Are you aware that certain leaders, like lt. General can only command 3 divisions, General 9 and Field Marshals only 12. So how are you having a 15 division army. You get huge command penelties.

Make sure Mj. Generals 1, Lt. General only command 3 divisions, Generals 9 and FieldMarshals 12. In case you didn't know.

Upvote 0
Do provinces have to produce a resource for factories to add to total industial output of the country? I've been playing a 1936 scenario as Germany, and thought it a good idea to build a load of factories in the first year. I built 1 factory in all my provinces with 0 IC output (about 10 in total) because in HOI 1 I think building a factory halved the IC output of the province while constructing a new factory. Does that still happen or am I thinking of some other game? Anyway after the first year my factories were complete but when I click on the province it is still +0 IC like before I built the factories. Any idea why? I'm gonna have to start again I think. Man I must have played about 10 games so far and always find something I did wrong so I have to restart LOL

Upvote 0
You mention 15 division army, and 5 division army and so on. Are you aware that certain leaders, like lt. General can only command 3 divisions, General 9 and Field Marshals only 12. So how are you having a 15 division army. You get huge command penelties.

Make sure Mj. Generals 1, Lt. General only command 3 divisions, Generals 9 and FieldMarshals 12. In case you didn't know.

Yes, I made sure to be careful with my numbers. Most of my units are commanded by Generals. The little red text alerted me to that and with a little research I found the numbers. Thanks though.

My Japanese allies CANNOT take Vladivostok... straight up CAN'T do it. Most of their infantry is all Garrison troops stationed in Korea, and they simply are unable to do it. Is there a way to remove a certain nation from your alliance? The way it's going, it'd be more effective to capture Sverdlovsk as opposed to Vladivostok.

My invasion is going much better this time around. I've capture Moscow, Leningrad, and Stalingrad, and have advanced past Moscow and Leningrad. Stalingrad is still the farthest east I've pushed; I need more divisions in the south, something that my 50 reserve divisions in the Centre are assisting me with. :D Finland controls all of the Russian territory in Finland.

Here is another screenshot of the current state of affairs in Soviet Russia...

I had sort of forgotten about the Caucasus mountains... so I have to wait until next summer before I take Baku.

Hehe I just checked and the Axis score is 671, the Comintern score 57... lol

Upvote 0
Do provinces have to produce a resource for factories to add to total industial output of the country? I've been playing a 1936 scenario as Germany, and thought it a good idea to build a load of factories in the first year. I built 1 factory in all my provinces with 0 IC output (about 10 in total) because in HOI 1 I think building a factory halved the IC output of the province while constructing a new factory. Does that still happen or am I thinking of some other game? Anyway after the first year my factories were complete but when I click on the province it is still +0 IC like before I built the factories. Any idea why? I'm gonna have to start again I think. Man I must have played about 10 games so far and always find something I did wrong so I have to restart LOL​

They take a few days to upgrade. When you upgrade them, wait a week and check again. If you hold your mouse cursor over the IC icon of the province, it will tell you something like 1.0/2.0 if you upgraded. Over time it will grow and show something like 1.3/2.0 until it is 2.0 IC. That might be it.

@Wasabi,
Nice job, and I see the Italians are doing good as well. Not getting their assed kicked in NA but actually advancing into the middle east.

Upvote 0
In North East Africa they are... Vichy France is falling quickly to France and the UK in Libya and Algeria though. Bastards. :rolleyes:

It's funny because in early '42, Hungary declared on Romania, and Italy annexed Yugoslavia/Greece, and then declared on Bulgaria. There wasn't a whole lot of fighting, seeing as how I had the opportunity to bring them all into the Axis. Too bad they didn't really help in the invasion.

Is there a pre-scripted event for the Allies to invade Normandy in June 44?

Upvote 0
In North East Africa they are... Vichy France is falling quickly to France and the UK in Libya and Algeria though. Bastards. :rolleyes:

It's funny because in early '42, Hungary declared on Romania, and Italy annexed Yugoslavia/Greece, and then declared on Bulgaria. There wasn't a whole lot of fighting, seeing as how I had the opportunity to bring them all into the Axis. Too bad they didn't really help in the invasion.

Is there a pre-scripted event for the Allies to invade Normandy in June 44?

Hidden scripts, basicly a better coded AI with some triggers to carry out an invasion. The AI has it down pretty good, sometimes invading with 5-10 divisions and continually reinforcing its holdings. There is a AAR on the PAradox Forums, he is playing as Germany. He thwarted the Normandy landings, but soon after the allies landed in Italy, and withing a few days (weeks?) they have over 50 divisions there.

So yes, the AI will carry out D-Day, but it might not be Normandy all the time or at all. The AI will pick the best place, sometimes Southern France, Italy, Balkans and so on. So you want to gaurd your beaches.

Upvote 0
Do you have any reserves? Any units in the west gaurding the beaches?

I personally make sure I have 2 divisions gaurding a province with a landing beach. And behind the front, I have a Korps ready for a counter-attack, usually tanks and motorized divisions.

Too many times did the allies land on French soil and I had no reserves, or barelly any forces to gaurd the beaches. By the time I dispatched units to deal with them, the allies were at the German border. So now I always make sure I have enough units to take care of an invasion.

I doubt Japan will take Vladivostok, they are no match for the Russians. Who knows maybe they will get lucky.

Upvote 0
That's the weird thing is that in all of my other games, Japan has taken Vladivostok. It's also funny because Vladivostok has the greatest concentration of Soviet troops at the moment. :p

I'm thinking of leaving some reserves in the SU and falling back to Germany to defend, seeing as how I know it's coming.

Well you want to keep pushing in the SU and not relent, othervise the Soviets will rebuild and push you back. I suggest any new units you build to post in the West (France) along with a few mobile divisions (panzer, mot.). You'll be safe then.

Hey if you are up for it, you want to give it ago multiplayer?

Upvote 0
How does multiplayer work for this game anyway?

I honestly don't see people sitting down for the 7 hour+ sessions required to play the game.

Not to mention some people (US, SU, etc) wanting to speed the game speed up while others (France/Germany/Poland) wanting it to be slowed down...

Yea its hard sometimes, you basicly have to agree to a happy medium. Lot of times it can get boring for a side. I've played this many times multi when it is slow both sides agree to speed up pause and so on. Both players need to be patient at times.

Its still lot of fun playing the game multi.

Upvote 0
Sure I'd do multi. I'd get my anus handed to me on a platter but hey that's ok. A learning experience if nothign else :p

I have a bunch of Mechanized divisions in both Spain and Norway as well as some tanks I was planning on sending into the SU. I guess that those divisions will be my new defense force.

It's not a bad little army; 28 '43 Mech divisions and 10 Panther divisions. I also have another 10 Panther divisions coming down the assembly line. Guess I'm not quite as fooked as I thought...

I'm also quite confident in the attack coming into Normandy. Italy is so heavily fortified by the powerful Italians, it's unlikely that they'd even try an offensive. That, and I control Gibraltar, and the only naval bases the Allies have on the Mediterranean are in Northwest Africa and the Middle East, with the Italians in between. Damn I love the Italians as allies :p

Upvote 0
Almost Winter of '44 and no offensive into Europe. Nothing... except the Soviets surrendering, that is. It's funny, because I had actually pushed FARTHER into the SU than the territory allocations dictate with the treaty. :p

I've got Semi-Fission Bomb finished and I'm hoping to nuke London and the US before the game ends... my divisions are returning to Berlin from the East and with 75 divisions already in France and Germany, I'm getting ready to invade the UK from both Norway and Calais. 70 transports being built at the same time :p

All in all this campaign helped me to learn how to play... no true challenges this time around as I'd played 3 or 4 Germany campaigns before just to learn how to do everything properly and this one was sort of my exam. And I think I passed :D I didn't realize how much territory Japan earned from the Bitter Peace...

I'm gonna try a naval based nation next time. Probably the US.

Upvote 0
Almost Winter of '44 and no offensive into Europe. Nothing... except the Soviets surrendering, that is. It's funny, because I had actually pushed FARTHER into the SU than the territory allocations dictate with the treaty. :p

I've got Semi-Fission Bomb finished and I'm hoping to nuke London and the US before the game ends... my divisions are returning to Berlin from the East and with 75 divisions already in France and Germany, I'm getting ready to invade the UK from both Norway and Calais. 70 transports being built at the same time :p

All in all this campaign helped me to learn how to play... no true challenges this time around as I'd played 3 or 4 Germany campaigns before just to learn how to do everything properly and this one was sort of my exam. And I think I passed :D I didn't realize how much territory Japan earned from the Bitter Peace...

I'm gonna try a naval based nation next time. Probably the US.

Get doomsday, I love it just for the extended time period:D

Upvote 0