• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's wrong with tank drivers!?

jtkalal, it is not "your" tank. Sorry you don't want to help anyone, it would only help you and the rest of us, but apparently you are too good to assist new players. You must have hated the free trial week.

I fully understand that there are morons who listen to nobody and will rotate the turret wildly, fire over the horizon, use the mg for fun or drive you straight into the enemy. When you do get someone who actually asks a question it would not hurt you to answer it though rather than being a tool.

Upvote 0
jtkalal, it is not "your" tank. Sorry you don't want to help anyone, it would only help you and the rest of us, but apparently you are too good to assist new players. You must have hated the free trial week.

I fully understand that there are morons who listen to nobody and will rotate the turret wildly, fire over the horizon, use the mg for fun or drive you straight into the enemy. When you do get someone who actually asks a question it would not hurt you to answer it though rather than being a tool.
How about this you finaly get the tiger on black july I get in the gun and dont spot enemys fire wildly and miss every shot how would you like that it would hurt the team because the tiger is important to win on that map. I dont know about you but I am not into dieing and hurting the team because sombody dosnt have the patience or intelligence to read the manuel or look at the controls:mad:.

Upvote 0
Drivers straight out of GTA are a f'n nightmare, nothing you can do except get out or possibly tk them and take the tank over.

Tigers are like sniper rifles and should NOT be used by anyone that asks basic questions in game........ period, endofstory, game over. Nothing worse than someone that jumps in a Tiger and immediatly drive it to opposite side of map to get within 5m of a russian tank or that sniper that halfway thru the map has crawled 15ft away from spawn and has 2 kills, these people should be shot. Lets face it, if wartime situation, and some snapperhead has the Tiger/sniper rifle, some officer is just gonna shoot him and move on.

So the moral of the story is, just shoot them :eek: (i think) :confused:

Upvote 0
Here's a wonderful example:

I was playing Konigsplatz with the Tiger alone. This other dude joins the server and becomes Tank Crewman. He starts yelling "Where's the tank?". He must've walked around a bit and found the Tiger. He ran from the Reichstag Approach to the Moltke Monument. My tank was perfectly angled towards the enemy and I was about the blow the IS-2 to hell until this genius comes in the tank, starts yelling "we gotta move back!", turns my tank fully around, making damn well sure that the back of the tank was facing the enemy. So, in his "retreat", he got me killed.

And you're telling me there's no such thing as idiotic drivers. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm more pissed of when crappy gunners.

I end up driving 90% of the time because otherwise we get creamed by a driver who doesn't hull down or who does a U turn in combat.
  • I DON'T CARE IF YOU ARE ALREADY SHOOTING AT SOMEONE. YOU ALWAYS SHOT AT THE TANK THAT IS CURRENTLY SHOOTING AT US. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • When I give you a target, it's not because I like reading my own chat. Its an open shot or a threat, instead of you scanning the horizion in the direction of our territory.
  • For god sakes, if the tank has a cupola, use it. Whenever I'm in the turret I always cupola while I'm reloading. (or unbutton if I'm feeling more secure) to check the flanks. That little gunner sight doesn't give you a good view.
  • FIRE!!! Sometimes I'll see the loaded turret locked on a target for 10 seconds before it fires... and misses anyway. what the hell were you doing for those 10 seconds?
    If you can't identify a target, unbutton and use bincos. I hate driving a gunner who loses points.

Upvote 0
I have not said there are not stupid players. My point is if you have someone who actually asks a question then we would all be better served by answering it rather than being rude to them and orderring them out of the tank.

If they are a moron then fine, do what you have to do. If they at least show the effort to ask a question though work with them. It would be nice if everyone read the manual, with all its errors..., but that isn't going to happen, especially with a downloaded game. Face it and move on.

It is the elitist attitutde of some RO players that drives away others who may become good RO players.

Upvote 0
  • FIRE!!! Sometimes I'll see the loaded turret locked on a target for 10 seconds before it fires... and misses anyway. what the hell were you doing for those 10 seconds?
    If you can't identify a target, unbutton and use bincos. I hate driving a gunner who loses points.

Often it is the dreaded blank... I have had it happen to me both as gunner and driver. As driver I have yelled at them to "SHOOT THE DAMN T-34" only to eventually get killed by it and learn afterwards that he had a blank. On the other end I have been the gunner and had the driver yelling to shoot only to have a blank. It ****s.

Upvote 0
Driving is as much an art as the commander's instinct for judging distances and hitting moving targets. Definitely more so, since it is the driver that can keep the crew alive. Yes, the commander can kill a tank before it kills your tank, but it is the driver that can move the tank before impact and angle perfectly. And these are things that keep you alive most of the time.

Why, I once saw an intrepid driver angling to three tanks that were on two fronts, deflected all shots being fired by all three tanks, withstanding this assault for over a minute, and his commander blew up all three tanks. And off this driver went, his commander's smoking barrel going on before...

It was a thing of beauty such as I have never seen.

Upvote 0
Driving is as much an art as the commander's instinct for judging distances and hitting moving targets. Definitely more so, since it is the driver that can keep the crew alive. Yes, the commander can kill a tank before it kills your tank, but it is the driver that can move the tank before impact and angle perfectly. And these are things that keep you alive most of the time.

Why, I once saw an intrepid driver angling to three tanks that were on two fronts, deflected all shots being fired by all three tanks, withstanding this assault for over a minute, and his commander blew up all three tanks. And off this driver went, his commander's smoking barrel going on before...

wow:eek: that is awsome

Upvote 0
A driver that knows how to angle a tank properly gives the commander more time to get the kill even against superior opponents.

I have been on the thin end of drivers who know what they are doing in a fight & it can be punishing the amount of fire needed to take them out while trying not to be the burning wreckage on the field. Seen over 15 bounce offs on one tank on Arad as he proceeded to take out at least 6 tanks in quick sucsession. only being taen out by a foot soldier with a faust who managed to get close enough in the end.

I have survived for a while in a fight against 2 tigers while driving a SU-76 all down to angling the tank unfortunatly when it came to the second Tiger joining the fray from the other side of me I was unable to counter the onslaught any longer, 6 bounce offs was lucky but the SU is not the most effective when it comes to being pounded from multiple directions.

And to those people that jump into the Stug & SU-76 in mid fight & charge into the thick of it, these vehicles are not designed for close in the open combat, they get blown up very quickly due to thin armour.

Had this a few times on Orel & Black July when camping zones just out of sight of enemy tanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not to sound conceded or self-centered, but that sounds like Vietnow and Me on black day in july.

Vietnow was my driver, I was the commander/gunner in a T34/76. We were in the process of counter-attacking the Forward Left flank, as we drive up, I see 3 tanks. 2 PZ-IVs and a Stug. I am thinking we're dead, but lets give it a shot.

Vietnow possitioned the tank perfectly while I pumped round after round dead on into the tanks. I think the duel between our tank and the 3 enemy tanks lasted about good 3-4 minutes. Vietnow kept re-possitioning the tank to deflect the shots, and he was succesfull each and every time.

Once these 3 tanks were dead, I unbutton and look to see a Stug rolling uo on our rear down a slope. I rotate the turret quickly and bam, one shot one kill to the stug, while it was moving. About 100m away, it kept rolling down the hill after being knocked out. It looked amazing, what a firefight.

btw, Hi Vietnow, best driver ever!

Upvote 0

Just a minor point on this. I'm not a big "My tank!!" guy or anything, but at a certain point, when you're out in the middle of the field, in the thick of battle, it IS your tank. Or at least, it's yours enough that you shouldn't have to worry about some jackass hopping in and driving you off somewhere without even ASKING if it's ok.

I don't mind someone hopping in a tank I'm in as long as they've got a microphone and use it well. I can forgive a LOT of screwups if I know the person's trying and I can usually give 'em pretty good instructions on what to do if they don't know.

But I absolutely despise people who run to your tank and hijack it while you're actually doing something positive for the team. Hijacking is just as selfish and elitist as the "My tank" attitude.

Upvote 0
People that cant drive are the main reason why i prefer to drive and have someone else shoot. I would love to gun more if... local chat worked in tanks all the time. but trying to get by with spamming the whole team and hoping they pick out my voice or using the crappy key stroke commands just ****s.

Upvote 0
Just a minor point on this. I'm not a big "My tank!!" guy or anything, but at a certain point, when you're out in the middle of the field, in the thick of battle, it IS your tank. Or at least, it's yours enough that you shouldn't have to worry about some jackass hopping in and driving you off somewhere without even ASKING if it's ok.

But I absolutely despise people who run to your tank and hijack it while you're actually doing something positive for the team. Hijacking is just as selfish and elitist as the "My tank" attitude.
Quoted for absolute truth.

I've had that happen fortunately only twice so far in my whole time in playing RO, but each time made me so sick I was pretty much done for the day in playing.

God, I hate people who do that, they're much better of dying.

Upvote 0
I will agree it ****s when a moron hijacks your tank.

The local VOIP needs to be fixed and I don't know why it is not higher on the list. At the same time this can be overcome by starting every transmition with the name of the person you are talking to. That can be picked up much better than just hoping they see your name and realize that you are in their tank or recognizing your voice. It starts to really **** though when the server is crowded with many tanks trying to communicate at once. It is even worse when some kids straight from CS start chatting away about completely unrelated crap!:mad:

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, this is my rant :p

What the hell is wrong with tank drivers? Apart from one or two guys (most with the TT tag), every single tank driver I get is a dumbass. That's why I end up taking tanks on my own.

Ex.: I'm commander, I spot a tank that I can kill and I know we arent under danger because we haven't been spotted yet. I press "5" in my numpad. STOP STOP STOP. 10 times. Nothing. We get spoted, boom, we die -_-

Wtf is wrong with people? If you have no idea how to drive a tank, then don't. These aren't modern tanks with shoot-on-the-move systems :rolleyes:

Gunners like you are the reason why I drive my tanks alone. But when my pal is here, we play from the same line and tank the **** out of everyone, and I mean everyone. If you ever meed AttilaDerHeide and me on a server, sitting in the same tank, leave or die. :p ;)

I just tell you one thing - there's nothing better than tanking when your gunner sits right next to you, so you can strangle him if he doesn't hit anything.

But, alas, that's the reason why I don't like tank maps when playing alone. It's such mad fun when playing with my pal as a gunner, but it's total desolation when playing with people that just can't communicate.

Upvote 0

I don't mind someone hopping in a tank I'm in as long as they've got a microphone and use it well. I can forgive a LOT of screwups if I know the person's trying and I can usually give 'em pretty good instructions on what to do if they don't know.

QFT!

Upvote 0
Tank Stealing

Tank Stealing

Of all the annoying things I have experienced, it is the guys who jump into your <singly deployed tank> while u are in the field and gunning and just drive away.

Typically they are people named ROPlayer who just managed to get their vehicle destroyed and found yours to jump into. They don't say anything, they just go.

Final note to new players "<{IT IS IMPOSIBLE TO shoot the main gun effectively IN A MOVING TANK!}>" unless the enemy is 5 feet away.

Upvote 0
Most of the people I've had jump into a tank with me don't seem to see the enemy until they drive on top of us. As driver, I've lined up the commander for perfect shots with the exact angle and he just sits there and stares through the gun scope...all the while I'm going..."Are you going to shoot that tank?" KABOOM!!! We get blown up. I always seem to do better on my own unless I get lucky enough to get someone who knows what the hell they are doing. Time to write a tankers guide.....

Upvote 0