• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Guess The Gun Thread

dickybird said:
nah its the French Chatelleraut 1924 (it was adopted by the American Military as the M29) definatly looks like its been vehicle mounted proberbly on some pissant renult tank.

This has nothing to do with guess the gun, but I heard that when France was invaded. They had better tanks than the Germans. They were spread so thin though that the ones that could engage the Germans were far outnumbered.

Sorry, we can go back to guns now.:D

Upvote 0
At the start of WWII the French fielded the Somua S35, Char B1 (and B1 bis), Renault R35 and FT17, and Hotchkiss H35 and H39 tanks. There were a few others, but not in any significant numbers. There were about 3500 tanks available to the French all told.

Of those the R35 was the most numerous. Unfortunately it was tiny, with a one man turret sporting a very weak short-barreled 37mm gun. The small size precluded the mounting of a radio so the commander had to rely on visual communications to pass or receive orders. That same limitation applied to the majority of the French tanks at the start of the war, with the exception of some (but not all) Char and Somua tanks.

The Char was an obsolete design, intended for a type of warfare that the German Blitzkrieg rendered useless. It mounted a decent 47mm in the turret, but its main punch was the 75mm gun mounted in the hull. That gun was intended for breaching fortress defenses and engaging fixed positions. It had no traverse (left/right movement) and limited elevation. Basically it was aimed by the driver turning the whole tank. It was a powerful gun by the standards of early war armor, but woefully unsuited for engaging moving enemy tanks.

The Somua S35 was actual quite and advanced design. It mounted the same 47mm gun as the Char B1 in the turret, and carried a decent number of rounds. However its utility was reduced by the fact that only the commander could fit in the turret, who also acted as gunner and loader, with rounds being passed to him from the lower hull, same as in the Char tanks. (In fact the one-man turret was the single glaring weakness of all French tanks at the time) The Somua had decent speed, despite a badly underpowered engine. The armor was quite good, making it quite a difficult target for German gunners.

Of the lighter French tanks the Hotchkiss H39 is the only one really worth noting. It carried a good 37mm gun, with the same single-man turret that really cramped its combat efficiency. Still, it was quite a handy little tank that continued to be used by Free French forces until replaced by US tanks late in the war.

The French had some good tanks, and in good numbers. Lack of radios (less than 20% of the tanks that could carry radios actually had them) so severly hampered communications that French tanks were basically on their own once battle was commenced. Single-man turrets meant the commander had to spot targets, engage them, load the gun, and command the tank all at the same time. The impact this had on combat efficiency was severe. Still, they put up a good fight and many only fell to lack of fuel and ammunition. In fact, the Germans were so impressed by certain French tanks that they pressed all they could get their hands on into service with the German army, just like they did with the Czech Mod.38 tank (Pz.38(t)).

Upvote 0
thx for this little history time, many people have got biased idea about what was really the german army and the other armies at this time (the different concept et ...).

nah its the French Chatelleraut 1924
:rolleyes: nope you are wrong,it's not that gun ...
Here the clues:
- it's not a prototype, it have been adopted and wide spread
- multiple task, mounted on everthing
- it has 3 names

Upvote 0
If you're refering the the Renault FT-17, dickybird, I suggest you go read a book on tanks and realise just how much of a fool you're making of yourself by refering to it as 'pissant' ;)

I was refering to the R35 not the FT-17 thats top mounted turret influances modern designs suppose i should have been specific ah well. I just call the R35 the tank that didnt work (thats not including the susspension that had to be replaced in 1940 making the tank designation the R40). just ask the Italians that had to use it ebcause they had nothing else and the poles that used it in a trial.

Ps the guns a CHATELLERAULT M1931 (the origional guess was one version off) and it is a modification of the 1924 for vehicle and fortification mounting.

Upvote 0
l88.jpg

Upvote 0
Carcano M91?

And concernng Steyr-Mannlicher: It isn't pronounced "man-licker"! Rather Sht-eye-er Munn-lee-her .The second syllable is short, but I used the "ee" son not to confused it with "i". The "ch" is pronounced as in the scottish "loch", and, if you can't do so, rather with a strongly exhaled "h" sound than a "k".

Not this one. It was made in 1890, and the design is a little older than that. It is loaded with clips that stay in it until the last shot though.

Upvote 0