• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

problems with spawns

problems with spawns

Can someone help me figure out my problem here with spawns. It seems that when i enter the game from either the editor(play the map) or starting in practice mode. The initial Spawning is all messed up I have germans spawning at the Russian Spawns right next to each other like they are using the same spawn actor. Here is my setup

I have 2 Russian spawns
Precedence 0 for both and both are active
I have 2 german spawns one is temporary
the temp spawn is initially active and precedence to 0, the german regular spawn has precedence 1 and active is set to false on games start. These spawns also use the temporary spawn setup in the SDK manual, with a minute an a half timer. Additionally the German Temporary Spawn does not have a protection volume.

Here is what happens when I go into the game I select axis and spawn only to be spawned at the russian spawn point. I use suicide there and when I come back if I am not over a minute and a half into the game I spawn at the german Temp spawn area where I am supposed to start after the timer runs out the temp spawn closes and German spawns are moved into the regular Spawn area. So the temp to regular part seems to be working alright. Also when I play as allies the Russian spawns seem to be working just fine.
If you have two Spawns that are both active do you have to set seperate Precedences? Like the Russians even though not on a timer should they still have seperate precedences This is the only thing that I can see at the momement. hopefully someone has some insight, Thanks.

Upvote 0
I think spawn issues are teh bane of most RO mappers..

I'm going to guess it's because you have 2x spawns with the same precedence. if you set the precendce on of them difference, does it work?
(make sure you rebuild all or build paths before testing..)

just fyi: I don't think spawn issues would be effected with how you enter the game (ie: 'play map' or selecting practice mode..)

Upvote 0
Most errors with spawning I have found has to do with the Event tag and getting it confused with the volume tag and the player tag.

For now ignore the volume as it is confusing you don't need a volume to spawn people that is only for protection of the players.

In my map RO-Kuzernki, I have labelled my tags a little easier to understand then the tute.

playerstart/events/eventtag germaninitialspawn
ROspawnarea/events/eventtag germaninitialspawn

---------------------
For the volume

ROspawnarea/ROspawnArea/Volumetag Germanspawn1
Volume/events/eventtag Germanspawn1

------------------------

For the russians i have
playerstart/eventtag russianinitialspawn
playerstart/eventtag russianinitialspawn

Now once the german objective is captured I have a different spawn

playerstart/events/eventtag german_farm_spawn
ROspawnarea/events/eventtag german_farm_spawn
Axis Precedence 1
But I also have AxisRequireObjectives 0 this once the objective is captured the it switches the spawn to the higher precedence (think precedence is like higher value)

I personally think your tags are not distinquished from russian and german that why your spawning in the wrong spots, make sure you distiquish your tags for each side, and it might only be one playerstart tag that you copied and pasted.

Upvote 0
well I just thought of the two precedences being the same when I got to work so I will try that when i get home. My tags I think are all good that was the first thing I tried when I saw this. I may change them all just for good measure and readability.

I wasnt sure about the way you enter the game because one way you get bots and the other you do not. I dont have any bot pathing in this map but I dont think that makes a difference. Thanks for the help I will post tonight with what I find.

Upvote 0
spraduke said:
It could be what the others have listed but i also found if you put in bot pathing and it gets edited and you playtest before rebuilding the paths it causes the spawns to bugger up. A complete rebuild tends to solve it.

Well I always do complete rebuilds before I play the map. And I dont have any pathing in the map not sure if not having it could mess up the spawns. It does get quite lively at the spawn when everyone spawns together. I bet it is the precedence thing with the two russian spawns both having 0 . I went over all of the tags for sure but I may have missed one somewhere.

Upvote 0
well turns out it was the Precedences set for my Russian Spawns it did not like two 0 spawns so that is fixed. This is unfortunate I was attempting to make the Russian Spawns Seesaw back and forth thus giving the illusion of a crossfire I am still not seeing an easy way to do this other than just making one Russian Spawn with Playerstarts all over the map I think that is what I will do. What do you guys think about this, or is there some way to manipulate spawns all I have seen is that you can start with them being off and turn them on but not off again. Thanks.

Upvote 0
divine,

Try this. Make two spawns with the same name but place new player spawns one at a time, sticking one in the one location and the next in the other and so on. I'm not sure if that worked, but I remember dealing with a similar situation like you mention and finding a way to do it. Not sure what I did in the end. Some mind probing might restore the lost memory blocks.

Monk

Upvote 0
Monk said:
divine,

Try this. Make two spawns with the same name but place new player spawns one at a time, sticking one in the one location and the next in the other and so on. I'm not sure if that worked, but I remember dealing with a similar situation like you mention and finding a way to do it. Not sure what I did in the end. Some mind probing might restore the lost memory blocks.

Monk

Thanks for the map I will give it a look. Here are you saying make two SpawnActors with the same name (wouldnt one suffice) and then are you thinking then that the playerstarts have a built in numbering ID system so that is why you are staggering them, which is a good Idea I did not think of this so I will give it a try but do I only need one Spawnactor or 2 or 2 with the same tags but different volume tags or the same volume tag name? Interesting though I will play around with this. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Is there a quick and easy way to copy a texture in use on a brush in a level and apply it to a new brush that I have created?

EDIT: Found it [ALT] + RMB on the texture you want to copy and then while still hoding ALT LMB on the new surface you want to apply copied texture to .
hmm.. that's good to know.

QUick question: is this thread ever going to get stickied?

Upvote 0
Okay so over the weekend I was starting to add eye candy to my map and I was looking at trees used in SnowyForrest they have a cull distance setting in display so I was wondering since I use distance fog should you also use cull distance and should its limit match a fog limit? or should you only use the cull if you are not using fog in the level? Does anyone know exactly what cull distance does I know that it is for graphics but does it remove the Smesh from memory?but on the flipside of that I read that once you use a SMesh in map it is written to memory and so every time you see it the engine grabs that memory space so no matter how many trees you have on a level it really is not a hit to performance? Anyone care to expand? Thanks.

And a sticky would be nice.

Upvote 0
Everything outside of the fog gets culled so if your fog is at 12000 UUs you don't need to set your trees to 12000 UUs as well. I personally make sure that almost every single mesh in my map has a cull distance to help with performance but you can simplify this by only putting cull distances on the large/high detail meshes. Another technique you can use is select all the static meshes in a room/area and put a generic cull distance so they won't be rendered all the time. You always have to keep polygon counts in mind when making large open spaces. 1000 trees will slow your map down a lot more than 100 of the same trees because of collision calculations and polygon counts.

Upvote 0
Everything outside of the fog gets culled so if your fog is at 12000 UUs you don't need to set your trees to 12000 UUs as well. I personally make sure that almost every single mesh in my map has a cull distance to help with performance but you can simplify this by only putting cull distances on the large/high detail meshes. Another technique you can use is select all the static meshes in a room/area and put a generic cull distance so they won't be rendered all the time. You always have to keep polygon counts in mind when making large open spaces. 1000 trees will slow your map down a lot more than 100 of the same trees because of collision calculations and polygon counts.

Thanks so if I read this right then as long as my fog is set to the visible range that I want for my map then trees that I have set with 0 cull distance will not be rendered if they are out in the fog. Also you are saying that culling out small deco items in buildings will help also like if you have a pot in a kitchen you set the cull distance of the pot to a distance to just outside of the room so that it renders before you walk into the kitchen right? Good to know thanks for the input.

Upvote 0