• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Projectile Penetration

Piscator

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2006
Couldn't find any thread about this, but I'm sure it exists.

What really bothers me is the lack of effect a projectile has on different materials e.g. wood, brick wall etc. Every time I see an enemy running for cover behind a wooden fence I think: What a suicidal maniac. But my bullets, even from a MG, bounce right off that solid wood. We've seen it in DOD that this is possible.

MG fire even penetrates solid walls and a rifle bullet could kill two soldiers if positioned in a row. Wooden cover is to be not seen rather than fire coverage. I think this would add a lot to realism and make rifles and especially the MG more fearsome weapons.

They implemented the different velocity of weapon types so I guess it should be possible if not essential. What do you guys think???

Last edited:
"engine limitations" is complete BS.

Infiltration for UT99 has this.

I wish the devs stopped saying "engine limitations" and said "resource limitations" instead.

I was just playing Infiltration and it has SO many bad ass features on a 7 year old engine. Many of these features, RO:OST doesn't even dream of.

Upvote 0

I wish the devs stopped saying "engine limitations" and said "resource limitations" instead.

I was just playing Infiltration and it has SO many bad ass features on a 7 year old engine. Many of these features, RO:OST doesn't even dream of.

The more **** you sputter out of that hole of yours the closer I can see you to becoming apart of the banned club.

The President and Co-President of Tripwire has said penetration is not possible on the level that would make it realistic.

Upvote 0

The engine limits the amount of calculations a CPU can make for sure.
It's either the realism we have now (which almost pushes a CPU to it's limits) or penetration.
It's the same kind of limitation we have now for the number of players.
Either more players with less realism or the amount of players we have now WITH the realism we have now.

Upvote 0
Now I know

Now I know

thanks to aesdana i found the other threads, so sorry about opening another one. I understand the difficulties now. I love this game and if I have to wait for the next generation I will. Its great the way it is right now but theres always room for improvement. So lets keep this game alive!!!!

Upvote 0

One of the few Kabex posts I can agree with

Upvote 0
Infiltration has afew advantages though.

1. Weapons aren't constantly firing
  2. most servers are capped at 16 players
  3. The don't have to deal with static mesh collisions
  4. Less complicated Geometry
  5. Shorter distances
So I can understand why penetration is difficult puzzle to work out, but its no something that can't be more seriously explored

Upvote 0
in a thread, similar as this one, it got explained very well, WHY bullepenetration isnt possible, for NOW. No one told, it woud be impossible, in general, not with the engine, nor with anything. It is the calculation, that makes it so hard. Cause as some already, said, the servers and game, is already somewhat stressed heavily.

There isnt anything else, i wish more for mgs then bullet penetration. But i dont think, a map as barashka, Arad or similar one with 32 people, coud work, when there is also realistic penetration in the calculation, there was been a video around, that showed some destructible enviroment (wood) for RO, which worked very well, but already there with one single player, you coud see, that this is going to drop the FPS in to hell. And dont forget, the tanks, are not working "totally right" as well, and need to be fixed a bit to be more accurate, which will defintely, again need more variables and calculation!

I wish there woud be already a game like ROO for UE3

Upvote 0
Machine Pistole 38, your response was far more aggitated and immature than his post. Good work, you made yourself look rather stupid.

:rolleyes:

Kabex's growing unhappiness of the Red Orchestra Dev team is getting quite old to me. He started out with intelligent posts that thought out his complaint - now to one or two lines of 'The Devs are just lazy and can't fix what I want done blah blah'

Call me what ever you will, but I don't just rip someones head off if I don't think they either deserved or they themselves went too far with a post.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

Kabex's growing unhappiness of the Red Orchestra Dev team is getting quite old to me. He started out with intelligent posts that thought out his complaint - now to one or two lines of 'The Devs are just lazy and can't fix what I want done blah blah'

Call me what ever you will, but I don't just rip someones head off if I don't think they either deserved or they themselves went too far with a post.
I simply said it was BS because it was in fact BS.

To put it simple, engine limitations don't exist. A certain feature might take 10 years to implement, but it's still possible.

If you have UT99 download Infiltration and see for yourself, many features which people would deem "impossible" for UT2.5 are very much possible in UT1.0 with a bit of dedication.

I am just saying that the devs shouldn't use "cop out" answers like such.

I'm one of the biggest Tripwire supporters here, it's just that I'm very voiceful about my opinions.

BTw, I've said every single thing I needed to say in extremely meticulous and thorough manner, so I just drop one liners here and there because quite frankly I don't need to type anything more, people know the facts.

Upvote 0
I simply said it was BS because it was in fact BS.

To put it simple, engine limitations don't exist. A certain feature might take 10 years to implement, but it's still possible.

If you have UT99 download Infiltration and see for yourself, many features which people would deem "impossible" for UT2.5 are very much possible in UT1.0 with a bit of dedication.

I am just saying that the devs shouldn't use "cop out" answers like such.

I'm one of the biggest Tripwire supporters here, it's just that I'm very voiceful about my opinions.

BTw, I've said every single thing I needed to say in extremely meticulous and thorough manner, so I just drop one liners here and there because quite frankly I don't need to type anything more, people know the facts.

Well go ahead, try adding bullet penetration in to the game without reworking 95% of the game code. I bet Ramm would be happy.

Upvote 0