• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design DarkJuly vs Orel

what tires me is how LONG orel games go for, 90 minutes for one game is ok, but when you have a server admin set to 3 rounds... it takes what feels like a whole day get through it... whats worse is when they have both... RIGHT AFTER EACHOTHER. I think you can have duplicates in the maplist!

Also, considering the new victory conditions, Orels time limit could easly be dropped to 45-50 minutes, since all you need to do is hold most of the map to win.

Upvote 0
what tires me is how LONG orel games go for, 90 minutes for one game is ok, but when you have a server admin set to 3 rounds... it takes what feels like a whole day get through it... whats worse is when they have both... RIGHT AFTER EACHOTHER. I think you can have duplicates in the maplist!

Also, considering the new victory conditions, Orels time limit could easly be dropped to 45-50 minutes, since all you need to do is hold most of the map to win.

The problem with Orel rounds being so long is also that a lot of players never make the final rush to the south or north lake.

All objectives are held but one, the bridges are destroyed, arty is called on the other side of the last bridge and what do people do? They sit on their asses and kill incoming enemy tanks at long range on the other side of the river.

Upvote 0
Orel offers just about everything a Tanker desires.
Takes you 10 minutes to engage an enemy ? though ! Personally I love being able to make large flanking movements with my trusted gunner.
Chokepoints ? Not as long as you can use the tank as a sub at certain locations :D
Totally agree with the poster above me somewhere that asked for some trenches etc around capzones, this would be awesome at the heights, specially around Central heights as being infantry up there is an ungrateful job indeed.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to get sick of Orel/Orel76vs88 these days. It needs to be improved, updated and finalized once and for all. Its been nearly 2 months since it was released.

If slashbot isn't going do do it, someone else should.

Dont worry, its on its way :D. The next(final) version is about 1/3 done. Not going to give away too much but theres an extra objective, the bridges have been replaced, the heights modified, all the trees redone, new houses, new scripts, better tank balance, more cover in areas. Basicly the same idea tho.

Upvote 0
Good to hear that Orel is being worked on, Its a good map but for the silly probelms.

1. Tanks getting stuck on blades of grass.
2. Spawns (Say no more)
3. Bridges destruction not very apparent on map.
4. takes way to long to complete.

Other than that I love it. PS give the allied the T60 its not used in maps enough

I think it is a good map too, and I like that it is a big map. The only changes that I really would like to see are:

1. West Field house, the lines of tall green grass stops the tank in its tracks, and you will take your life first before you can work the tank off.
2. I use the rivers to get across too, but I think that if a tank goes into the river, it should be a death.
3. more anti-tank weapons for infantry when a tank is lost.

Upvote 0
I think it is a good map too, and I like that it is a big map. The only changes that I really would like to see are:

1. West Field house, the lines of tall green grass stops the tank in its tracks, and you will take your life first before you can work the tank off.
2. I use the rivers to get across too, but I think that if a tank goes into the river, it should be a death.
3. more anti-tank weapons for infantry when a tank is lost.

Never experienced the Blad of Grass problem.

Crossing the river underwater is a problem.

I think there are too many anti tank weapons in the field already. Satchels should be restricted to 2 engineers per side only and then maybe have some anti tank weapons in some of the villages for if a tanker gets stranded they can still take the fight to the enemy. Still, supplies of these weapons should not be extensive as they were silly enough to loose their tank in the first place :)

Looking forward to the revised versions and will still love playing the 76 vs 88 version. Having the T60 go up against the Tiger would be lots of fun.

Upvote 0
Dont worry, its on its way :D. The next(final) version is about 1/3 done. Not going to give away too much but theres an extra objective, the bridges have been replaced, the heights modified, all the trees redone, new houses, new scripts, better tank balance, more cover in areas. Basicly the same idea tho.

that's great to hear Slash. One request; please make sure only tanks that were available in July 1943 get onto the map's tank allotments (ala the 88vs76 version).

thanks!

Upvote 0
LOL :) yeah how silly of the enemy to shoot my tank, they just do not know any better.

Nah, more the emphasis on you loosing your tank to the enemy :)

Geez, lets just get historically accurate here and give every tanker a PTRD, 5 Panzerfuasts and 10 Satchels and an MG42 just incase they get their tanks blown up on them and are left in the field.

Do we have power ups and med kits lying around everywhere as well? :p

Upvote 0
I like the ability to carry the fight on with a satchel if I can. Tank men did abandon their damaged tanks to carry the fight on if they could. Just my side of the issue.

Tankists rarely left their tanks as they would be shot for abandoning them.

They certainly did not carry 10lbs of high-explosive in the glove compartment next to their packet of Werther's original and "Now That's What I Call Solemn Music vol.56" CD.

They could also carry on the fight with a portable jet-pack and plasma blast rifle if this were a fantasy/SF game but, alas! we who care are stuck with boring old realism.

Just my side of it. ;)

Upvote 0

I hope you're rescaling the hills to a lower overall height - I love having the vertical element, but they remind me too much of RO-Kalinin :p . BTW, did you use a terrain heightmap of the region itself for the map? I was just wondering if the hills are based on the actual terrain.

Upvote 0