• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Machine guns

Alright imagine it like this, have someone post a video of them shooting a MG42 but using a string or wire to pull the trigger. You would get the same results as that RO video, considering the shooter just clicked on his mouse button and let the MG42 fire.
No that is not at all accurate try that in real life the thing would fall of the table or whatever your shooting on.

Upvote 0
No that is not at all accurate try that in real life the thing would fall of the table or whatever your shooting on.

So, in real life you hold the gun down and make sure it is accurate. In a video game (Red Orchestra) you need to compensate for the recoil with your mouse. Is it that hard to comprehend?

If you look at the people who are offering suggestions they are saying exactly what Truman is saying right now. He learned how to use the MG, you on the other hand seem like him back in April. (I ****, it must mean the gun is broken or the recoil is unrealistic!)

Upvote 0

If you had BOTHERED to read to the end of the thread, you will see that a Dev came by and gave me a pointer. After that and developing some tactics, one of my last post says.....

Forget everything I've ever said about the MG42. It's perfect as is. They are starting to call me nasty names when I use this thing. Thanks Wilsonam!

You didn't read that far did you? Again, you jump to forgone conclusions about things you know nothing about. Your credibility is shot, give it up.

Upvote 0
If you had BOTHERED to read to the end of the thread, you will see that a Dev came by and gave me a pointer. After that and developing some tactics, one of my last post says.....

You didn't read that far did you? Again, you jump to forgone conclusions about things you know nothing about. Your credibility is shot, give it up.
Dude are you so ignorant as to not comprehend what I am saying sure you can get kills with an mg good but it does not function as it would in real life man the recoil is exsesive the accuracy is crap no surpresion just because you can kill somthing dosnt mean it is modeled correctly again you jump to forgone conclusions about somthing you know nothing about. :p

Upvote 0

Wow in the first place I didnt even say anything man dont be so quick to insult people and think I am insulting you lol :) . I did read the whole thread by the way.

Upvote 0
Best idea would be to increase the accuracy a bit and decrease initial recoil. The longer you fire an SMG or an MG the less recoil you get. Also, increase the suppression effect. Also, for machines with video cards that are older (ala my old notebook (64 meg geforce 4)) there needs to be an alternative suppression effect. If your card can't do the blur effects, NOTHING happens in place of it. In the mod, the alternative was to darken the screen. That was terrible, but it was something.

Upvote 0
Sorry. I forget my elite skills and super comptuer that the rest of you lack.
A note on computers: After buying a new computer Pentium 4 (3,1 GHz GeForce 6200 SE Turbocahe 1024 Mb DDR2 RAM), replacing my old Athlon XP 1600 with a GeForce 5200 FX and 1280 Mb of SDRam I have improved atleast a four fold when it comes to the number of kills I make and now I can even make long range kills due to the higher resolution I can now run but that only applies to using the rifles! So the horsepower of the computer makes a markedly felt impact on game and player performance and should not be discounted when someone say they are really good at the game. When it comes to machineguns(especially the MG34/42's) I experience only a slight improvement in kills which in my experience is due to the inherrent inaccuracy of the ingame weapons and not my skills in using them. Compared to my extensive experience firing the MG3(7,62 mm NATO version of the MG42) I simply don't see the MG42 being accurate enough! The mg3 does have a powerfull recoil, which feels like being pushed backwards by a big fellow, especially when firing from the kneeling position where if one wants to hit you have to fire burst of no more than 3-4 rounds or wedge your body aginst some firm object so you cant't move backwards. Lying down the recoil is not felt as much and longer and still accurate bursts are possible but short bursts of 3-4 rounds are still preferable due to two things: 1) No need to waste 10 rounds to get one man when it suffices with 3-4 - That is ammo conservation is paramount due to the guns very high rate of fire also firing short bursts increases the time between barrel change as the gun has more time to cool over time compared to firing 8-10 bursts or longer, 2) No matter what firing position one assumes firing longer bursts decreases accuracy do to higher recoil and vibration when compared to shorter bursts. When firing 3-4 rounds bursts and if the gun is braced correctly the bulletspread should be almost exclusive vertical and it is my experience that when fired correctly the vertical dispersion is about 5-8 cm on 100m targets when firing short bursts with only about 0,5- max 2cm lateral dispersion which means and is also my experience that even when firing at targets at 300 or 400 meters you should expect a hit on first burst since the gun will hit where you aim it.
I agree with Harry S. Truman that tapping the gun is more accurate than firing of long bursts but to me it still seems random where the bullets hit compared to the sightpicture of ironsight. Abother thing I still think the guns need are adjustable sights so it will be possible to adjust the ironsights for range. In real life one would use the battle zero(usually 300m or yards) and then only adjust the sights for longer ranges. In real life when firing the MG3 the rule is(in the Danish army) to set the sight 100m above the range one would fire at the targets(example when firing at targets at 300 m the sight will be set to 400m) which means that one has to aim low on the target and thus making it easy to see if the bullets hits short of the target. This way of aiming is very effective and makes it easy to observe the targets as well as bullet splash and consequently makes it rather easy to hit targets on long range due the ability to observe the full target. Of course this means that only gunners with good spatial skills and carefull knowledge of the gun's ballistics will be able to use it to full effect. This way of aiming/shooting should be incorporated in the game I think.

Upvote 0
this is a great reference to what an MG42 is like. Notice on the slowed down shots the gun continues to fire a round or two after his finger leaves the trigger

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=796081158438373019&q=mg42

And here is a video taken by someone in RO, I happened to come across while running the same search.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5374837722999413364&q=mg42

I found the comparison very interesting.

The only reason for the high recoil in the first video is because they are noobs firing the gun with bipod in the wrong position, the bipod is supposed to be slightly canted toward the gunner and not away from him as observed in the above video. When deployed as in the video the bipod offers no support whatsoever and therefore the high recoil, when deployed correctly the recoil is not bad and you don't see much vertical and lateral displacement of the gun but the gunner will rock back and forth due to recoil which slightly dsiturbs the sightpicture.

Upvote 0
And here is a video taken by someone in RO, I happened to come across while running the same search.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5374837722999413364&q=mg42

I found the comparison very interesting.

Piller thats a recoil bug sigh did you even read the comment "[SIZE=-1] The recoil on the MG42 that appeared after the recent patch" please get your facts straight before you start giving people false information now watch this video and you'll what i mean we can all play that game piller. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emw8Ax5g3i8
Posting a video does not prove anything this goes for the video i just posted.
[/SIZE]

Upvote 0
The only reason for the high recoil in the first video is because they are noobs firing the gun with bipod in the wrong position, the bipod is supposed to be slightly canted toward the gunner and not away from him as observed in the above video. When deployed as in the video the bipod offers no support whatsoever and therefore the high recoil, when deployed correctly the recoil is not bad and you don't see much vertical and lateral displacement of the gun but the gunner will rock back and forth due to recoil which slightly dsiturbs the sightpicture.

The bipod has to be deployed like this:

'''''\'''''''''''''\\''''''(

not like this

'''''/'''''''''''''\\''''''(

The lower version would not only shake like hell, it will also most likely hurt you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0