• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Machine guns

Who was the guy in one of these threads that one of his relitives in laws grandfather in ww2 him and his squad where mouseholing their way through the buildings attic instead of going down the street and have to face the mg 42. That weapon and the weapon we have in game are definatly not the same that is for sure. We should ask the guy why they didnt just poke their head up and pick off the mgs with a rifle or snipe them with an smg rofl!

Well, in real life, when you die its permanent. I think this is enough to explain why they didnt take the risk of assaulting it head on.

Also, I would imagine that the mg42 they were facing was properly entrenched, not just some dude prone deployed out in the middle of an open field. A really good sandbag barrier with just a peephole for the mg is much more effective than whatever limited cover you can get in RO.

Further, the ranges in RO are probably shorter than they were in actual combat, which makes it much harder to spot a target, especially if it has any concealment. In real life, player pixels dont contrast with fog color to highlight your target, nor is there any kind of poly limit to prevent tons of vegetation, debris and other junk from obscuring your target. I think it is pretty obvious that RO will never be able to simulate this, and I dont think the fault is with the mg accuracy.

Upvote 0
Well, in real life, when you die its permanent. I think this is enough to explain why they didnt take the risk of assaulting it head on.

Also, I would imagine that the mg42 they were facing was properly entrenched, not just some dude prone deployed out in the middle of an open field. A really good sandbag barrier with just a peephole for the mg is much more effective than whatever limited cover you can get in RO.

Further, the ranges in RO are probably shorter than they were in actual combat, which makes it much harder to spot a target, especially if it has any concealment. In real life, player pixels dont contrast with fog color to highlight your target, nor is there any kind of poly limit to prevent tons of vegetation, debris and other junk from obscuring your target. I think it is pretty obvious that RO will never be able to simulate this, and I dont think the fault is with the mg accuracy.
I think it is an issue with the accuracy if the mg accuracy in ww2 was like it is in RO those guys would have just picked off the mg with their rifle or just ran accros the streets because the accuracy ****s so much I will repeat myself again in real life an mg is more accurate than a rifle it has a longer barrel it is alot heavier it has a bipod or tripod witch is even more accurate what more do I have to say. In RO you can get picked off by and smg somtimes when they do short bursts there is no excuse for this horrible depiction of mgs I am sorry.

Upvote 0
nice truman. Good to know that there are at least some out there, who can own evryone with the mg in RO:O. Sad that its not about that what people talk and no one takes care about your opinion in that, then more, about how unrealistic the gun in RO is presented. And i have my own sources, from people, that are used with mgs. And if even this people, which have done service in the german bundeswehr(army) tell me, the mg in RO is a joke ... then i have to believe, that somewhat isnt working right (now just about accuracy and recoil)

Upvote 0
Everyone keeps yelling they are unrealistic. I don't see it. None of you offer proof except, I heard this, I read this, look at this video. In the end, none of you really know what the hell you are talking about. All I know is I can mow down Russians with it left and right. I LOVE IT!

I can't help the fact that I have elite skills. I feel sorry for the 27 of you that can never acheive this nirvana of machine gun goodness. That right, I just want the machine guns kept the way they are so only I can be a GOD with them. The MG42 GOD. I'm going right now to change my username......

Upvote 0
Everyone keeps yelling they are unrealistic. I don't see it. None of you offer proof except, I heard this, I read this, look at this video. In the end, none of you really know what the hell you are talking about. All I know is I can mow down Russians with it left and right. I LOVE IT!

I can't help the fact that I have elite skills. I feel sorry for the 27 of you that can never acheive this nirvana of machine gun goodness. That right, I just want the machine guns kept the way they are so only I can be a GOD with them. The MG42 GOD. I'm going right now to change my username......

alright, lets meet in a server, you as machineguner, and get this server full. I want to see, how youre donig it again a horde of russians. Realy, seriously, without any offense!. Im currious, about this "skills", who knows, maybe you are even right.

You have a server you prefer to play on ?

Upvote 0
alright, lets meet in a server, you as machineguner, and get this server full. I want to see, how youre donig it again a horde of russians. Realy, seriously, without any offense!. Im currious, about this "skills", who knows, maybe you are even right.

And what happens if he proves you wrong? Does that mean it takes more skill to use the MGs than any other weapon in RO? And if he loses what does that mean? That its almost impossible to model fear of death, proper suppression, and a multitude of other things that make MGs so powerful in real life?

Honestly, the MGs get their job done in RO. Deny an area to the enemy until the MGer is killed or runs out of ammo, just like every other role in the game.

Upvote 0

Dude have you ever in your life shot an mg42 I didnt think so I own one and I can tell you it is not nearly as horrible as it is in RO I can accuratly hit targets about the size of a man at 200 yards with long bursts try that in RO lol the recoil is definatly not that heavy it dosnt kick up it kicks back and no I am not using a tripod its a bipod and I'm not even a trained soilder and I can hit targets that would be imposible in RO. Just because you can hit somthing dosnt make it the way it should be dude I am not arguing that the mgs are horribly unusable but they are clearly not the way they should be.

Upvote 0

You can find me at 2Manny's ROOST 95% of the time. I grab the MG when I can, you know how strange the position selection is.

Upvote 0
Dude have you ever in your life shot an mg42 I didnt think so I own one and I can tell you it is not nearly as horrible as it is in RO I can accuratly hit targets about the size of a man at 200 yards with long bursts try that in RO lol the recoil is definatly not that heavy it dosnt kick up it kicks back and no I am not using a tripod its a bipod and I'm not even a trained soilder and I can hit targets that would be imposible in RO. Just because you can hit somthing dosnt make it the way it should be dude I am not arguing that the mgs are horribly unusable but they are clearly not the way they should be.

You don't own an MG42. If you do, take a photo of it right now with your face and this post in the background. I even made the text big and red so we can see it's the same post.

Upvote 0
You don't own an MG42. If you do, take a photo of it right now with your face and this post in the background. I even made the text big and red so we can see it's the same post.
Beleve what you want I am not going out to my garage to open my gun case drag the thing inside the house and find my damn camera to take a picuture of it then upload it on my computer then upload it to a website just to prove somone like you wrong

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
this is a great reference to what an MG42 is like

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=796081158438373019&q=mg42

And here is a video taken by someone in RO, I happened to come across while running the same search.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5374837722999413364&q=mg42

I found the comparison very interesting.
I have seen the first video too dude those guys arent even soilders and it dosnt kick that much. And note that it dosnt kick up it kicks back with almost no vertical kick RO depicts way to much vertical that is also why its hard to keep a bead on targets.

Upvote 0
this is a great reference to what an MG42 is like. Notice on the slowed down shots the gun continues to fire a round or two after his finger leaves the trigger

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=796081158438373019&q=mg42

And here is a video taken by someone in RO, I happened to come across while running the same search.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5374837722999413364&q=mg42

I found the comparison very interesting.

What part did you find interesting? That they guy playing the game fired the entire belt in like 3 seconds. That's 250 rounds! The guys in the real video were firing very short bursts, like you are supposed to do. The gun behaves very much like the real video when used like that.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0