• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Manually bolting the weapon empty (take two)

FixxeR

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006
Finland
Hullo,

I posted this a few months back but since I didn't notice this one on the compiled suggestions list, I'll post it again.

Could TW possibly implement manual bolting, so that we could bolt out our ammo manually and then reload a new clip, so we wouldn't need to shoot the clip empty and make excessive noise? It wouldn't be hard to implement since all the animations would be the same as before, only needs a bit of code to do.

Sounds good to me.
It's not a good idea to start an assault with one round in the chamber and an empty magazine.

Another option would be to also (aditionally to the current system) allow people to reload round for round, like the sniper.

Yep, that's my point. But about reloading single rounds, the problem is that riflemen weren't probably equipped with single rounds, only those "comb" clips (sorry, don't know the exact name).

aesdana, that's also a good alternative. If we could just get someone from TW to express their thoughts about this.. :)

Upvote 0
Yep, that's my point. But about reloading single rounds, the problem is that riflemen weren't probably equipped with single rounds, only those "comb" clips (sorry, don't know the exact name).

aesdana, that's also a good alternative. If we could just get someone from TW to express their thoughts about this.. :)

You can unload those clips as well and I'm sure a lot of soldiers did.
For the same reason you started this thread.
Hell, even G.I.'s carrying Garands did it.

Upvote 0
Riflemen might been equipped only with stripper clips, but you can take cartridges of from stripper clips. You can also load rifle with stripper clips even if there are cartridges still in magazine. So basically there are two ways of loading rifle mid magazine.
With single cartridges like sniper now does. It would take more time, cause you should take cartridges of from stripper clip. Straight from stipper clip it would be faster. We do need somekind of improvement to loading mid magazine. No one IRL could be that dumb that he couldn load mid magazine.
It will need new anims, and that might also be issue here.

Upvote 0
Would you really want to start separating rounds midgame from stripper clips? Ofcourse it's possible in real life, but in a game like RO it might not be all that fun to waste your time doing that.. But if it would be optional how do you want to reload your weapon, it might just do the trick.

I think they would put about X amount of loose rounds in one of their pockets BEFORE they started an action.

Upvote 0
IRL you would probaly just load it using stripper clip. Same thing could be implemented to game. For example, when you have two cartridges in magazine, you put three more from stripper clip. What happens to half empty stripper clip, is a different story, but not hard to solve. Maybe it just ends to last ammo pouch, and you use it when you dont have full ones left.

Upvote 0
Guys, it's not that hard to pull a round off of a stripper. Like, you brace part of the stripper clip in your hand, and just pull the last one off with your thumb and forefinger.

The cocking sleeve shenanigans bother me a whole lot more than being unable to single-load or manually bolt rounds out at will; I'm used to visually checking the cocking sleeve on my bolt-actions in case I forget whether or not I've fired, and the sleeves in RO somehow float back out to "cocked" position after firing.

Upvote 0
Would you really want to start separating rounds midgame from stripper clips? Ofcourse it's possible in real life, but in a game like RO it might not be all that fun to waste your time doing that.. But if it would be optional how do you want to reload your weapon, it might just do the trick.

if you dont think its fun then dont use it, simple:) though i have to agree it would be easier to bolt out every last bullet and simply reload.
and i have to agree its easy to get bullets of the stripper clip, its not all that hard, they're not that tight.
it would just add to the tactical side of things. no one wants to go into another battle with 1 bullet left in the clip, and no one wants to shoot because that will give away your position.
if they only implement bolting every bullet out of your weapon so you could reload, that would be great.

Upvote 0
IRL you would probaly just load it using stripper clip. Same thing could be implemented to game. For example, when you have two cartridges in magazine, you put three more from stripper clip. What happens to half empty stripper clip, is a different story, but not hard to solve. Maybe it just ends to last ammo pouch, and you use it when you dont have full ones left.

the same thing is allready in place with smg magazines so it should be possible. nice idea:D (and sorry for the doublepost )

Upvote 0
I think redoing the bolt action rifles reload system is a good idea and instead of useing the magazine is heavy/light method we could use a visual method. The only way to tell how many rounds you are loading is to look at the stripper clip whislt reloading. Now that would require more animations, but i think it would be a add-on that while isn't the most needed, will add imersion.

Upvote 0