• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Paradox Interactive Thread

King Ragnar said:
oh for fook sake which event?

You get the Baltic states after you agree with Germany to the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. This is where the sphere of influence is decided, and as the SU, you of course get the Baltic states. This also allows you to go to war with Finland for a low dissent hit. However if you already went to war with the Baltic states and annex them, you will not get that part of the event.

You will still get the eastern part of Poland in 1939 when Germany annexes Poland, and you will get the Winter war event as well though.

Upvote 0
Yeah, and there are lots and lots of hidden countries :D

I'm currently playing as Ottoman Empire :cool:

ottomanempireuk2.png

Upvote 0
Troels said:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199818&page=1&pp=25 :p By the way, not trying to piss on your parade or downplay your results, Hobo. I could not do something like that for the life of me.

I think we HOI2'ers should try and come together to do an axis of evil coop.

that one is fore sure fake... seriously Soviet ALLWAYS declare war on you when you invade poland :p (unless it's the molotov ribbentrop pakt=

Upvote 0
Do you guys use any mods with HOI2?​

Yes, got CORE mod, 1914 mod and HSR mod. All of them are great btw.
I also use the Graphic Improvement Project mod for the CORE and HSR mod. What it does is replace a lot of the stock sprites, flags, graphics, colors leaders and so on and add on some awesome high quality instead.

Upvote 0
Well I finally caved and went and got HoI2 after never really playing a good grand strategy game and sort of giving up on the genre. I have to say, trying to hold Germany at the border without giving up any territories in '41 when it's your first game is, in a word, HARD. All of a sudden when I take military control of Finland (I chose to puppet Finland instead of annexing it) and mass up forces for a strike at the border between SU, Germany and Lithuania, I've got German divisions pouring across the San into Lvov and suddenly my outflanking maneouvre basically turned the entire front from east-west to north-south.

Looking forward to trying out the Third Reich in the Road to War :D

Upvote 0
Well I finally caved and went and got HoI2 after never really playing a good grand strategy game and sort of giving up on the genre. I have to say, trying to hold Germany at the border without giving up any territories in '41 when it's your first game is, in a word, HARD. All of a sudden when I take military control of Finland (I chose to puppet Finland instead of annexing it) and mass up forces for a strike at the border between SU, Germany and Lithuania, I've got German divisions pouring across the San into Lvov and suddenly my outflanking maneouvre basically turned the entire front from east-west to north-south.

Looking forward to trying out the Third Reich in the Road to War :D

The best setting is to start from Road to War, you can make your own plans basicly :p

Upvote 0
I just picked this game up w/ digital download the other night...even after having played the demo+ tutorials I got sooooo lost when I started a campaign as USSR. When the Molotov Pact happened, I got my half of Poland, and tried (several times) to demand territory from Latvia/Estonia but they wouldn't cave in. The Winter War triggered and I kept losing battle after battle in Finland.

Then I found the manual :O

And holy cow, no wonder I lost so many battles...I was just making as big of field commands as possible cause I was like "hey, it's Russia," but all this Overstacking, etc...wow.

I'm *almost* done with the manual, so hopefully I can start playing for real soon :p

Also...is there a way to remove the 1953 end game cap? I wanna have time to be able to learn as I play plus pull a Red Dawn kinda deal on the US. I so wanna take over the province I live in, or try to do the offensive from Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising, albeit successful :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Second night in a row I sat down just to "see how my campaign's going"... yeah, that went well. :p

Exactly how do the historical dates affect research performed? I seem to remember reading that researching too far ahead leads to your teams stumbling around in the dark and the research moving slooow.... which isn't good when I want to get my assembly lines done ASAP, but will have to wait. :eek:

I finally sat down to play Germany in the Road to War. Played for a lot of today and it's only February of '39. I've got somewhere in the vicinity of 75 infantry divisions sitting in border provinces between myself and Poland, in anticipation of the invasion on September 1st. I also have roughly 10-15 divisions standing by, ready to deploy into Elbing and Konigsberg. Does that affect anything, having divisions standing idle instead of me deploying them to a province?

I tried to intervene on the behalf of Nationalistic Spain... I didn't know how to get my relations up besides just using Influence Nation, so I ended up getting NS into the Axis and taking military control of their forces too late. Little did I know that, had I DOWed Republican Spain and guaranteed Nationalist's independance I would have been able to invite them much quicker, and maintained control of Spain, which would have given me quick, easy access to a second front against France... and, of course, would have left me free to capture Gibraltar.

Picking up little tricks here and there, like gearing in series runs. Most of my infantry divisions were built as 1936 infantry, which unfortunately means I have between February 4th, 1939 and September 1st, 1939 to upgrade my ENTIRE infantry force to 1939 infantry, not to mention the Panzer divisions that need upgrading. I think my upgrade requirement right now is something in the vicinity of 550 :eek:

Having tons of fun. Ended up losing Poland to Germany earlier this morning when I briefly resumed my Soviet campaign, then decided to take on the role of the aggressor, and swapped to my Axis campaign. :D

It's hard not to get deeply involved when you click the shortcut. I told myself, just 15 minutes to make sure that everything will be running smoothly. Here I am, over an hour later. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Exactly how do the historical dates affect research performed? I seem to remember reading that researching too far ahead leads to your teams stumbling around in the dark and the research moving slooow.... which isn't good when I want to get my assembly lines done ASAP, but will have to wait. :eek:
There is a huge penelty if you research techs earlier than the historic year. It increases the further it is. So if you have a 1940 tech and its 1937/38 not a good idea. You are better of researching other techs first.

Personally I do research tech a year a head of time all the time, with Germany you kinda have to, and they have the best tech teams. Make sure you focus on Air Doctrines as Axis, or with any nation. I always have 1 tech teams (sometimes 2) researching Air Doctrines non stop.
I finally sat down to play Germany in the Road to War. Played for a lot of today and it's only February of '39. I've got somewhere in the vicinity of 75 infantry divisions sitting in border provinces between myself and Poland, in anticipation of the invasion on September 1st. I also have roughly 10-15 divisions standing by, ready to deploy into Elbing and Konigsberg. Does that affect anything, having divisions standing idle instead of me deploying them to a province?

If you have your divisions in the force pool they draw on resources the same as if they were in a province. The only thing is, when you deploye them, they obviously have no organization. So you don't want to deploy your units into the front lines if there is a war or battles going on. I always deploy my units behind the lines (1 province back, or two if I am retreating).

Picking up little tricks here and there, like gearing in series runs. Most of my infantry divisions were built as 1936 infantry, which unfortunately means I have between February 4th, 1939 and September 1st, 1939 to upgrade my ENTIRE infantry force to 1939 infantry, not to mention the Panzer divisions that need upgrading. I think my upgrade requirement right now is something in the vicinity of 550

Don't worry about upgrading all your units at once, its nearly impossible later in the game. I usually set it fairly low and if I want specific units to get replacements first, I set them to priority. Usually I like my Air Force to be the most up to date, so I have my priority set on all my fighters.

Also, your domestic setting determine how fast and cheap your upgrades are. Check Hawk Lobby/Dove Lobby and Free Market/Centralized Market.

Having tons of fun. Ended up losing Poland to Germany earlier this morning when I briefly resumed my Soviet campaign, then decided to take on the role of the aggressor, and swapped to my Axis campaign. :D

It's hard not to get deeply involved when you click the shortcut. I told myself, just 15 minutes to make sure that everything will be running smoothly. Here I am, over an hour later. :rolleyes:

I love playing the Soviets sometimes and invading Germany in 1940.
I know what you mean, this is not a 15min game at all, its gets you hooked so damn quick. An hour can go by without even noticing, which happens all the time.

Also...is there a way to remove the 1953 end game cap?
There is a thing called notimelimit patch, you'd have to ask on the paradox forums for that. I know its there, because the 1914 mod uses it. So just ask, and I am sure plenty of people will point you to it.

Upvote 0
Quote from the official forum:

"Researching ahead of time (information gathered from this board and not tested myself):

You get a cumulative 0,15% penalty per day for researching ahead of time. The cap for this penalty is at 90%. The relevant time for a tech is always 01.01. of the corresponding year. So a 1938 technology started at 01.01.37 would get a 360*0,15% = 54% penalty for the first day, a 53,85% penalty for the second day and so on until you reach 01.01.38 when you don’t get any penalty for the remaining research of this tech anymore."

So this means anything over about 1.5 years before the historical year is going to be researched about 90% slower than at the historical year, but this comes down to about 54% as you get to 1 year ahead? So basically its best to research things on their historical date but about 1 year early if you have to, otherwise you will end up with less tech advances in the long run and you will waste money. Is this correct?

Upvote 0
Quote from the official forum:​

"Researching ahead of time (information gathered from this board and not tested myself):​

You get a cumulative 0,15% penalty per day for researching ahead of time. The cap for this penalty is at 90%. The relevant time for a tech is always 01.01. of the corresponding year. So a 1938 technology started at 01.01.37 would get a 360*0,15% = 54% penalty for the first day, a 53,85% penalty for the second day and so on until you reach 01.01.38 when you don​

Upvote 0