• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shovels and Knives as melee weapons

Geheme

Aug 7, 2006
I didn't find anything about the use of the shovels as melee weapons on this forum.

So, bayonets were not often used during WWII on the East Front, soldiers of both sides use their very well sharpened trench shovels against infantry in melee combat or trench knives.

German Knife 1 & 2

For some shovels pictures, play to RO.

Go play Dod, or cod2 if you want to leet knife someone or whack em with a shovel.

i really don't get it when people respond like this, soldiers during ww2 did use shovels and knifes in combat, just because they are represented in unrealistic games doesnt mean they dont exist. I mean DOD:S has a garand.... does that mean it wasn't used in ww2?

Upvote 0
The characters run about with Shovels attached to their waist so why not let the players use them!! if your a rifleman all you have is your rifle two grenades and the bayonet, you can use the rifle for meele attack yes but why not let the players make the most of what they have!! if they are carrying a knife and a shovel in the graphics why dont you let them use it!! Think of it like this, your a rifleman your gun gets shot outof your hands (happens all too much in RO) what are you going to do throw two nades at the first enemy you see hoping it will kill them so you can take their weapon? or what if you have no nades? in real life (as this game is all about realism) you would atleast give them a punch with your fists :) ,the shovel would just help you out :p , and if your rifle is shot out of your hands its not exactly like your bayonet is attached to it on a string is it?

Worth some though from the developers i think!! :) .

Upvote 0
If this was to be implemented, I would only like to see it conditionally.

Meaning you cant just take your shovel or knife out, you have to have your weapon shot out of your hands, and only when you dont have a rifle or pistol are you allowed pull out a knife or a shovel.

But as soon as you pick up a weapon again, you lose the ability to use your knife or shovel.

If you have your rifle in your hands, you already have a weapon that can be used as a spear or a bat, so it would be idiotic to spend the time getting your shovel out, or unsheathing your knife.

Also, if this were to be implemented, I would like a delay between weapon switches, so no ones pulling theyre E-tool out lighting fast.

Upvote 0
Meaning you cant just take your shovel or knife out, you have to have your weapon shot out of your hands, and only when you dont have a rifle or pistol are you allowed pull out a knife or a shovel.

But as soon as you pick up a weapon again, you lose the ability to use your knife or shovel.

disagree
i would take the shovel over that ****ty bayonet for cqc
and when i know within the next 10 secs or so a horde of russians storms my trench and has its self ready for cqc i will take out my shovel to have a chance to survive even when i have my rifle with me

Upvote 0
As this game is about realism :) - then they should be able to use it when they choose, however you will obviously get the bunch of clowns that thinks its funny just to run around batting anyone they see, Sgt.Rocks's idea is quite good but i dont know, there should be a slight time delay but a realistic one its not gonna take nomore than 5 secs really to undo a clip and pull either the shovel or the knife out. if you have it available you should be able to use it in my opinion, so get the shovel to work and maybe the knife too!! :). Although when introduced (if ever :) ) there should be no sight like features, meaning you wont really be able to aim at who ever your bashing, a bit like when you turn a corner your weapon moves freely there no point of aim that should be what its like which the shovel/knife :) .

Upvote 0
If this was to be implemented, I would only like to see it conditionally.

If you have your rifle in your hands, you already have a weapon that can be used as a spear or a bat, so it would be idiotic to spend the time getting your shovel out, or unsheathing your knife.

Also, if this were to be implemented, I would like a delay between weapon switches, so no ones pulling theyre E-tool out lighting fast.

I agree with this condition, the use of a shovel or knife would be only if you had no other means of attacking your enemy.

Upvote 0
What would be different with a shovel compared to bayo?

well lets see
you parade knife or "bayonet" can get stuck or break , it might not kill your enemy with one hit

on the other hand you have the shovel
does not break so easly,can not get stucked so easly and kills an enemy with one hit at his neck

try to kill a guy with your rifle butt and count the hits you would need to do it, in real life of course ;)

Upvote 0
A weapon, you can use, after loosing the gun, is needed.

No normal man or woman would un-latch a spade or get a knife out of their pocket and attack someone with a loaded gun after being shot in the hand.
If you require proof of this; get a gun and try shooting the hands of people with knifes or spades. I gaurentee none of them will try to attack you.

Upvote 0
lol i'd take my bayonet over my shovel any time. the bayonet reaches much further due to the length of your rifle. though, if the enemy gets to close to use your bayonet you might want to throw your rifle away and go for the shovel.
so only make the shovel available when you dont have your rifle, to prevent 1337 **** from happening.
imagine someone stabbing at you, you get to close to him to use his bayonet then he throws his rifle away, picks his shovel and starts hacking in to you, then he'd pick up his rifle again and ammo ( wich is stupid, the ammo part XD it should just stay on but its not possible so ive heard ) and continues on his way

Upvote 0
No normal man or woman would un-latch a spade or get a knife out of their pocket and attack someone with a loaded gun after being shot in the hand.
If you require proof of this; get a gun and try shooting the hands of people with knifes or spades. I gaurentee none of them will try to attack you.

well, i always thought, that what we have in game, is reflecting a hit in your GUN, then in your hand ... as cause you already stated, a person, that is shot in his hand, will not realy get in a close combat fight with you, but how its now, we can run over the field, pick up a gun, and fire back, as woud never have been shot. So, from that point, that "weapon-loosing" feature, if you want to say it that way, makes from no way, sense :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I definitely would like to have something, anything to use as a weapon after having my rifle shot out of my hand. I have to admit I hate running around with a grenade in my hand and realizing that the only way i'm not going to die alone is to pull the pin and pull a crazy Ivan. Surrender isn't an option after all, either morally or mechanically so it comes down to killing the other bloke somehow and honestly i'd rather do it in a way that wouldn't assure my own death in fiery rain of shrapnel.

Some rifles have bayos that look much like they could be used as knives (SVT-40, Kar) so maybe if you haven't attached it, you could still use it. The other alternative, i'm sorry to say is indeed the trench shovel or even your hands. Hell if you can incapacitate someone with a pistol whip, putting a fist in someone's face isn't too far from imagination. I think the trench shovel would be something, that if respectfully modeled (no speed swinging madmen like in DOD:S) would be a welcomed addition to the game.

Upvote 0
The more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea due to the current restrictions of RO.

Forgett about the knifes, they waren't used as weapons, they were tools.

Shovels were used as a desperate weapon in trenches but only because rifles were too cumbersome. RO doesn't culculate the length of weapon so shovels would be no better choice. Additionally the melee system is still weird so the devs should first fix the system for bayos/rifle butts first.

The thing with "I don't want to be unarmed when weapon is shoot out of hand" is silly. No real soldier would take his shovel out and run to the enemy like crazy. In best case he would look for another weapon.

Upvote 0