• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shotguns

I actually think they would kick butt if they were simulated realistically. Alas, they weren't actually used due to the Geneva ban and the emphasis on automatic weapons.

The Germans said they would execute US soldiers found with a shotgun or shotgun ammunition in WWI
They never actually did though.

They also complained to the US that shotguns violate the Geneva Convention. This claim was found to be false by the US (but not by the British. Don't know the Russian stance).

Edit: The geneva convention DOES have a ban on shot guns in warfare. They are still used by the army in peacekeeping. (The use of shotguns was yet another US war crime of vietnam).
Shotguns are also currently being used in Afganistan and Iraq, but they are "Terrorist Containment Actions" and not "wars"

Edit2:
Shotguns can be used in warfare as long as they use slugs and not shot-pellets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, the Geneva convention I believe banned shotguns in combat, but I don't think the rule affected the PTO so they used them there, and in camps.

so are anti-infantry mines since they are made to mutilate instead of kill, but doesnt mean they arent being used by the millions in warzones.
the only mine still allowed i think are anti-tank mines, since if a person steps on it you'll have a hard time finding anything of him back again, thus more humane or something:confused:
AI-mines were nice to take down the enemies morale though:p

Upvote 0
The info about shotguns used during WW2 is sooooo easy to find that this whole suggestion about implementing them into RO is kinda rediculous to say the least (Unless the OP is talking about a double-barreled shotgun, which could be found almost anywhere in rural area's...).
So no thanks, no shotguns for RO pretty please with sugar on top.

More than 80,000 Model 12 shotguns were purchased during World War II by the United States Marines, Army Air Force, and Navy, mostly for use in the Pacific theater. Riot gun versions of the Model 12, lacking the heat shield and bayonet, were purchased by the US Army for use in protecting Army bases and in protecting Army Air Force aircraft against saboteurs when parked during World War II. The Navy similarly purchased and used the riot gun version for protecting US Navy ships and Navy personnel while in foreign ports. The US Marines used the trench gun version of the Model 12 to great success in taking Japanese-occupied islands in the Pacific during World War II. The primary difference in Model 12 shotguns between the World War II trench gun version versus the World War I trench gun version was that the original design, containing 6 rows of holes in the perforated heat shield, was reduced to only 4 rows during 1942.

I couldn't find any info about other countries using "trenchguns" in WW2

Upvote 0
so are anti-infantry mines since they are made to mutilate instead of kill

They where only banned after the war. They where not banned because they mutilate, they where banned because they are indiscriminate. They can not tell a civilian from a enemy. Weapons that target civilians are banned.

can i ask why shotguns were banned by geneva? i don't really get how they can allow napalm and not shotguns

The use of napalm is banned. The Americans used napalm, shotguns with shot pellet, white phosphorus and poisonus gas in violation of Geneva in Nam.

Upvote 0
the only mine still allowed i think are anti-tank mines, since if a person steps on it you'll have a hard time finding anything of him back again, thus more humane or something:confused:

You'd have to be a pretty hefty fellow to trigger an AT mine on foot, they often had triggers weights around the 180kg mark. And to compare, I weigh about 75kg.

Upvote 0
It's a little known fact, but the BFG (insipiration for popular weapon in the Doom series games) was actually developed at the Institute for the Development of Special-Purpose Weaponry in the USSR in 1941. The Red Army fielded entire divisions armed with nothing but the BFG, but it was not used on the German Front. These weapons were only used against the Nazi zombies on the Martian Front, which is a little known historical chapter which came to an end with the battle of Mount Olympus in summer 1943, ensuring that Martian zombies would never again have to endure the oppression of Nazi domination.

Upvote 0