• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

8mm Mauser vs concrete block!

Yeah, the M48 and M24/47 have an "intermediate" action...just short enough that you can't actually use .30-06, if I recall. It's just enough of a difference that it makes me short-stroke sometimes when handling full-length actions.

Also, the M48 bolt handle is partly bent down. If you mount a standard-eye-relief scope, you'll need to bend it down some more.

Upvote 0
Bauer said:
Keep in mind that User name's Mauser seems to have the straight bolt rather than the typical turned down bolt - which is considerably much easier to use.

I shot mine in comparison with a M91/30, and all I can say is I hated the Mosin. The bolt was awkward to handle, and not as smooth as the K98s.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the bolt of an M48 is slightly different than that of a genuine K98: compared side by side, the M48 bolt is just a little bit shorter, just short enough that the bolts aren't interchangeable.

I've got a K98k too and it is easier to use with it's bent bolt. I just don't have any recent video of it. Although I do have an older vieo where I hit the camera man in the head with the ejected brass.:D

Upvote 0
[CiA]Stiletto said:
^^^

Huh?

All the Russians did in rearsenaling captured Kar98ks was reblue them. :confused:
Wrong. They took extra screws, cleaning rods, and sight hoods, melted them down, and used them for making their own stuff. On a good number of them, they replaced the bent bolts with straight ones.

EDIT: Ohhh, I wrote Russian BENT bolt, I meant Russian straight bolt. Fixed.

Upvote 0
[CiA]Stiletto said:
I think he's saying that maybe the Russians retrofitted a Gew bolt to a Kar action.

WHY they would do that is beyond me. I'd never even heard of such things happening until just now.
Remember they picked these thing out of parts bins. The Soviets didn't care if it was a straight bolt or a curved bolt. If it fit, it was used. I've heard of plenty of K98ks with Gew 98 bolts. It's not that common, but it did happen.

I've heard of whole Model 98 Mausers being coverted to K98k. Though I think that was done by the Germans before the war.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's what I said before. If you look around you will see some up for auction that have been captured, with straight bolts. Mine was also captured, but the bolt was kept. They only took the sight hood and cleaning rod from mine. Mine also has about half a dozen waffenamps :) No one really around here to shoot with, they all hunt and have shotguns (Boring).

Upvote 0
Jung said:
Yes, that's what I said before. If you look around you will see some up for auction that have been captured, with straight bolts. Mine was also captured, but the bolt was kept. They only took the sight hood and cleaning rod from mine. Mine also has about half a dozen waffenamps :) No one really around here to shoot with, they all hunt and have shotguns (Boring).
OH! Ok, I thought you meant yours came with a straight bolt.:eek:

Yep, I wanted historical accuracy with mine as well. That's why I went with a slightly higher priced rifle. The shop had two 98ks. One was a 42 DUV, (the one I bought) and the other was a 42 BYF. I went with the DUV because the swasticas were pinged out on the BYF.

You can see me fire two rounds out of my 98k in this video. It's the one where I hit the cameraman in the head when I cycled the bolt. :D

http://media.putfile.com/WWII-Weapons

Upvote 0
Bauer said:
Keep in mind that User name's Mauser seems to have the straight bolt rather than the typical turned down bolt - which is considerably much easier to use.

I shot mine in comparison with a M91/30, and all I can say is I hated the Mosin. The bolt was awkward to handle, and not as smooth as the K98s.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the bolt of an M48 is slightly different than that of a genuine K98: compared side by side, the M48 bolt is just a little bit shorter, just short enough that the bolts aren't interchangeable.

I had trouble with the Mosin bolt at first. I played with my form until I got it right, now I can cycle the thing pretty fast (though I don't want to see how fast I can and get yelled at for "rapid fire.")

It also helps to clean it REALLY WELL. Mine was extra stiff at first, then I gave it a really good cleaning and got all the cosmo out. After cleaning, I reassemble it and spray it down it Rem Oil, paying close attention to the "ramps" at the back that re-cock the striker. That's one of the most important areas to get a Mosin bolt working smooth IMO. That, and making sure the chamber (and ammo) is clean.

Soup's right: find a gun forum for your area, meet up with shooters (I actually didn't have any trouble at the range I go to: people are really nice there) and maybe you'll convince some young shooter and his dad that they MUST get a .22 by simply handing them a rifle and a couple boxes of ammo.

Upvote 0
{YBBS}Sage said:
Soup's right: find a gun forum for your area, meet up with shooters (I actually didn't have any trouble at the range I go to: people are really nice there) and maybe you'll convince some young shooter and his dad that they MUST get a .22 by simply handing them a rifle and a couple boxes of ammo.

Yeah, my dad wants to buy a Marlin right now, even though hes used to firing my SKS, now he wants to buy a pistol. I've been pushing him towards a Taurus PT92...because I want one and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it off of him once I'm 18. I think hes been trying to hide his desire for more firearms in the house from the misses but 10 days after our next range trip we'll happen to find that someone stowed away a .22 rifle and a pistol in the trunk. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I saw a Marlin 795 for about $140 at Big 5 the other day. Same action as the 60, just loads from a box magazine, so it'll put some wear on your thumbs (when you load the mag.) Plus side: Get about ten mags and preload them. :D

Just thought you'd like to know.

Don't forget revolvers in your search (I'm fairly new to semi-auto pistols). Taurus makes some nice ones.

I liked shooting a 1911, but my wife says it was a bit big in her hand.. when she described the fit, I told her it's a perfect fit (finger TIP on trigger.)

Those Five-seveNs were fun, but probably quite expensive (same with the ammo.)

Upvote 0