• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring Back He Nades For Commander!

Vader

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2006
Its totally retarded that you took away the hand grenades for the commander! (even though soviet cmdr. on kauk has HE nades) Bring the grenades back to the commanders now or at least let them choose between two smokes or grenades one. Yes I know you can pick up other HE nades, but about 20 to 30 percent of the time I die doing it the first time and it just makes me madder at the devs for not letting us at least choose what type of grenades we want.

Oh please I don't even think smoke is useful, I have only seen it used right like two times and even then all I had to do was chunk nades in it and round up 4 kills. And its not like I play in crap pubs, the only time I have seen the smoke grenades even affective was in a clan match, but even then I got to rush in it with my smg and kill the rifleman hiding in it :) If you allow the commander to choose from like three to four weapons, then the least you could do is let him choose his nades or give him both.

Upvote 0
Vader said:
Oh please I don't even think smoke is useful, I have only seen it used right like two times and even then all I had to do was chunk nades in it and round up 4 kills.
I've seen smoke used well many times, often by my own hand. When used well it has a massive effect on the game. It is a huge help for covering smg'ers moving up, and can totally stop a sniper in his tracks. On some maps (basovka) the smoke is such a huge help one side can struggle without it.

Earlier today on basovka the first round we stormed to victory with smokes laying the way for an attack. The second round... the squad leader went afk. Without smokes we struggled for most of the round unable to capture the AT trench. And how did we eventually cap it? I shot the smoke nades out of the hand of the AFK squad leader and used them for an assault (go go spawn protection!, can't TK but you can still disarm people).

Upvote 0
Agreed Khaine, I've seen smoke used strategically and effectively as well. Like any other weapon in Ostfront it takes practice to place them correctly and learn to implement them the proper way. Examples: it's a good way to keep the MGer from anhilating your troops in a forward rush or to keep a sniper at bay.
Would be nice to have an option but absolutely no biggy. If I want grenades I just pick some other class.

Upvote 0
Personally I'd say keep with the way things are currently - the job of the squad leader is to lead the team and to help it complete it's objectives, not to just be another SMG on the firing line.

From experience I'd say a decent squad leader is crucial on maps like Odessa, Basovka and Krasnyi where they can help lock down enemy MG/sniper positions and generally keep the defenders from defending properly.

As a compromise I would suggest leaving it to the mapper decide whether or not a commander should be equipped with smokes or regular grenades as with other weapons (i.e. it may not be appropriate for the map to have smokes flying around the place).

Upvote 0
Atomic said:
Personally I'd say keep with the way things are currently - the job of the squad leader is to lead the team and to help it complete it's objectives, not to just be another SMG on the firing line.

From experience I'd say a decent squad leader is crucial on maps like Odessa, Basovka and Krasnyi where they can help lock down enemy MG/sniper positions and generally keep the defenders from defending properly.

As a compromise I would suggest leaving it to the mapper decide whether or not a commander should be equipped with smokes or regular grenades as with other weapons (i.e. it may not be appropriate for the map to have smokes flying around the place).

I agree.

Upvote 0