• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Machine guns

turbografx16

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006
Netherlands
Please before I get grilled I'd just like to say: I know this has been discussed TO DEATH numerous times but...

I'd really like a comment from someone "in the know" on whether or not the devs plan to "fix" the MGs.

The Mg-34 and Mg-42 performance is just unbelievable.

Just a few days ago I introduced one of my friends from the Dutch landmacht to RO for the free weekend tryout. I hyped him all up with my praise of the game and its foundation in realism. He really seemed to enjoy alot of the game. Then he switched to the MGunner class and started to laugh his ass off. He basically told me every thing thats already been said on the forums about recoil, accuracy, assault stance effectiveness etc.

It was just really crushing and disheartening. It reminded me that the system is, in fact, flawed.

So, is there a fix planned? Or will they stay as they are for "gameplay" and "balance" reasons.

Gotta remember that a LOT in game is really just a carry-over from the mod, where they could only fine-tune things so much. Now that they have full access to the code, it can only go up. MGs have always been a bit odd in RO largely due to the fact that it had to be modeled to fit the same behaviours as every other weapon in the game, which all had to be tweaked to fit within the available allowances for a carried weapon in Unreal Tournament. They (TWI) had to ship SOMETHING though, or we wouldn't have any RO at all. I'll take the waiting over no ROOST any day :)

Upvote 0
I agree.

The MG34 and MG42 control and accuracy is just crap. While the DP27 has easily controlled recoil and far better accuracy. Once again the Germans get shafted. The MG42 should atleast be able to fire in the assualt stance. There is no logical reason for why you aren't able to. If it was for balance it actually makes it unbalanced.

The assault stance is just ridiculous, you have no control over where the MG goes when firing. It was fine in the mod and it didn't need to be changed.

Upvote 0
This is why I don't take MG's anymore, as I'm getting disgusted with them after "German MG nerfing down" with Ostfront. Russian DP is really better than it was before, while German MG's got reduction in accuracy and more recoil.

This is not balancing, this is killing one side's MG power.

Upvote 0
I love the dp sure its got lower rpm but i can hit people consistently with it at under 100 metres but the german mg its usefull in some situations but alot of the time its a liability since you miss much more. Now i dont have a clue about the rl recoil on these guns but all i know is that in this game if a german mg 32 or 42 is lying next to a russian dp i'll take the dp every time if they were trying to balance all they've done is make the dp deadlier then the german one:confused:.
Now i dunno about you but i think there is seriously something wrong when im taking the russian dp over historically the most deadly mg of the war.

Upvote 0
Its should be simple to fix:

1) No upwards recoil
2) Less conefire (or what it is that makes the bullets spread like ****)
3) Tracers on the MG-34 single shots
4) Able to duck behind the MG while you reload (instead of realoading heads up!)
- Mousewheel to duck behind the MG, then "R" to reload.
- If you press R wihtout ducking you reload headsup position (abit faster reload cause you can see better)
5) Able to shoot head up without IS (use mouse wheel), And IS button to go IS.
6) INcreased suppression Blur/fade when fired upon by the MG.
7) MG class should bleed stamina faster than Normal inf (when running)

As it is now, you waste too much ammo on inaccurate rounds, which force you to reload alot more often then IRL. AND those shots does not induce no suppression effects on the enemy, allowing him to shot at you even if you unload at him at 1200 rpm!!!
NObody would peak their head up to shot face to face on a fireing MG unless insane.
This is again cause you to waste alot of rounds into the air, with little effect (compared to RL)

I love playing the MG. And its alot better in most games I've played.
But I think its the class that need the most attention right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mogget said:
They are? I thought this was about both 34 and 42. If not... Meh I'm confused.

You can fire Hip shots with the 34 but not the 42.
You should be able to fire hipshots with the 42 ..
But I can understand why the removed this, as it would suddently turn to be an assault weapon.
But instead of decreasing the MG's recoil on hip shots that much, I would rather limit the classes's movement by penalty on the stamina when running.

The Mg-42 weighting about 12+ kg's (?) with additional ammo, would encumber you quite alot. Running around assaulting with it would simply bleed your stamina so fast that you'd be fatiqued before you know it.

Secondly when shooting hip shots it should bleed stamina as well (like in DOD)...
Not THAT much, but enough that running around assaulting with it should be not very rewarding. But still, in self defence you should be able to fire it from the hip.

Talkin about the MG's weight, it should be hard to turn quickly with it.
Now, you can turn 360 deg in a fraction of a second...
Try that with a MG IRL haha...
Suggestion: limit the mouse sensitivity on the MG while running
to simulate heavy weapon handling. Or some kinda a movement delay.
So when you stop the movement on the mouse, the gun continues to move abit.

In fact simmulating weapon handling on all wapons would be really NICE.
Waving a Mp40 should be alot easier and more accurate than a long Rifle...
Or not to speak about the PTRD!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sichartshofen said:
I agree.

The MG34 and MG42 control and accuracy is just crap. While the DP27 has easily controlled recoil and far better accuracy. Once again the Germans get shafted. The MG42 should atleast be able to fire in the assualt stance. There is no logical reason for why you aren't able to. If it was for balance it actually makes it unbalanced.

The assault stance is just ridiculous, you have no control over where the MG goes when firing. It was fine in the mod and it didn't need to be changed.
Agreed, but then the recoil and handling should be equal to real-life: USELESS.

Unless, you target is less than 8 meters away or so... :D

Upvote 0
There is so many thing that can be made to impove MGs in RO but the question is if TW is planing to add any new features to MG class ? Anyone ? I like to be a MGunner but it is realy discouraging when a rifleman in which direction im unloading 20 bullets per second sends me down with one well aimed shot. Bigger supresion blur is a must in my opinion. There is also lots of different things that can be add and fixed but they all were listed in numerous threads about MG.

Upvote 0