• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Plz, Get a tutorial TW.

Honestly, that first 30 minutes anyone plays online, they think this game is crap. You need a tutorial other than a secret online via Steam one. Most people don't even know how to hoist up the ironsights and for the most part they think it's a lousy game when they have no idea what to do and the guy before them who has no idea just knows how to shot player A in the back whos on their team. I can't tell you how much more successful this game would have been this weekend, not that it wasn't already sucessful during this weekend, it just would have done much better.

If someone can't work out how to press escape and look in options to find out the key controls, then the communities probably better off without them anyway. I don't mind answering questions regarding controls, but it should only be for the more obscure commands IMO. Same goes for working out that a Shutze is a rifleman. I mean if someone can't be arsed reading the description even once then i'd rather they played something else personally.

Might be an idea to get the training videos accessable from inside the game though because there is some useful info in there that you wouldn't work out from looking in options.

Upvote 0
Don't people ever, ever go into their configuration anymore to set up their audio, video, or CONTROLS anymore? Are there really that many people that just install and jump into the game without being even the slightest curious about any of their settings? I won't even start playing a new game until I have spent 5 to 15 minutes configuring all my settings and controls.

Even in game (and other games as well), hitting ESC will bring up a choice for configuration where you can look at game controls and figure out the keys.

I also don't mind answering questions. If it helps get an extra person to buy the game so we have more players, great! But at some point, they do have to take matters into their own hands. You would think that most gamers these days would be aware of looking at the Configuration and even changing it to suit their style. :)

Upvote 0
Well Tripwire could go out on a limb here but seriously, how many other games spoon feed people to the extent you're asking here - basically it's what's been pointed out - look through the control options set up what you're already familiar with and customize the other stuff accordingly - if your savvy with First Person Shooters all this is basic stuff - people who are even remotely interested in FPS should have a good handle on all of this anyway - the current tutorials are pretty neat as they are I think - 'basic' stuff - the rest you will pick up as time and hours put into the game move on - don't over-do it

Lruce

Upvote 0
Boogerhead said:
Devs,
I think it'd be great if the installer made a shortcut, on the Desktop, to the Manuals folder. I think that could solve a lot of problems.
People are lazy. Especially gamers. Most people, as unfortunate as it is, won't bother to read the documents. Sad but true. An in-game mandatory training level is by far the best way to get people into the game.

AA has training for the specific classes (medic, sniper etc) and a lot of people actually do their job. It would be nice if people have to qualify for the "special" classes in RO such as sniper, commander, MG gunner etc.

So you get like a basic, mandatory training level first. Once you finish that, you can go online, but you can only choose Schutze or Strelok (I refuse to swear and say "rifleman" ;) ).

If you want to play SMG, MG, Commander or Sniper, you'll have to fulfill other training levels. Without having to do tests (medic in AA) of course.

These training levels, especially the special classes, shouldn't be too easy! After all, the game itself isn't easy either!

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
People are lazy. Especially gamers. Most people, as unfortunate as it is, won't bother to read the documents. Sad but true. An in-game mandatory training level is by far the best way to get people into the game.

Yeah, but I didn't even know the game came with manuals until last week, and I've been playing since release. I knew there were manuals downloadable from the Web site, but I didn't know they were even installed.

Then I had to try to tell my dad how to even _find_ 'em:
C:\progra~1\valve\steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\Manual

Ain't exactly friendly to the new guys.

A shortcut at least could give people the option.

Upvote 0