• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions for vets

Marach

Aug 1, 2006
hi, I'm one of many newbies playing this game via Steam trial ;). I've accidentally heard of RO, read like dozens of reviews and got hooked just by reading about it. I play lots of CS and some AA before, but have also coveted for some ww2 realistic combat fps game. and seems I might have found one.

I still have some concerns which, I hope, veterans here can shed some light upon. so here they are:

1) what's the situation with cheaters in RO. I'm really sick of it in CS. so I wonder how often you come across cheaters here?

2) teamplay question - is there really enough teamplay involved among players? because I didn't notice it so far in few days of playing. ya, I know many new people like me flooded RO servers so the gameplay as a hole must be on a much lower level that you are used to. and probably one can't see much teamplay while this free period is lasting. that's why I ask you guys. because the teamplay is very important to me.

3) the game doesn't seem as hard as I thought it'd be and as some claim. but I did try to learn as much about the game as I could on the other hand - I read the game pdf manuals, things on forum here and played solo practice before I plunged into the internet multiplayer. so maybe that's the reason, but I wanted to ask anyway about steep learning curve I've read so much about. am I missing something? I don't have many problems with shooting someone, I didn't much notice the need to account for bullet drop over distance (or maybe I wasn't in situation to shoot at such long distance?), tanks are so easy to drive and operate, and so on.

4) I've read that such a realistic gameplay is a filter by itself on the community. allegedly, most people in RO are mature and polite people. which is a huge plus as one can quickly get tired of kids and immature people in other games. as I already said, I belive this is not something I can really judge myself in this free period, so thought to ask about it too.

tnx

first there are nearly NO cheaters
ive never seen any neither ive heard about any cheaters in ro

second about teamplay
because the free week is running atm the servers are full of 'noobs' thus there isnt much teamplay

the thing about a steep learning courve is easy to answer
its verry steep for 1337 leethaxing cs kids wich scream around for theyr crosshairs
but for players who played AA, OFP, or other games its a pretty easy to master game

the RO comm is indeed verry mature wich gets a - again because of the free week

normally there isnt any swearing moanign or *****ing on any server i know :)

Upvote 0
  1. VAC2 has sorted cheating out for now. You'll see people using older cheats who aren't aware of the delayed ban system in CS, and who then get caught, but there isn't anything like that in RO.
  2. There is generally far more teamplay. Usually it's 'only' better than other games, but every so often you'll be on a pub server where things really, really, work. And that is awesome.
  3. It's a thinking game really, so you aren't going to get that much challenge while the free week is on. The basic mechanics are relatively easy to master - but you wait until you're in a server with two teams who know what they're doing. ;)
  4. That is entirely correct.

Upvote 0
1. I've never seen a single cheater in Ostfront, I saw..... 2 in all my time playing the mod (from Dec of '03 until Ostfront's release). There are a few lamers tho, but even they are rare

2. The new players make teamwork much more difficult to organize, and even outside the free trial it's not automatic, just quite a bit easier to do, if they're willing, and the communication is flowing.

3. The learning curve is really getting used to a few key gameplay changes from other FPS's, namely, the lack of accurate non-aimed shooting and the primacy of aimed shots, slower movement speed, getting killed in 1 shot, etc. Since you actually did some research, and practiced before going online, you more or less handled that curve.

4. Most people are mature here, there's always a few exceptions. If anything there's a bit of a "go back to CS/DoD/othergame" reaction to people who don't bother to speak in sentences and haven't figured out what the capslock is, or make suggestions to change the game drastically in a direction most people don't want.

Upvote 0
Not a vet as such to RO but been playing FPS for as long as I can remember.

Cheaters can't say I've come accros any.

Teamplay is a little weak at the moment due to "new players", the key to that is "communication", use the in game voip, once someone starts to use it others will also and teamplay usually increases ten fold, i think maybe a lot of people are a little shy at first, start by calling out where you and the enemy are, and what you and the enemy are doing, people do tend to respond to that.

As for game difficulty, some will find it hard some wont, you did the right thing by reading and practising first.

Upvote 0
About Teamwork:

There's really nothing about RO that makes it much different from the other FPS's out there (that I have seen) that makes it more "teamwork" oriented than others.

But I think since the game is a bit more hard-core realistic than the other games, it draws a community that is more willing to use teamwork.

I can't stress this enough. Use VOIP! If you don't have a mic... get one. If you're too shy, get over it. VOIP is THE most valuable tool in the game to get your team coordinated an into the cap zone alive.

As for the learning curve, I don't think learning curves apply if you read the manuals and then practice offline... :) Most players really don't have the patience for that.

Upvote 0
Marach said:
1) what's the situation with cheaters in RO. I'm really sick of it in CS. so I wonder how often you come across cheaters here?

I have never encountered a hacker in RO:O, and the RO-team takes it very, VERY serious, if you ever do spot one, just tell them and i can promis you they will emediately pounce on it and do all they can to stop the cheat.

Marach said:
2) teamplay question - is there really enough teamplay involved among players? because I didn't notice it so far in few days of playing. ya, I know many new people like me flooded RO servers so the gameplay as a hole must be on a much lower level that you are used to. and probably one can't see much teamplay while this free period is lasting. that's why I ask you guys. because the teamplay is very important to me.

I see more teamplay in RO than any other game i've played, but that said, its not automatic on all servers, but with the VOIP system, you can allways start it yourself, give your team usefull hints and most will listen and follow.

Marach said:
3) the game doesn't seem as hard as I thought it'd be and as some claim. but I did try to learn as much about the game as I could on the other hand - I read the game pdf manuals, things on forum here and played solo practice before I plunged into the internet multiplayer. so maybe that's the reason, but I wanted to ask anyway about steep learning curve I've read so much about. am I missing something? I don't have many problems with shooting someone, I didn't much notice the need to account for bullet drop over distance (or maybe I wasn't in situation to shoot at such long distance?), tanks are so easy to drive and operate, and so on.

For many it is a steep learning curve just adjusting to the more realism of RO, but thats far from all, get on a server with vets and you will soon notice the depth of gameplay going on, tactics, using your brain is the only way to stay alive in a good RO match, you cant survive on "shooting skillz" alone.

Marach said:
4) I've read that such a realistic gameplay is a filter by itself on the community. allegedly, most people in RO are mature and polite people. which is a huge plus as one can quickly get tired of kids and immature people in other games. as I already said, I belive this is not something I can really judge myself in this free period, so thought to ask about it too.

The RO community on the whole is very freindly and mature, just look at this thread, its a good indication of how things go around here, people could have called you a "stupid n00b" or said "RTFM n00b", but they dont, they want to help.

Theres allways bad eggs, ofcourse, we have a few, but the majority of the community is a great bunch :)

Upvote 0
1. I don't think RO is any more or less difficult to cheat in than most other games out there. If you're persistant enough and a skilled enough haXX0r, you can find a way to cheat. But I doubt you'll see many RO players that are actually interested in cheating. I just don't think RO is a game that will appeal much to the kind of gamer who is willing to turn to cheats to rub his own e-penis.

2. Teamplay, at least on public servers, is a hit and miss thing. It depends on who's on the server at the moment. And with the free week going on, I'm guessing there's a lot of new players out there who need to take their time learning the basics of the game before they can start working on the finesse. But as with all other team-based games, if you really want close cooperation and teamwork on a regular basis, join a clan ;)

Marach said:
3) the game doesn't seem as hard as I thought it'd be and as some claim. but I did try to learn as much about the game as I could on the other hand - I read the game pdf manuals, things on forum here and played solo practice before I plunged into the internet multiplayer.
I think you answered your own question ;)

The game isn't particularly difficult, but it deviates a lot from the norm for first person shooters. It's not a game you can instantly jump into and know exactly how things work. So reading the manual is a very good place to start :) I had pretty much the same experience you had when I started out.

4) RO has its share of "smacktards", but in my experience they are fewer and farther between than in many other game communities. And I think the reason is simply that RO has a style of gameplay that simply appeals to a different type of personality. Why do your best to be 1337 and kill the most amount of enemies, when you're surpassed on the scoreboard by the guy who has three kills, but spent his round capping objectives and keeping the mg-gunners supplied?

Upvote 0
Dokteur Kill said:
Why do your best to be 1337 and kill the most amount of enemies, when you're surpassed on the scoreboard by the guy who has three kills, but spent his round capping objectives and keeping the mg-gunners supplied?

And that is another way of having a good game with teamplayers, forget personal scores, if you want to win don't look at the scoreboard do what you have to do to win the round for/and with your team as a team member, it's no use being at the top of a scoreboard on the losing team, you lost and thats it.

I'd rather be at the bottom of a winning team knowing i contributed maybe in a small way to winning the round, Two or three well aimed shots from your rifle in SUPPORT of your on rushing smg'ers can mean the difference to winning or losing the round, they might be your only kills but the satisfaction you'll get from those couple of kills is immense.

Upvote 0
Marach said:

2. Before the trial, I was beginning to see Teamwork, but then the 5000 newbies(not noobs) hit the servers and I could kiss the teamwork good bye.

3. That is just bull****. This game has no steep learning curve and it's just a bunch of crap. If you have played like 2hours of Americas army, read the short keyquide and checked the options, and even tried the practice, you do not have absolutely no problems with this game. This is not a hard game, everyone, repeat after me and stop bull****ting people, and trying to make you an elite guy. "Oh look at me, I play game with very steep learning curve." Just stop that, easy game. You have not missed a thing, you have been just bull****ted. Sorry about the ***s but I'm beginning to feel angry because of this.
And remember, you don't always have to compare. I mean that since ET is easy, it doesn't make this game hard. OFP is quite hard, not this. Just stop it okay. (this part is mostly to the Veterans of this game!)

4. Yes, very mature players. I've seen 13 years old kids in this game who are more mature than 26 years old players in some arcadeshooters like ET and CoD. It really seems that some of the kids are afraid of telling their real age cuz the average is somewhere between 20-30 years.

Upvote 0
Marach said:
Nah..any monkey can pull a trigger or hit a gas peddle. That's not the learning curve needed in this game. It's how you execute each map that takes a while. It's also learning when and how to move. I know it's been frustrating lately with all the new players because certain maps require certainl level of teamwork to even make them enjoyable and it hasn't been happening. Stick with it, you'll see what I mean.

There are a few skills that take a little more learning. Bullet drop, long range panzerfaust shots, hitting a moving tank at long range, learning the weak points on enemy tanks while learning where your strong point is, tossing grenades in small windows, leading your target with the sniper rifle, shooting from the hip effectively.

Upvote 0
perato said:
3. That is just bull****. This game has no steep learning curve and it's just a bunch of crap. If you have played like 2hours of Americas army, read the short keyquide and checked the options, and even tried the practice, you do not have absolutely no problems with this game. This is not a hard game, everyone, repeat after me and stop bull****ting people, and trying to make you an elite guy. "Oh look at me, I play game with very steep learning curve." Just stop that, easy game. You have not missed a thing, you have been just bull****ted. Sorry about the ***s but I'm beginning to feel angry because of this.
And remember, you don't always have to compare. I mean that since ET is easy, it doesn't make this game hard. OFP is quite hard, not this. Just stop it okay. (this part is mostly to the Veterans of this game!)

How hard something is can only ever be a relative term. For MANY people RO will be hard. Thats a fact. How hard something is can only be in COMPARISON to something else. For example, degree level maths is hard. A-Level maths to someone that does degree level maths is probably easy. Some people though struggle with High school level maths. There's nothing wrong pointing out to people that in COMPARISON to other games such as COD or BF2 they may find RO hard, because for example, there will be people trying out RO who would usually never use a bolt action rifle in a game because they find it too hard, but they will HAVE to get good with them to be able to have fun with RO because quite often they won't have a choice. There are other things that make the learning curve steepER than games like COD/BF2 such as using cover, being careful with shots, recognising who the enemies are, not having a zoom effect, needing to use iron sights etc.

Bottom line though is that for YOU the game may be easy, but I think for a lot it won't be so there's nothing wrong in pointing that out.

Upvote 0
Marach,

Firstly, welcome to RO. If you are at all a gamer who is interested in something that requires a little more use of your brain, I'm sure you will enjoy RO. I have logged enough hours to form the opinion that RO is different and that it caters to the crowd who are looking for a tactical gaming experience, and not just racking up kills.

1) I have never come across a cheat or hack. As others have mentioned, I just don't think RO draws that kind of crowd in the first place. A gamer might like to think that the guy who has killed him 5 times in a row is cheating, but in reality, he is simply using sound tactics, patience, and skill. It's what makes RO stand out.

2) Team play. The secret here is to get into a server with some gamers who communicate effectively. That is the key, "Effective" communications. It can be difficult to assemble a team who are on board with this concept, but once you find one, RO REALLY comes alive, truely an emmersive experience. RO Clans typically have their own communications channels using providers such as Ventrilo or TeamSpeak. If you see players with clan tags on their names, and they appear to be doing well, it's because they are communicating well. Having said that, I have also found good communications with pub players, but sometimes you have to step up and take the lead role to get things rolling.

3) The game is not hard. It's the same old, move forward, back, side, side, shoot, duck etc, stuff that you find on any FPS. What MAY be different (and thus some people find "different" things "hard"), is the STYLE in which you have to play in order to survive. The players that are calling RO "hard" are the ones that I think find it difficult to muster up the patience to play in a tactically "realistic" manner. Is RO "hard", no way. I found it easier because you can ask yourself, "If this was a real situation, what would I do."

4) Exactly, RO appeals to a different type of gamer than your average FPSer. If the immature children find RO "Too hard" and move on.....great.

Paul Giester

Upvote 0
melipone said:
How hard something is can only ever be a relative term. For MANY people RO will be hard. Thats a fact. How hard something is can only be in COMPARISON to something else. For example, degree level maths is hard. A-Level maths to someone that does degree level maths is probably easy. Some people though struggle with High school level maths. There's nothing wrong pointing out to people that in COMPARISON to other games such as COD or BF2 they may find RO hard, because for example, there will be people trying out RO who would usually never use a bolt action rifle in a game because they find it too hard, but they will HAVE to get good with them to be able to have fun with RO because quite often they won't have a choice. There are other things that make the learning curve steepER than games like COD/BF2 such as using cover, being careful with shots, recognising who the enemies are, not having a zoom effect, needing to use iron sights etc.
Bottom line though is that for YOU the game may be easy, but I think for a lot it won't be so there's nothing wrong in pointing that out.

Yes, well is the ant a fast animal. No, but when you compare it to snail, yes it is. So making comparasion to games which do not have a learning curve, is quite stupid. It takes time, ofcourse, but if you are willing to use time before the game, it doesn't have steep learning curve.(and I don't mean that you have to read all posts from this forum). Maybe it is hard for those who comes pystymets

Upvote 0