• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lets look at the positive things here..

Grobut

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
I know theres been plenty of annoying moments since the free week started, with n00bs complaining high and wide, but trust me, this is a blessing in disguise for our community.

RO is not for everyone, we all know this, and weeding out thouse people who would not like RO is a good thing, whilst we'll be gaining alot of new players who like RO for what it is, who might otherwise not have given RO a chance for various reasons.

So by the end of the week, we'll have a bigger community who all love RO for what it is, its a win/win situation, so stay positive, eh?

What??
We got ..Signed
We got Stamped

But we don't got..
Sealed and Delivered :cool: :p

Let's not forget the fact that these new players aren't new to vidoe gaming , just RO, so basic habbits developed in other game (such as CS,DoD etc.) are going to be carried into RO.

But TBH I have only run into about 5 REALLY annoying twits that were persistent TKr's despite warnings and considering the fact that our 32 and 20 slot server's are fairly packed most of the time I'd say that's a damn low percentage.

From what I've been hearing for the most part is that the game play is "awsesome" and they'll be buying the game.

I've always felt that RO:O was one of those games with staying power and appeal that would continue to grow over time.

Upvote 0
I sat on our RO server all day yesterday helping the newcomers and playing the odd match. There was very little complaining and a whole lot of "wows!", I've been seeing many repeat new players in the 2 days the server has been up.

The more you play RO the more it grows on you until eventually you get hooked ;)

Great job TW .. hopefully we get a good influx of mature FPS players looking for something other than a run n' gun fragfest. I am quite amazed at how quickly those who put the effort in figure out the maps and teamplay required very quickly.

BTW, I haven't had to kick or ban a single person so far.

Upvote 0
It's a big game style change, i'll admit for a few days i gave it a bit of the wtf, dod > ro but not on chat (i couldnt find say lol)
The arty spam annoyed me a lot tho, some seemed well over the top especially on some maps, some barrages seemed no more than 5/10 seconds apart at times.
After a bit of running around i got goin a bit, it annoyed me having to try and bend down and iron sight to get a quick shot off and i couldnt quite get to grips with no crosshair.
eventually i just figured i prolly have to be first to put myself on the deck and have an aware eye all the time.
Persevered no real teamwork (guess was on wrong servers tho) but i camped and held what i could, no sense of direction for me, wouldnt mind maybe some arrow somewhere just to say flags are ere n there so i can at least head for the <n>platz etc but i spose thats just down to learning.

Its not bad certainly a bit slower and more thoughtfull well seemingly if i was on the right server i could see the way it could work i'll try again if i get chance i am sure, would've been nice to try sniper and mg but i dont get much chance on claiming them before high pingers lol

Overall i am defo considering the investment

Upvote 0
perato said:
Remember this.

Newbie = new player
Noob = an idiot who doesn't really care about the game, just here to have some fun with expence of other players fun(Like TK, spending rare sniper positions and shooting the wall).

Thanks, you are right !

Noobs will always be noobs, a newbie will become a Vet, until he becomes a Has been.
Watch out for the Wanabe's.:p

Upvote 0
I think free week is a great idea. My only suggestion to make it better is to offer a free week, but at any time the player desires. Download whenever you want (say within a 3 month period) and play for a week. This way you get to play wth a majority of veterans, because the biggest problem I've seen in servers is all the new people don't know what to do and therefore leads to less intense and less organized battles. I've said to my friend (who's trying it) several times "ah man, if we can find a server with people who know whats going on this map would be twice as intense".

Upvote 0
Thats a good idea mobilechomp. Although there would not be as much publicity with the period, giving every steam account a free period could lead to some issues. People might register new steam accounts simply to keep playing for free. However, it could easily be relieved if you limited it to those with Steam accounts who had bought the game.

Hmm, would that be possible tripwire? It would be a great tool for advertisement, and allow those who are a little afraid to ty it out and get hooked.

Upvote 0
killuminati said:
The arty spam annoyed me a lot tho, some seemed well over the top especially on some maps, some barrages seemed no more than 5/10 seconds apart at times.

The Arty is not really being spammed for 5-10 seconds apart. One call of arty will produce several waves of 3-5 arty shells(or more on some maps). Unlike how arty is depicted in Bf2. Arty in RO is more like a group of 3-5 guns firing perhaps 5 shells each.

So a guy calls in the arty,
several off map guns fire rounds, and begin to reload
The rounds hit within moments of each other,
You then hear in the distance the thumping of the arty guys firing off their second shell.
Moments later the second rounds hit.
Repeat until around 5 shells have been fired off by each gun.

I am not sure, but I think the number of off map guns and how often you can request a barrage are map independent.

Hope this helps. WHat it means is that if a barrage, just hit, and it seems quite, you better not run through that area or you will catch a rather nasty suprise.

JesterOC

p.s. Anyone who has better more detailed info on this please feel free to correct me.

Upvote 0