• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Su-76 should be thin-skinned...

it's hilarious how unrealistic the su-76 armor system is. yesterday on rakowice, i faced off against the stug and pIV-F2 at the same time (the p4 was angled). i killed them both in 2 shots each (front of stug and side of p4) while they both shot me twice to have all 4 shots bounce off my front armor that was angled at like 15 degrees. armor health indicator didn't even turn yellow. then an infantry went behind me and shot me in the back of the head from my open gun compartment

Upvote 0
I will have to throw my two cents into this discusion also. I was in a Panther. I hit a SU-76 at extremely close range (less then 30 yards) several times. It drove around to the back of my Panther and destroyed me. All the time I am putting rounds into this little beast. At the time...I thought my AP was just penetrating the thin armor but not striking anything vital.

So my next engagement with a SU-76, I had a StugIII. This time I used HE and boom...one shot one kill.

Try using HE to knock those light tanks out.

Upvote 0
Maltodextrin said:
HE rounds behave oddly sometimes. I've nailed halftracks with HE rounds from the T34/85, and they've come off damaged, instead of destroyed. I haven't tried going at larger armored vehicles with them yet.

i find that half-tracks will take 2 HE rounds but only 1 AP. not sure about BAs. they're usually too zippy for me to target

Upvote 0
DudeWheresMyTank said:
i find that half-tracks will take 2 HE rounds but only 1 AP. not sure about BAs. they're usually too zippy for me to target

With a StuG I've taken out the BAs and the T-60s with 1 HE round. The main reason I like the HE round against the BAs is I can also get the damn crew. I've learned that the really gamey BA crews will always drive to the same spot to execute their instant exit. If I time my shot well I get the vehicle and the crew :rolleyes:

The best overall load out is the IS-2 HE. I've taken out many tanks with it and get good splash damage on any soft targets.

Upvote 0
I was playing with the SU-76 yesterday and I was just thinking that. I was in it alone, yet I took out a Stug and a PzIV's, seriously damaged a Tiger I before they got me. During that, my SU-76 deflected two PzIV shots, was damaged by the Stug and only destroyed by the Tiger.

It's a great piece of equipment as it is, the loading time is very quick and its quite powerfull, also very agile... but that armor simply isn't realistic.

Though I admit I don't know how they could make it realistic and maintain its usefulness.

Upvote 0
Centar said:
I was playing with the SU-76 yesterday and I was just thinking that. I was in it alone, yet I took out a Stug and a PzIV's, seriously damaged a Tiger I before they got me. During that, my SU-76 deflected two PzIV shots, was damaged by the Stug and only destroyed by the Tiger.

It's a great piece of equipment as it is, the loading time is very quick and its quite powerfull, also very agile... but that armor simply isn't realistic.

Though I admit I don't know how they could make it realistic and maintain its usefulness.
It's fast reload time compensates for it's lack of armor. By the time he shoots again you've put two shots into him.

Upvote 0
If you think the 20mm is overpowered, try 14.5mm! Last night in a map I took out a Pz3 that was directly facing me, at long distance (a good 300m or so). First shot, might I add. And yet in the same map I shot the apc twice at close range right at the engine and it was still running without any visible damage (which can't be said for the bailed driver who took the third shot...)

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
...I couldn't belive it when some people mentioned it before, but tonight against Bots I found it to be true:

The superstructure on the Su-76 will repeatly bounce off 75mm and 88mm shells. At less than 200 meters.

No way. That's about 10mm of armor there, at most 30mm. No matter what the angle, a plate will not stop a shell three times it's diameter.

Please look into this - if the underlying calculations are the same this may also point to other problems with armor penetration.

O RLY?

Upvote 0
Yea, the whole armor system is kinda messed up. The SU-76 is just the tank that perfectly showcases the armor system's flaws.

The other thing that bugs the crap outta me is that every tank that gets damaged starts to smoke and then catastrophically explodes after that. In real life, many WWII tanks were only known to be knocked out when the crew bailed! There were no visual clues. Often, if the crew was killed and it didn't explode, the knocked out tank would get a couple more shots just to make sure.

Upvote 0
The thing about the SU was that it was used for infantry support, if the SU was used at long range it would actually be useful. But it's a piece of **** in short range because the armour is so weak. Yeah and this needs to be looked into. The armour is craZZy.

I don't get why the devs chose the SU76 other than the reason that there were 12,000 of them made. But the weird part is they are never used for their intended purpose and you never find more than 1 in an official map :confused:

I would have much rather had the SU-100 or ISU-122 they were well armoured tank destroyers. More like stugs than a paper mache tank that fires the same gun as the t34-76 --.

The ISU-152 is nice but it had a reload time of 30seconds :p and was intended for blowing up hard positions. Although it had AP Rounds it was designed for the HE Shell.

Upvote 0
people know that the armor system from tanks is ... not working by times. Itsa long known issue, and a lot of threads have been openend and all this discussed to death already.

All we can do, is hope for a patch, that fix it, and make the tanks and there guns, how they shoud be.

at least thats what im waiting for, if next patch does not fix it, you can bet to se me complaining again! :D

Upvote 0
The SU76 is the only vehicle I see that is truly broken. Test it. Start up a practice server and drive a tiger up to one and shoot it from various angles at close range. This thing always survives the frist hit and will often get non penetrations! It's crazy! 10 mm of armor can be penetrated by an MG42 at less than 100 meters!

Upvote 0