• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

War Stories (post yours here)

This one time on Baksan Valley, I was single handedly defending the capture point that the Russians usually get after the Bridgehouse (forgot what it's called). All I had was my K98, and 5 Commies were charging at me with SMG's and semi-autos. I unloaded my stripper clip, and all 5 of the 8mm bullets found their targets. I ran and picked up a fallen PPSh, but didn't have time to pick up a spare drum. I rushed into the Bridgehouse, killing the 2 Russians that were in there and climbed into the tower. I opened fire from the windows and onto Communists trying to climb the tower stairs, killing 10+. As my drum emptied, I resorted to some captured F-1 grenades, and killed 3 guys in the room below me. As I readied my PPSh for a last-ditch butt bashing attack, I was TK'ed.

Upvote 0
We were to take the hills in a place called "Orel". Me and my driver Alexei gave full throttle and drove to the Central Hills with the 5 more of our T-34's. As we reached the hill, we saw a Tiger climbing up. All our guys panicked and started shooting at the front side of the Tiger. It was useless of course. I ordered my driver to drive full speed and directly get behind him while he's busy popping our tanks.

Everything went according to the plan, we were 10 meters behind him, I aimed between the exhausts. I took my shot and immidiately everything went black.

I opened my eyes in front of my computer, "WTF!?!" I thought. Then I realised I was playing Red Orchestra. It was absolutely normal.

"My shot bounced 180 degrees and killed myself."

Upvote 0
This one I wrote after a particularly disturbing experience in the Mod, at Ponyri. I write stories a lot, so I turned it into one:

We huddled in the dank light through the smoke and fire at Ponryi. The stone buildings of a burned out city lay behind us, now only rows of wheat separated the Fascists from our reach. Our Commander held off at the rear with his DP28 light machine gun. "You will charge the enemy for your motherland! "None of you, turn back. I will accept nothing but victory!"
"ZA RODINU!" "FOR THE MOTHERLAND!" we cried in our fierce patriotism. Rifles lifted themselves off the ground and bayonets glinted as we presented our arms forward. Bloodcurdling yells escaped our lips. We charged the invaders, two hundred men strong! Each with the fortitude of a rampaging Griffin. With every smack of our burdened feet on the ground we gained more of a victory for our Motherland, for our honor. A mass of tan and green assaulted the enemy horde of black, and I, charging with them, carried our standard and my pistol. The red and gold flag bearing the hammer and sickle waved flashingly in the ripping wind and smoke. The gold blazoned violently our truth, and our red banner bore our toils in blood, sweat, and tears. Our screams were wild, rampant... deafening. Bayonets to my left, to my right, dropped heavily, but I kept running. I raised my pistol in the air and rallied the troops onward, firing upward and out. I could see nothing. I could hear nothing. Only the whistle of the wind and the rush of my speed blasted my ears. Men overtook me in their furious charge for the Rodina, and I ran with them. A brave charge, a just charge... across the plains of Ponryi to obliterate the invaders. The men in front of me fell boldly, their rifles flung backward at the sheer force of smacking machine gun bullets, I didn't see the one that flew back to hit me in the head.
The air smelled thick with smoke. My eyes watered and hurt. Everywhere, the stench of absolute death. The standard was in tatters, my pistol was nowhere to be seen. The setting sun glowed red with Russian blood. Rifles, bayonets, grenades, ammunition, all lay at my feet. My head was ablaze with thunder and my eyes seared with red, or was that blood? My head kept circling the scene... the blood... oh the blood. The eyes of my comrades lay open, at least the ones that still had them. Sickening. I don't remember how long I wept for. I slung a rifle over my shoulder and took what ammunition I could find. The bayonet would be too easily seen in the sunset, so I slid it into an empty sheath and attached it to my belt. What was left of our standard I shoved into my pilotka. Now it truly was red with our blood, and it would be my blood that would avenge these fallen men.
I crept slowly along the rolling hills until I came to the ruins of a house. Not much of it was left intact. The southern wall barely held itself together. Not trusting it, I held my weight up against the wall toward the East and rested. I knew the German lines were close. The rumble of artillery fire sounded so very near, was I right next to it? Each deafening boom shook the crumbling walls of the old ruin. They were the footsteps of giants, bounding their way toward Russian lines. My eyelids swelled and shaded the entry to my darkened soul. Everything fell black underneath the rolling thunder and bright flashes in the distance.
"Wha...?" Quiet voices whispered their way through the cracks in the walls. I awoke from my sleep abruptly. I feared I had made too much noise, and huddled against the corner of the walls, away from the bombed out windows. Footsteps calmly crinkled the pebbles on the hard ground and approached the window. "Nein. Es gibt nichts." said the voice. The Fascists! I peeked over my stubby little wall. There were thirty of them, thirty! I had absolutely no chance... I fell flat on the ground, but a spherical object in my pocket bruised my chest. A grenade! I waited until the footsteps grew somewhat distant, then pulled the pin...
"GRANATE! GRANATE!" shouted panicked voices as my bayonet and rifle flew from the ruins of the house. A quick flash of steel, a rifle butt to the head, another thrust to a stomach... Bright flashes... intense heat! All fades to black in the end.

Upvote 0
Great stories, I like reading other people's experiences good stuff.
So here is mine...

Basovka station, I am the sqaud leader. First thing I do is pick a target to call down artillery to stop the Germans in their tracks. I pick a spot right in the middle of the ridge in front the AT possition. I call down the artillery, within a minute or two after the start of the battle, artillery is falling on the German possition.

I see bodies flying, one after another. The German attack is stopped cold for the moment. The Germans alter their axis of attack and attempt to roll up out left flank. I shift the artillery to the burnt out T-34 on the left. This artillery barrage is as succeful as the other, the attack is stopped cold once again. At the same time however, the Germans alter their axis of attack once more and 5 or 6 Germans attempt to storm the trenches in the center.

I am alone, with my SVT40 when I see them charging at me. I fire off my whole clip in haste only taking out one of them. I switch to my grenades quickly and toss one a little far behind them and one right in front of the trench. I duck so as not to be on the recieving end of my own grenade.

After the grenade goes off I stand up and look, and all 5 of the attackers charging straight at me are down. However in the meantime another German with a MP40 managed to make it to the trench a little further down. He is busy with one of my comrades, however I see him get sprayed in the chest with the MP40.

I charge at him with my byonet attached to my SVT40, he fires a burst and misses, he tries to run but doesn't make it far. He got a byonet stright in the back.

This was one of the most intense and funnest battles I have fought. The Germans were trying so hard to make it into our trenches even with my precise artillery. Lot of times as described, the combat in the trenches was hand to hand sort of speak. (byonets, riflebutts) In the end, the Germans didn't even capture the first trench line thanks to the great teamwork on our part. The Germans were working together as well, but it just wasn't enough.

In the end, I killed 108 Germans, not a lie. As a Russian you cannot cap anything at Basovka, and the German never captured the first trench line. When I looked at my score at the end, it was 108. Meaning I didn't capture anything, all I did was shoot, and call down arty, killing 108 Germans....just insane!

Even the players on the German team praised my artillery skills, which was actually my first time since the mod days using it. I was always afraid to be a commander and use artillery, because it takes some skill, not to call on your own troops and kill them. So I was a little hesitent to do it, but I tried and damn was it fun!!!

Upvote 0
Probably my proudest moment was when I was still a recruit in the mod. I was a Strelok defending the apartments. I was in the larger room downstairs hiding beside the doorway to the smaller room. A German ran through the door and started peeking up the stairway. I bayo'd him in the back and ran back to the doorway. A second German came through and saw me but I bayo'd him before he could turn and fire. I realized there were Germans in the small room so I rushed in with determination. I bayo'd two Germans at the windows facing toward Ammo then turned and bayo'd the two Germans standing behind them. The kill list looked great! Just me stabbing Germans.:cool:

One or two were probably typekills but it sure was fun.:)

The bayo in Ostfront just isn't as effective as it was in the mod. I'm still not sure if that's good or bad.

Upvote 0
I've got two...
Once on Arad, my driver and I were trying to pin down the German advance in our T34. We were advancing along a tree line, when around the corner comes a panther, no more than 10m away. He fired and caused some damage, and I thought, "I've got you now!!" I fire, and our tank burst into flames... yep, shell bounced back and killed us... I've never laughed so hard playing this game.
The other time, while fighting for Orel, as we drive our Tiger away from the German encampment, I notice one of those highly annoying BA64's drive past. Warily, I stick my head out of the turret to see him pull into position behind us. I ducked back in, expecting MG fire, but the driver was alone. So I began the long laborius process of trying to bring the main gun to bear as he begins overtaking us. Finally I do, I fire, and miss, all the while trying to riddle the Russkie with bullets from the co-axial MG. I tell my driver don't stop for anything... after a couple minutes of struggling to get the turret into a proper leading position, I fire and the 88 blasts the BA end over end... Most satisfying if I do say so myself.

Upvote 0
A while ago, while on.......that one with the farm and the hill.2764whatever, i was russian and had just retreated from the farm after making a stern defence. I was hiding in the shubs that run along the fields, when a fully manned panther rolls along and stops right next to me. After almost being hit by a bounced shell from a friendly tank i run up to the panther and start stabing the tank with my bayo. I stab at the corner of the MG spot, and at the drivers hatch. then i run to the right side of the tank and watch as the driver hops out and starts making friends with me using his luger. i pop him with my mosin and start stabbing next to the MG slot, i was laughing so hard because i could see the Mg barrel moving from side to side looking for what was causing the noise. MGer gets out, gets stabbed, commander gets out and gets shot by a teammate, who was at the farm. God i love this game:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was a DP-28 gunner on Krasny. After getting a few germans I feel it is time to pull back and reload and set up in a different spot, as I head down the stairs a few germans start to dash across central to the garage doors I give them a long burst from the hip as it is all I have time for, they dive behind the truck and I dash down the stairs, my next thought being a safe place to reload, I run into the constuction hall. I figure Ill reload behind this truck and set up to cover the door, I walk around the truck and come face to face with a german not 10 ft away, we both snap shot with our weapons his shot goes wide but my burst rounds 1-6 climb arcross the wall up to him, and 7-20 will stich him from stem to stern that is if the ammo didnt run out on shot five. Frantically I try to pull my pistol in time to shoot as he rebolts, when all of a sudden that lovely zip,clang,splat sound that always accompanies a close headshot sounds,and he falls to the floor as one of my tracer rounds bounces straight down from the ceiling and through the top of his dome.

Upvote 0
I was a russian team leader (why did you change the classes into english?) in Arad, south village. I was in that house with a radio. After a while I went outside via the backdoor to check some noise and I saw a german, I knew there was another one because he was shooting at me. I quickly went down, got hit at my legs I started to crawl back, then all of a sudden some one threw a smoke nade at me, covering me, that actualy save me, I shot some short bursts at the general enemy direction and crawled back.I went inside and I saw they hit my left foot, right leg, right arm and torso. I was like "oh wtf, glad to be alive" After that I killed 2 germans untill an enemy killed me with a nade.

Upvote 0
A couple days back on Orel, I was being chaufered around in a Panther by Karl_Stiner (heavy british accent as always). We eventually got up to East Heights, where we espied some russian tanks parked about 200 meters away from their own bridges. From east heights it was about 800 or 900 meters. Knowing full well the enormous power of a panther shot, I line up the main body of the enemy tank with the base of my targeting triangle. *BOOM* The shell takes about 3 or 4 seconds to land direct hit and blow up a first tank. Reload. Adjust the sights. *BOOM* 2nd Kill. Two 800+ meter shots in a row.

Karl_Stiner: *VOIP* Gret Blady Shot Phal. Gret!

Then I spotted a Ba-64 speeding diagonally from the easternmost russian bridge to our position. The tank rotated, I aim about an Inch and a half ahead and below the armoured car and send it into a burning heap of metal, First Shot.

Karl Stiner: Darz onlay two payple who cudda dun a shot like that Phal, that's mey and you!

:D :D :D

Upvote 0
Was a Russian Pulmet. on Makhnovo [spelling] about half an hour ago. I'd been running about with my pistol shooting down any Germans in the station for a while and was low on ammo - I'd say I had about 2 rounds left. On that map, there's a little toilet room in the station itself. I'd seen a rifleman enter the toilet so I thought what the hell, I'll go after him. I stormed into the toilet and fired two unsighted tokarev rounds at him - one missed, the other hit the guy's weapon disarming him. He threw two nades to the ground inside the toilet and so I ran away to reload and let him blow himself up.

As I was exiting the toilet, another German with an MP40 came round and put off a burst at me. The burst completely missed me and instead killed the weaponless German who was still in the toilet. I then tried to run away from the SMG german to reload when the first German's nade exploded in the toilet. The SMG German was standing just outside of the toilet and was blown away by the grenade of the fellow-German he'd just shot.

Was pissing myself laughing - two Germans had just killed each other whilst trying to kill me. Funniest moment ever :D

Upvote 0
I was playing on Konigsplatz as a german. I was trying to flank the russians from the right side by their tank spawn. Our tiger tank was over there having a close combat battle with an IS2 and a t34. So i was gonna go over to the tiger to take cover or something, then one of the russian tanks fired and the round bounce off the tiger and hit right between my legs and killed me. I even recorded it with fraps. Pretty damn funny.

Upvote 0
Well, I just got done playing Lyes Krovy.

First round, Germans got raped. I had no idea what they were doing. I was an smg just running around in the trench, ended up being the last Ruskie left. I was in the communications area..Turned a corner, Boom, killed a man. Swiftly turned around and killed another (Total luck, must have been reflex:p ) Everyones like "Good job AWMN!!" and over VOIP;) , and then I got blown up by a gernade a couple seconds later. I was outnumbered anyway.

Second round, I was a sniper. Sitting in the tower, I was sort of wondering why after five minutes, we still haven't captured the ammunition bunker. There were a couple people in the tower...an MG, another sniper, and me. I was pounding out kills, he was just sitting there, taking a shot every minute. We ended up losing. No clue why. I got around 50 kills.

Third round was rediculous. We had one MG, a sniper, two SMG guys (God knows why, maybe they thought they could snipe with it), and one SMG that tried to threaten me or something. He was telling me to drop the sniper or he would shoot. :D I just stayed. Took me a couple minutes for the SMGs to get it in their damn mind they were supposed to be in the trench. We got raped again. I can't remember if we captured ammunition. But I know we lost.

Fourth round, I was a sniper. I was in the tower alone for most of the game. We were losing, so I decided to be an SMG for when I die (I expected I would get shot quickly anyway) to put some extra fire on the enemy. I ended up running through the trenches with a sniper, kicking total ass. It must have been around 10 minutes later, after a nice rifle butt fight with a german, when I died.:p I think I just killed him, took a little breather, looked around, and there was nobody. Went for Communications, and I got smacked on the back of my head. :( Ended up being a very close match, but Germans won.

Upvote 0
i forget the name of the map but it's a big tank map a new one with left flank, right flank and front lines, anywho

myself and my comrade rogue trooper were in a soviet is2 and managed to cut a path of destruction through the left then hid behind a broken down tank and killed plenty of facists for the motherland hoorah!!!!

Upvote 0
I think he was French

I think he was French

One day, I was fighting the fascist invaders in Orel on a good, trusty suka. I was sitting in the drivers position at the grouping zone, waiting for a gunner. Once someone jumped in, I started the engine and revved at full speed towards the sound of guns. Radio chatter was silent, now and then someone would call for help at the West Field... a Tiger was preying there. But I knew that suka couldn't handle a Tiger at the front, so I thought going around the Heights to flank him. Unfortunately, the Heights were swarming with fascists tanks, so we would have to fight our way trough them. I asked my stranger gunner what he thought about the plan. He took his time, and answered... with a gun shot some 10 meters in front of us. I took this for 'yes'. We had had an awful lot of young, excited fighters lately, some of who were so anxious to get into to the fight that they blew themselves up at the grouping zone!

I lurched us closer to the Heights, using small ditches and such to give us protection should we be ambushed by fritzes tanks. Lack of turret forced me to drive in a zig-zag to keep our gun towards the heights and most possible ambush spots. Luckily, we made it to the Heights with no problems, but they just were starting. I asked my gunner, who was strangely silent, to keep an eye out and tell me at once if fascist tanks emerged, and from what direction. No answer... I thought he might be mute, or some illiterate back-water Siberian made into a tanker out of desperation.

But, I had no luxury of having time to find out what were his musings, as we rose to the Heights, into middle of a German tank formation! A Tiger, couple panzers and an assault cannon. Quickly, I brought the suka to a jarring stop and warned my mute gunner about the Germans ahead, hoping he at least wasn't blind!

The Germans hadn't noticed us. We had caught them pants down. We would kill one or two and reverse into safety of the slope behind us. The gunner moved suka's gun to the left... and then to the right... and then jumped out of the tank.

I was so dumbstruck by his action, that I forgot to man the gun. All I could do was to stare frozenly as he was driven over by the assault cannon. Too late I climbed to the gunners position, as one of the panzers turned and shot me to kingdom come...

Upvote 0
Was playing on Kaukasus last night as a Strelok - sorry, I forget the English word for it ;)

I left the monastery down the steep gorge and ran up to the farmhouse waiting for the inevitable German charge. I hid upstairs peering out the window watching for some movement in the trees. Eventually I spotted at least one grey uniform jumping down the bank and approaching the farmhouse.

I laid down and aimed towards the stairs. I heard some movement and then footsteps getting louder. A German head appeared. I shot and down he went, a trail of blood across the wall. Almost as soon as I'd worked the bolt another German appeared. One shot and he fell. More blood and another body to alert further soldiers.

I caught my breath and waited again. It may have been half a minute or more before I heard more noise; the unmistakeable sound of someone entering the farmhouse - another German patrol maybe. I was right. The first soldier rushed up the stairs but I had the advantage. Shoot - another crumpled body - work the bolt, shoot at his colleague just appearing above the level of the floorboards and yet another medallion of blood across the walls.

No more sounds, for now at least. Only one shot left; should I reload or wait until I'm empty? Unfortunately I had no time to decide. Another German appeared on the stairs like a meerkat. I shot and missed. Damn.

Fortunately he retreated down the stairs, not knowing I needed to reload. Then the first "potato masher" appeared, bouncing off the ceiling on to the top of the stairs. I was still lying on the floor some distance from the stairs so the blast did minimal damage. Another stick grenade was thrown from downstairs. This one fell by the window, off to my left. The explosion ripped across me but I was still alive.

In the confusion I had forgotten to reload. Instead I fumbled for a grenade, braced myself and tossed it towards the stairs. In slow motion I saw it arc towards the stairwell, bounce off the banister and land right in front of me. I closed my eyes, prayed for the first time in my life and waited for inevitable death.

Upvote 0
I remember one story from the last desperate days of Battle for Krasnyi Oktyabr...

So I came to Stalingrad few weeks ago and I was already a veteran and I had killed for Motherland with my loyal Mosin Nagant model 1930.

But I got separeted from my unit and I was fighting with comrades from 308. Rifle Division at the Krasnyi.

As the fascists attacked to Central Yard, I was in thick of action on high building and shooting poor germans like flies. Must have got more than 15, when they noticed that I was making their advance to a massacre so germans sented their best snipers do their dirty work. Got two blood thirsty capitalist before they finally got the Central Yard and started to advance towards me.

I fixed my sharpened bayonet and shot couple of more fascists while I awaited them to come through door. Then they came, revenge in their eyes and a couple hundred bullets with my name on all of them.

I fought hardly shouting insults on invaders and killed 3 of them before their sniper shot me while I was standing next to a open window....

Upvote 0
I was fighting in Stalingrad and a skilled mg was killing many of my fellow soldiers, I decided to do a rambo assault into the administration building. I managed to sneak to a room with two enemy soldiers, I shot them both with my rifle. I knew that the enemy would soon send new mger's into the house, so I devised a plan: I will take the mg and hold the long corridor in the house with it. I proned partially behind a corner and had a perfect spot for camping. I was anxious to shoot my enemies into pieces and noticed that my MG appeared to have lots of ammo left, but I was wrong. A enemy came from behind the corner and I pulled the trigger, but alas, nothing happened. I cursed at the deceiful german mg and ran to the roof in terror. I hid behind a crate there, but the german had already seen me and killed me with a grenade.

Upvote 0