• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Adding a running kill score may not be so bad!

beetlejuice321

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 31, 2006
K, I am well aware of the fact that the developers want to mak RO a game that does not focus on personal kill ratio's such as death match FPS's.

But I just wanted to point out that while this game is pretty freakin cool, and while we all love the realism! There is still something lacking.

I mean there seriously should be a lot more people playing this game then there are. And its not simply because this game hasn't been promoted enough, or because people haven't given it a chance. I mean I have been playing RO since its conception. (Even using the original Unreal 2003 mod and the original native Linux clients!)

But I just have to share that I think this game really needs to show a kill count for players, in addition to your game score and ranking. (Like DOD, Battlefield series, DeltaForce series, etc).

I personally dont' think this will change the fact that this game focuses on a team effort. Or on a score that includes kills and team achievments (capturing controlled points in the game).

But come on!!! Who WOULD NOT want an additional column in the stats screen that also shows how many kills you have and your comparative death scores???

A lot of players are playing for a personal best, and many gamers (or most) are attracted to this feature. Not to mention the score systems confuses most players at first, and causes them to feel frustrated (I know I did at first). I feel that if you included in the scores screen you would see the interrest in RO increase rapidly!

Just a list of some games that incude this feature Is DOD, and all the Battlefield games! And honestly, even though you may have a rogue player on your team, I think all these games have a huge fucus on team play! And RO even W/O this feature, does not possess any more "team player" spirit than DOD or Battlefield in this players humble opinion.

But how many of you people out there agree with me? How many of you, would like to see your total Points Scored, Kills, and Deaths, that were achieved in your game?

Last edited:
I agree that the game deserves more population, but In respone to your suggestions:

Will a kill record really attract a sufficient crowd?
Will the crowd that it attracts even be desired? I mean kill are critial to win a game, but if you start drawning in people who are in it just for the kills theres a split game objective between who has the kills and who has the team points.

What my proposal is, would be to have a score board which counts points earned by following team objectives, (Time spent in objective location, # of kills earned in objective location, # of kills defending objective loaction, # of objectives captured/successfully defended etc.) That just a couple things off the top of my mind.

Upvote 0
Well, you don't have to look at the scoreboard if you don't want to.

Why not add it, it doesn't distract from gameplay as long as you value captures way more than kills or before anything else. F.i.; you can have 100 kills, but capture always goes first. Capture is primary and kills secondary.

I don't mind statistics, because that's what they are, just statistics...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it'd be cool if it did all that junk behind the scenes then at the very end just give out general titles/medals like in Starwars battlefront 2, but make them like war-y.

Maybe give Purple heart to the guy who died the most, give a medel to the guy with the most kills, MVP award for the guy with the highest overall score, etc. But still keep the specifics hidden, or maybe make them only visible outside of a match, maybe keep a text file or something that can be looked at outside of the game that way it's anoying enough to the point where not everyone will focus on it, but it's still available if you are curious.

Upvote 0
Archeoptrix said:
I think it'd be cool if it did all that junk behind the scenes then at the very end just give out general titles/medals...

Maybe give Purple heart to the guy who died the most, give a medel to the guy with the most kills, MVP award for the guy with the highest overall score, etc. But still keep the specifics hidden, or maybe make them only visible outside of a match, maybe keep a text file or something that can be looked at outside of the game that way it's anoying enough to the point where not everyone will focus on it, but it's still available if you are curious.

Thanks http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/member.php?u=6794 I agree with you totally. Its obvious the score system is a sensative issue for most gamers that have posted here. And I think your idea really works as a compromise that can make everybody happy!

Upvote 0
One thought I had when playing was to not update the score table while you play, but update it when you die, and when you are dead (and at the end of the round) a new personal “achievements table” would be displayed.

It would display things like How long you lived, how many enemies/team-mates/tanks you killed/injured, MGers you supported, areas you captured, your weapon accuracy and hit locations and maybe a game play tip depending on how you died/preformed to help the newcomers out there…

And with all this information displaying when you are dead you have something to read while waiting to respawn and therefore an increased respawn-time could be added without making the waiting annoyingly boring, also the background could turn black to prevent “ghosting”.

Upvote 0
Personally I don't like having a kill/death ratio in the stats thing. Say if I'm doing REALLY well and have a kill streak of about 20 and only 1 or 2 deaths, I feel as if I have a role to live up to, and I hate the idea of that, so I leave. But with RO, it doesn't show kills or deaths, only a score, meaning people don't expect any more or less of you for getting kills or dying.

I dunno if that made sense, but basically a K/D ratio would put me off RO.

Upvote 0
I like the no score idea, just a team win or loss.

Maybe take it a step further, and only show negative points, and give them for tk's but also general ass-hattery...such as leaving spawn with the only tank, and not picking up the guys running after you yelling "STOP!", for refusing to move up into the cap zone, for camping (like the guys on arad who exit camp the german spawn, thus making the new version one of the worst maps now), for not resupplying the mg'er when you are right next to him, and he is yelling for ammo....and things like that.

Upvote 0
Personally I remember from UT2004 a toggleable menu bound to the F3 (?) key. It gave informations about your and other players' statistics about accuracy, kills by weapon, deaths by weapon etc. I would certainly like a lot to have it back RO style, as long as it can only be viewed at the end of the map and you can only view your own statistics. I don't want "stat whores" on this game. :)

Upvote 0