• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To Improve Maps....

EvilAmericanMan

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005
Palm Coast, FL
....open them up more!

This game has some maps that are very big in design, yet we are restricted as to where we can go. On Arad for instance, everyone knows about the mine field area that is way ahead of the North Field. The map isn't walled off by anything visible like a barbed wire fence. If you go too far, you blow up! Why? By opening up this area it could improve the map and long-range engagements in tanks can be more common. The only place I feel that mines are well-placed is in front of enemy spawns. But on HedgeHog if you go too far behind or try to tactically flank the Western Farmhouse (both as German) in HedgeHog you blow up. The excuse is that I'm "leaving the battlefield!". That is too lame. And what's with the blowing up after an objective is taken? Example: The German team is losing the Construction Hall on Stalingrad! They try to get enough guys in time but alas the Russians overcome them with better numbers....then three seconds after the objective is taken by the Russians, all Germans in the capped area are blown up, without given time to fall back or (gasp!) try to play smart and sneak up behind the advance.

So I say take out any minefields that aren't in front of an enemy spawn...giving players the ability to go anywhere on the map will make them love this game more.

I've never mapped before and I really don't want to have to take years to learn how to. I'm saying from a players standpoint what could make the game better. I don't see why the mappers would intentionally make Arad such a close range battle for tanks? Surely opening the maps up can only make the game better...after all, most of the complaints of Arad are that it's too much of a 'knife fight' as you put it.

Upvote 0
EvilAmericanMan said:
I've never mapped before and I really don't want to have to take years to learn how to. I'm saying from a players standpoint what could make the game better. I don't see why the mappers would intentionally make Arad such a close range battle for tanks? Surely opening the maps up can only make the game better...after all, most of the complaints of Arad are that it's too much of a 'knife fight' as you put it.

Like I said, the mapper makes the map because he had an idea. Same reason why a person would write a book or start a movie.

Granted you can make sequels to those, but that doesn't stop mappers from asking permission to modify the offical maps a bit. Anyone remember the original RO-Berlin, but it had tanks on it? But that was for some movie or some sort though.

Anyways, the original maps get RO's point across. You can have CQB maps or long range engagements, just like real life. I mean you aren't gonna find a huge and massive Stalingrad level are you? But for a Kursk map you probably will.

Upvote 0