• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Grenade Help

Gomer Pyle said:
Grenades have been aggravating me lately. Typical scenario: I'm advancing when I spot multiple enemies taking cover ahead of me. I crouch behind cover and switch to grenade. I throw grenade only to watch it bounce off the top of my cover and go straight up. I get shot while trying to run from my own grenade or blown up because I don't get away in time.

I realize I'm probably not throwing the grenade at a high enough angle but it looks good on the screen. I just have to get used to throwing in a way that doesn't look good.

I haven't practiced with grenades much in Ostfront but I assume it's similar to the mod. I use my left hand to aim with. The aimpoint has to be adjusted depending on the distance thrown but I've found it to be fairly accurate.

There have been suggestions about practicing against bots which is sound advice, but I never bounced nades as stated here in practice. But I have bounced them in a real game. I believe there are two issues. One is there appear to be invisible force fields near objects that the nades bounce off of. The other I believe is a network lag problem. That is you think you have a clear path to throw the nade, but the server says you threw the nade into something 'cause the server says you are somewhere different then the client side is showing you.

Upvote 0
Mousewheel will switch weapons. With most classes simply scrolling once will switch, however for those that have pistols, satchels, or binocs you might have to do it multiple times. Left-clicking (fire) will throw the grenade, while holding right-click (alt-fire) will hold the grenade back, cooking it., and letting go will throw it. This is essentially lowering the fuse time while it's in your hand, so for example if your grenade would explode in 5 seconds after pulling the pin, cooking it for 3 seconds would cause it to explode 2 seconds after you threw it.

Upvote 0
Theodrake said:
There have been suggestions about practicing against bots which is sound advice, but I never bounced nades as stated here in practice. But I have bounced them in a real game. I believe there are two issues. One is there appear to be invisible force fields near objects that the nades bounce off of. The other I believe is a network lag problem. That is you think you have a clear path to throw the nade, but the server says you threw the nade into something 'cause the server says you are somewhere different then the client side is showing you.
It might be a lag type problem. I'm usually looking forward or slightly down when I crouch and switch to grenades. Then I look up to make the throw. It night be that my screen is a little ahead of the server. I'll try some practice offline to see if the problem goes away.

Upvote 0
swampy11 said:
I have read but can not find again in the forum how to lob a `nade a short distance instead of heaving it at a distance object. It was new to me and I swore I would remember how to do it. Guess what:confused:
Can some one enlighten me again?
Thanks
`swamp

In the mod an underhand throw was possible with MB2, but I don't think it still works.

Upvote 0
HERE IS THE BEST STRATEGY TO USE KNOWN TO JESUS...

Throw the grenade away from you...and towards the other team...

Oh and dont throw it at door frames or scaffolds...It might just come back and land in front of you.

-enven.
p.s. You should also prime them and run at people screaming..HERE IS ANY EXAMPLE OF WHAT YOU SHOULD DO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOO5UtDjH_k"][B]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOO5UtDjH_k[/
As you can see in this video clip...Brick Tamland knows what to do with a hand grenade.

Upvote 0
Grenade use is easy. You can just primary fire and throw them but unless your target is prone or doesn't see the toss then they have plenty of time to get out of the way. So you should cook your grenades, in essence burning off some of the fuse before you toss.

I'll go over handling for both teams, since each side's grenade behaves differently. The fuse on both sides lasts for about 5 seconds.

Starting with the Germans: their grenade starts to cook as soon as you press the fire button. Pressing primary fire gives you a normal toss with the maximum range. Using alt fire will give you a underhand toss that has about half the range. In both cases holding down the fire button will extend the range you throw the grenade and the grenade is not thrown until you release the button.

As for the Russians: their grenade's fuse does not start when you press primary or alt fire. The type of toss is the same, primary fire for a long overhand toss and alt fire for the short underhand toss. The fuse will not start until you release the grenade, however, UNLESS you press the other fire key. For example, you hold primary fire to begin your toss, if you press alt fire before throwing you will hear a click and the fuse will begin to burn. Once you have started the fuse the grenade handles like a German one.

To cook the grenade you hold the button and count off (I use One-One-Thousand, Two-One-Thousand, etc.). Generally I will throw on the count of 3 or 4, otherwise you will get an airburst right in front of your face or the grenade will go off in your hand.

Usually it is worthwhile to take the time to cook your grenade as it gives little to no reaction time for your opponent. The disadvantage is that you have a live grenade in your hand for 2-4 seconds so you are fairly vulnerable and need to be in cover until you pop up to throw.

Upvote 0