• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

medics

Status
Not open for further replies.
first thing, i want to say: i dont mean unrealistic one-second-teleport-wonder-cure-medics like in other games. Medics in Red Orchestra should do, what Medics are doing in reality (on the battlefield): stopping bleeding. Somebody ever played The Unreal Tournament- Modification The Third Reich? If you are getting shot there, you continuously loose Blood, until you die (slowly!) so i suggest:
  • a medic can stop the blooding with a limited amound of bandages.
  • after this, you slowly regenerate blood.
  • you die, if you have no more blood
  • the more wounds players have, the more blood they loose per second
  • a grenade is causing more wounds than a bullet (of course)
then, a new hizone-system would be cool (i mean: there are already hitzones in RO, but if you're hit, nothing changes but your amount of healthpoints (veery realistic :p)
so:
  • a Wound in a part of your virtual body affects the functionality of this part
for example:
  • if you are shot in the left hand, any damage over 50% (only in the left hand) increases reloading time for 200%, any damage over 80% prevents you from reloading any weapons.
  • if you are shot in the right hand, recoil is being increased depending on the damage you have taken.
  • damage in the legs decreases movement speed PERMANENTLY
  • damage in the stomach area decreases stamina depending on the damage taken in this area.
and so on.

known problems:
  • players may kill themselves, if they are unable to play, because they are too "wounded"
  • not wounded players may be moving faster than the wounded players- if the fast ones do not want to wait, the slow moving players may be seperated from the "army"
  • the amound of medics-per-soldier can hardly be specified.
i have some solutions to these problems but i want to see the Reaction and Opinion of the community, first. (and, i actually have to eat now :D )
thanks

EDIT: sry for my bad english :D

Somian said:
for example:
  • if you are shot in the left hand, any damage over 50% (only in the left hand) increases reloading time for 200%, any damage over 80% prevents you from reloading any weapons.
  • if you are shot in the right hand, recoil is being increased depending on the damage you have taken.
  • damage in the legs decreases movement speed PERMANENTLY
  • damage in the stomach area decreases stamina depending on the damage taken in this area.
and so on.

I agree that medics aren't necessarily needed but those ideas should be looked into nevertheless.

Upvote 0
Shepherd said:
I agree that medics aren't necessarily needed but those ideas should be looked into nevertheless.

Decreasing movement speed almost permanantly (or was it permanantly?) was tried in the mod and what hated, because you were basically screwed over, especially if you had to move out a long way. It was so bad that most people just suicided to get a new pair of legs.

Upvote 0
fruityfrenchcakespi1.jpg

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
Decreasing movement speed almost permanantly (or was it permanantly?) was tried in the mod and what hated, because you were basically screwed over, especially if you had to move out a long way. It was so bad that most people just suicided to get a new pair of legs.

Hmm, and there's no way to remove the suicide command?

Anyway, there needs to be some kind of penalty for getting hurt besides death. Think of how it would increase the immersion factor. For example:

Legs: soldier falls down and can only get back up slowly, inability to jump and run
Arms: slow reload, arms shaking, inability to use melee mode
Head: vision or hearing penalty

The way it is now you're able to survive 3-4 pistol rounds if shot in the arms and legs without any penalty which is kind of a let-down for me.
I hope no one would commit suicide because of those penalties, after all we're looking for a realistic experience amirite?

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
as people have allready sayed : SEARCH!

if you get shot and live you didnt get hurt badly enough to need bandages.
if your wounds is serious enough to need bandaging, RO allready considers you "dead"

you could have found that in any number of threads on this subject.

Who are you talking to? I'm not asking for bandaging or medics...
This, kind sir, is a thread hijack on the quest for a more realistic damage simulation. And yeah, no need to tell me another five times, I searched. I've found one two months old thread dealing with the subject. Since the original poster already suggested wound penalties I thought we could just continue the discussion in this thread.
And before you quack at me like that again, in Ostfront it actually is possible to be hurt 3 to 4 times without dying and those wounds should either be simulated or the health indicator could be removed entirely. Because RO has always strived for realism I appeal for the former.

Upvote 0
SiFi said:

Yeah no ***** use search this comes up like every 2 weeks atleast. No, Nao, Nein. AFAIK there weren't even combat medics on the eastern front, USSR didn't sign to the any of the Geneva Conventions.

Upvote 0
TW tries to create a combat simulation, and in reality, you don't kill yourself, just because you are injured. That's, what i mean. Sure, the gampelay of RO is fun, but it feels not too realistic. but how to make the players fearing their own virtual death? removing respawns? it would be cool, if there are no more reinforcements but bangages and pharmacy, and if these "reinforcements" are depleted, you'll really die, if you are injured
it makes players play more carefully-
there should be two gamemode- one realistic with medics, and another with reinforcements. =)

Upvote 0
Its not "killing yourself because you're wounded" its "your body is so screwed up you can't fight any more". RO counts you out of the battle as "dead" when you can't make a significant effect on the battle.

EDIT: unless you were refering to the suicide command. Yeah, *that* aspect is silly, but nothing is really going to change that.

Adding "bandages and pharmacy" wouldn't make the game any more realistic. If you made them strong enough to be useful, they'd be extremely UNrealstic.

If you made them realistic, they wouldn't do any good on RO's scale; a wound that will kill you in the time scale of a RO battle is not going to respond to a simple bandage! And any pain killer strong enough would likely knock you on your ass.

Upvote 0
One life. When everyone would have only one life, wounded guys could make a difference. Think a guy who has a bullet in his leg and can't move; he can shoot and he will shoot if someone comes and tries to kill him. What a great way to cover some backdoor no-one else is willing to cover. Just patch him up, and stop the bleeding, carry him to a place where he can get a clear shot, and he will shoot the first 2 guys coming from that door. He will propably die after that but he has done what he could and thats it. I would love to see how would it work if there would be only 1-2 lives per player in RO. Then the little help from medic could and would be useful.

That is true that when someone shoots your legs of, wtf are you going to do in maps like Arad, if you are at the end of the map, ofcourse you choose death by own hand and respawn with pair of new feet. No medic can make you a new pair, and there is no sense in medics in game like this. In Americas Army medic is actually useful, but not really that useful. Times are different.

Upvote 0
K.Johansen said:
Yeah no ***** use search this comes up like every 2 weeks atleast. No, Nao, Nein. AFAIK there weren't even combat medics on the eastern front, USSR didn't sign to the any of the Geneva Conventions.

does that mean they havnt used own medics ? Just cause of Geneva Conventions. I think you shoud reconsider your opinion ;)

an army with several million soldiers. And NO medical support directly on the frontline ... somehow i can not believe that.

(of course the reason not to have medics in game, is another story!)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.