• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Remember the shield gun from UT?

Moz

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
It automatically attacked when you got in contact with an enemy.

If I charge at a guy with my melee held it shouldn't it hurt him instead of me having to release the melee key otherwise he smacks me in the face?

When you touch an enemy it should automatically release the attack.

I kind of like this suggestion, but If I remember correctly the shield gun also discharged if you hit a friendly... Upside is that melee combat would be easier, perhaps encouraging it more, and downside is that it could cause problems ie: Does the auto-attack work on friendlies? What if you wanted to club another guy first?

It could turn out similar to the "auto bolt" that so many people disliked...

Upvote 0
I think you should be able to stick that pokey thing out there and slash away.

There are a lot of things that could make the hand-to-hand fighting better, but unfortunately it's somewhat complicated...not as simple as a bullet flying in a straight line (or even a curved line, with ballastic trajectory and all that).

I'd be happy to see just one melee improvement in the next patch though :)

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a more frantic or dynamic melee. By that I mean something cool like, Left smack and right smack, besides just forwards bashing. Also better detection for melee hits. Maybe even concussion for head-hits, or blocking.

Yes I know RO isnt based around melee but in places like Stalingrad, melee became essential elements of warfare. That and rodent consumption. Yum yum.

Upvote 0
I'm not positive I like this idea, would really have to try it, but this thread reminded me of a quote in another thread:

<[RO]Ramm-jaeger> if something is simple to do in real life,
<[RO]Ramm-jaeger> It should be simple to do in the game
<[RO]Ramm-jaeger> If its hard to do in real life
<[RO]Ramm-jaeger> it should be hard to do in the game
<[RO]Ramm-jaeger> Its not hard to walk around
<[RO]Ramm-jaeger> and not bang your weapon into a wall in real life
<[RO]Ramm-jaeger> you just raise it up when you turn

In the same way, it's not hard to poke an enemy with a bayonet (especially if they are still and not looking at you) if you close enough. Now is it so easy that it shouldn't even require timing to release a key? just getting close enough and looking at him I don't know. I do think it is an interesting suggestion and something that should be tested.

Upvote 0
The_Countess said:
althou i like this for making melee simpler and frankly more realistic (2 guys running around eachother isn't verry realistic is it)
the problem is i see 2 guys running at eachother with bayos and both kill eachother at the same time.
i dont think that happend verry often in the war...

well it would happen only in those cases where both dudes have the bayo attached and are ready and even then the solution could be that the damage of the bayo depends on the stamina, speed, and how long do you have the bayo ready for the kill, sometimes both die, but most of the time, only one remains...

Upvote 0
Pyros777 said:
I think deep down I just suck at bayoing and this seems like an easy solution. :)

well your not the only one, with the new system everybody seems to suck at it...
i can kill a stationary target just fine but if it moves and is trying to kill me at the same time it just dusnt seems to work... even if i take into account the hit delay and everything else, i just cant seem to make that instant kill.

Upvote 0
I think the melee in this game needs to be changed so that it's favorable to use it in close quarters rather than spraying and praying.

One way to make this more lethal would be to have an auto-release like the shield gun did in UT2004. The reason why it would auto-release is because when you are faced with weapons that are ten times as destructive, you need every little bit of help you can get.

Now, I don't know if it can be argued the same way in RO.

I do think the melee system needs to be changed, though.

The only time I ever successfully get a melee kill is if i'm totally balls-out trying to get one. The rest of the time I keep to my trusty hipspray with the PPSh41 for close-quarters stuff.

Upvote 0
I kind of think melee could be made a little more interesting if the way you are moving when you release the attack button influences what kind of attack you do, sort of like Morrowind's melee but not.

Moving forward upon release is a thrust/bash, strafing sideways is a sort of slash/swing in the direction you are going, and moving back will be a momentary block that will need to be timed properly to fully work. Could end up being a simple rock paper scissors mechanic that would be deep enough to be enjoyable.

Upvote 0