• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So smoke has been forced onto all the maps then

Nimsky said:
Small question, with how many people do you guys do the testing, usually?

I know that in IC (16 vs 16 organized teams) certain elements in the game can work out radically different in terms of balance.

Not complaining, just curious.

Anywhere from 8 players to full 32 (if I can find all my testers). Which is also why I am hiring more testers. But yes, the testers do play as organized teams that know what they are doing which can indeed play out much differently the public in some cases. We try and make allowances for that, but it does not always work out as well as we plan.

Upvote 0
Droog said:
Yoshiro, the point is not that smokes make maps unbalanced, though often they do, the point is that it changes the gameplay dramatically. What for?!

We thought it made a great addition to the gameplay, and it was a feature many members of the community wanted. Should be easy to create a no Smoke mutator if you don't like it that way and get your server admins to run it.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
We thought it made a great addition to the gameplay, and it was a feature many members of the community wanted. Should be easy to create a no Smoke mutator if you don't like it that way and get your server admins to run it.

OMG does it mean the server owners can't turn them on/off without a mutator that doesn't exist??? Why could't you make enabling smokes on the server optional?

Upvote 0
Rak said:
I just hate comments like this whenever something that ruins the game added. So, if next time they decide to introduce xhairs because newbies can't do without them; will you say the same thing? It is exactly the same logic!

This so called "booster pack" was a very bad shock for us long supporters. I hope we won't see this kind of things introduced into the game, killing the immersion and balance(both realism and gameplay wise).

hooray contradiction!

Upvote 0
Just made a match on Kessel. It was horrible with just smoke spam. Smoke really killed the game for me right now. Either strictly limit them to larger infantry maps, or find a way to lower their usage. And no, this not a mutator job.

Official Announcement said:
. . . on some maps, infantry commanders will now have smoke instead of explosive grenades . . .

Why didn't devs keep their promise and limit them to "some" maps?

Upvote 0
Interesting arguments on both sides - I haven't had time to play RO much since the patch, so haven't tried the old maps with smoke.

One question, though... It seems obvious that those who know a lot about WWII history are confident that Germany didn't use 'Smoke Grenades' much or at all... but I was wondering if they used 'Smoke-Screens' period?

If they did, then we can just look at the grenades as a way to implement Smoke-Screens without having to bring in a new class or a big machine to lay out smoke?

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonreuter
Stop whining and adapt. Smoke grenades are not a broken bonus feature, they are a new tactical element.

:cool:well said

It is indeed a broken feature, it is not realistic to have it on every map, it is indeed not realistic to have it on every map that much. Come on! This is the best game we got close to realism, don't ruin it. Adapt to good things, not bad things.

I gave my years and countless hours to RO, I won't stay silent while it's gameplay gets ruined.

Upvote 0
Rak said:
It is indeed a broken feature, it is not realistic to have it on every map, it is indeed not realistic to have it on every map that much. Come on! This is the best game we got close to realism, don't ruin it. Adapt to good things, not bad things.

I gave my years and countless hours to RO, I won't stay silent while it's gameplay gets ruined.

signed

Upvote 0