• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sharpshooter class should be earned.

[-project.rattus-] said:
As a proficiant shooter is about as effective with a rifle yas with the sniper gun, I don't see why this should be implemented.
It's not like it is crucial for the team to have a good sniper to win, and with your solution, you'd too end up with the same persons being the sniper all the time, with the only doifference that the slot wouldn't be available from the beginning.

I totally agree, the sniper is not a crucial role and actually keeps you out of the main action of capping and winning the map. Also, I have hit guys from easily as far as a sniper usually shoots from with the bolt action.

It seems like most of the peple who choose sniper aren't interested in actually battling it out with an enemy, they just want to sit back and take potshots, which to me is really boring. Even if I earned the right to become a sniper I wouldn't take it, it's just not as much fun as a rifleman. I personally wanted to use the sniper almost exclusively when i first started playing, but found out later how limited the role is, and now never choose it, even if it's the only one available. But that's me. :)

Upvote 0
Instead of your everyday random newbie who sees the mystical uber leet sniper class and must have it.

That appears to be what is happening with this suggestion.

It's not rewarding score, it's recognizing a player's marksmanship and giving him the blah blah

uhm, that is EXACTLY what it is doing. By getting a score of 10 first, you are rewarded with the sniper rifle. You can always reword it to read, By getting a score of 10 first, you will be recognized as a sniper. See, its the same thing.

This system does nothing to help the supposed problem. The system still favors the people with faster computers because they get in game first and they are more likely to get some kills before the others get in. And what about the noobs? They will NEVER get the sniper rifle unless they pick one up. If a noob plays the game to be a sniper, and he finds out its nearly impossible to do on a nearly full or completely full server, he will probably stop playing. This is just a flawed suggestion and even if you changed the font to 50 and post "THIS IS THE IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS FORUM" it still won't change the fact that your idea is flawed. I'm sorry, just go back and think up solutions to make it better.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
This is just a flawed suggestion and even if you changed the font to 50 and post "THIS IS THE IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS FORUM" it still won't change the fact that your idea is flawed.

I was just pointing out that the animosity toward my idea or the sharspshooter class wasn't necessary. People can disagree without being jerks (look at the 2 replies above).

If people like their good old rifle better, so be it. But there is no need to bash those who think using a scope is more effective at long range than aiming at 4 pixels on their monitor.

This system does nothing to help the supposed problem. The system still favors the people with faster computers because they get in game first and they are more likely to get some kills before the others get in

Right now: Fast computer = sharpshooter class.

My idea: Fast computer and/or good aiming with rifle = sharpshooter class.

There is a slight difference, and the newbie who is barely aware of his surrounding and just learning to play won't get his 10 kills first even if he shows up on the server 5 minutes before everyone.

And yes, for those who keep repeating this, you can follow a sharpshooter and take his gun when he dies. But it's an alternative solution only. The sharpshooter isn't always easy to find on a map, if you roam around looking for him, you are dead weight for the team. If you find him and have to wait 5-10 minutes before he dies, you are also dead weight for the team. If he gets killed, there's usually a good reason, so you are in danger when you'll try to pick up the gun and ammunition. Then of course if you die, you got to start all over again. It's boring and counter-productive.

This system works better with the MG since he is easy to locate, needs someone to watch his flank, needs ammunitions and cover when he reloads.

Upvote 0
ok, so if it's 10 points, how would it be decided if the first 5 or six people on a team rush the first objective and cap it? They all get ten points for it without killing a single enemy, and the points don't say how they were earned, so they earn sniper class whether they can shoot or not.

Also, who would get he gun since there is ususlly only 2 guns or so?

Upvote 0
Coey said:
It's hardly locking the newbies out, it's letting the better players earn the sniper rifle (which IMO is a very strange weapon) rather than letting the first person on the server get it. This way is more fair.

which way is more fair, having to earn it or leave it as first come first served? Sorry, it just wasn't very clear how you wrote it. :)

Upvote 0
stebbs said:
ok, so if it's 10 points, how would it be decided if the first 5 or six people on a team rush the first objective and cap it? They all get ten points for it without killing a single enemy, and the points don't say how they were earned, so they earn sniper class whether they can shoot or not.

Also, who would get he gun since there is ususlly only 2 guns or so?

I said in the original post that it was 10 kill with a rifle. I never talked points.

Read again.

Upvote 0
D3terioNation said:
Out of curiosity OIOIOI :)rolleyes:) how will you benefit from this idea?

The impression I get is that you cant hit squat with the rifle! So how are YOU gonna get your hands on the ALMIGHTY SNIPER RIFLE..?

If I can't shoot, then I can't get the sniper rifle according to what I suggested, so how would that benefit me? :rolleyes:

You would benefit from reading my original post on the first page too.

Upvote 0
I like this idea but I see valid arguments on both sides, but I feel that this could be a very effective server option for each server to turn on or off, it could also bleed a little to the commander class and maybe saper and MG gunner as well.

It would probably be useful on servers that have had consistent problems with players using critical classes without using their full potential, but I also know that you can't learn if you cant play.

But I have seen many times where if I or another player was able to pick the commander or sniper class we could have been able to help more than the current holder of that class, and many times asking nicely doesn't help you get that class. Many times someone picks a sniper rifle and I see them charging the front like every other sterlok or automatchick and I end up having to pick it off his dead body to use it.

By using this system is helps steer competant players into key roles that can help win the map. But by also using this system it prevents new players from becoming competent snipers or commanders.

Thats why I think it could be a valuable server option, some servers could allow the first-come-first-serve and other servers could use the reward system.

Each server could choose one of the two options to help cater to their own situation the best. If newbie snipers are running ramapnt then they move to the reward system to help get the most out of their playing experience, but if they dont have problems and everyone usually can get the class they need or want then they can keep it at the first-come-first-serve server default.

Personally I believe that many debates could be solved in this manner, many forum topics have been started that have wonderful ideas but since both sides have many and equally valid suggestions and points the idea never sees the light of day, many of those ideas would be excelent mutator/mod material or would fit in perfectly as a server option. I think we should look into this as a solution for many of those wonderful and imaginative ideas.

Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
Is everyone ignoring my point? All you people with the slow-ass PCs and internet connections just need to constantly check up on the weapons selection screen, it takes a split second while in the respawn que, and if you do that you WILL get the sniper class more often.

Just quit being lazy and making my purchase of a $1200 computer useless.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
I don't find it fun. I'm usually in game fast enough to have the choice of taking it too. I just don't think the sniper class is that important to take the time for the devs to develop a system.

There are so many players with sniper fetishes in the world. You do realize there are weapons in the game other than the sniper right? It isn't really going to hurt too much if you have to take a rifle while some 8 year old has a sniper rifle. If you needed the thing so badly pick up one laying around. And what about the guys who are unlucky or who are noobs who want to use the sniper rifle, but all the cocky elite riflemen get the 10 kills asap and snatch it up? In this case, solving one problem only creates others.

Amen to that!...totally agree, i like the sniper role (check my ro movie thread video) vut dont think it should be made exclusive to any one. This is a game and everyone should be free to play the role. We're not really in the army you know.

Upvote 0
Then i stand corrected. As others have said, the sniper class is NOT imperative to winning a map, it is merely a preference of characters. If you would rather sit far away from the battle while i try and win the map, go ahead. No loss for my team. Good points have been made for both sides but i think everyone should have the same opportunity to use any weapon they want. Earning a gun that mainly new players want to use makes no sense, IMO.

Deathsai said:
Just quit being lazy and making my purchase of a $1200 computer useless

$1200, huh, I guess you're one of those in last then...

Upvote 0
The key problem to this suggestion is that it opens up a whole new can of worms. It simply would not solve anything, the people who get in first will still have the advantage over everyone else at getting the sniper, and if the last person in gets to 10 kills first and gets the sniper rifle, it only proves the your team is a bunch of noobs who simply don't have the ability to get it. Basically this suggestion favours the fast computers and at the same time locks out the noobs.

Also I do not believe it is possible within the game to differentiate the points, whether they are nade kills, rifle kills, or cap points. And what if the person to 10 points first refuses the sniper class? Would it wait for the 2nd person to 10 kills? What if the rifleman doesn't accept the sniper position and he doesn't decline it, then no one is the sniper, and what if he is in a firefight and doesn't have time to switch to sniper and the next person to 10 kills steals it from him?

Upvote 0