• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Locking tank engine

Steinfisch

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 26, 2006
The tanks in the game seems to become more and more single player vehicles. This was not the primary goal when the game has been developed. The main reason for this may be a lack of communication (and discipline). A tank driver is a tank driver, not the commander. It would be a good idea to lock the engine by the commander(gunner) while adjusting the shooting range.

Steinfisch said:
The tanks in the game seems to become more and more single player vehicles. This was not the primary goal when the game has been developed. The main reason for this may be a lack of communication (and discipline). A tank driver is a tank driver, not the commander. It would be a good idea to lock the engine by the commander(gunner) while adjusting the shooting range.

I agree, this way if someone goes solo, others can let him be. It could be a problem on small maps though. What if the "idiot of the server" decides to get in the Tiger on Konigsplatz and locks it?

Upvote 0
The problem (that you all know I'm sure) is that you just CAN'T depend on any pubber, but yourself (/clanmates). Even with good communication it's more fun to drive alone and have the thing 100% under control. There have been some very rare cases in which I was happy with my commander/driver because we had a good communication and both knew the "tricks" of surviving and aiming, but most of the time you have just unexperienced players or stupid tankwhores who don't even want to become part of a team and know nothing about how to drive and aim :mad:. And all this gives you is frustration. Many Players just CAN'T aim or get the tank into Kleeblatt position (dunno the english term for it) making you a) very vulnerable (one hit = death) or b) harmless (your "commander" jus won't hit anything except dirt). If you force excellent tankdrivers to teamplay with unexperienced players it will just frustrate them. Especially when they start complaining about that they would like to drive alone... IT's better when people do this by their own. You cann tell them with server messages and so on that good players should show others "how to tank". As long as it's voluntary it's ok.
For example: You're not bad at tankdriving (can aim and defend). You can manage a tank alone and get good results, but then see a (maybe worse) player who has communication and the will to improve his skills, you just go there and offer help and teamplay. If he accepts this you have a nice time playing tank instructor, if he doesn't get another tank and show him how those machines are ment to be used. Maybe some Clans could even do a "Tank Lesson Event" or something but to FORCE players to teamplay is definitely the wrong way.

Upvote 0
This is why I solo tank in the first place. I get so pissed off when I'm in a good, hull-down position, lining up a shot...then some jackass hops in my tank, drives forward about 30 meters into an open field, and yells "LOL WERE WE GOIN DUDE" right before our exposed tank is blasted.

I don't especially care if they are newbies...if they don't listen to the commander's "STOP THE MOTHER****ING TANK NOW!" spam, they should be able to be kicked out of the tank and not be allowed back in to that commander's tank.

Screw teamwork. I almost never find reliable tankers who follow orders of the commander, or commanders who actually give orders. When I do, of course, I work with them. But they are so few and far between, whenever someone hops into my tank at the spawn and there are other open tanks around, I just get out of that tank and find an empty one to solo in. I'd rather solo tank in a Panzer IV or a T-34 than teamtank with someone I don't know in a Tiger or Panther or KV-1 or IS-2.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
What's been working pretty well for me is looking for other [TT] players.
Most of these guys have a much better clue that the average Joe Pub.
Though I have to admit, as much fun as gunning is, I find when I'm the driver, we tend to live a LOT longer. Drivers keep the team alive, giving time for the gunner to score.

agreed. :)

TBH, I like driving and surprising the crap out of a dude on the server as to what a good experience it can be (and the points we can get) with me driving. frankly, it's fun showing off. ;)

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
This is why I solo tank in the first place. I get so pissed off when I'm in a good, hull-down position, lining up a shot...then some jackass hops in my tank, drives forward about 30 meters into an open field, and yells "LOL WERE WE GOIN DUDE" right before our exposed tank is blasted.
If you are actually out in the battlefield (and not parked outside the tank spawn), no one will hop in "your" vehicle and start driving away. They arent going to waste time walking out to find you when they can just wait in the spawn for a new tank.

And if it does happen (say someone bails from their destroyed tank and walks a long ways towards yours), its such a rare occurance that the game does not need to be modified to "fix" it.

I've played Ostfront since the release date (and dallied in the mod, never tanked), and I have NEVER had anyone join my tank from the battlefield (includes hull gun position). If you are parked outside the spawn and someone takes it, too bad.

Upvote 0
Zerknautscher said:
The problem (that you all know I'm sure) is that you just CAN'T depend on any pubber, but yourself (/clanmates). Even with good communication it's more fun to drive alone and have the thing 100% under control. There have been some very rare cases in which I was happy with my commander/driver because we had a good communication and both knew the "tricks" of surviving and aiming, but most of the time you have just unexperienced players or stupid tankwhores who don't even want to become part of a team and know nothing about how to drive and aim :mad:. And all this gives you is frustration. Many Players just CAN'T aim or get the tank into Kleeblatt position (dunno the english term for it) making you a) very vulnerable (one hit = death) or b) harmless (your "commander" jus won't hit anything except dirt). If you force excellent tankdrivers to teamplay with unexperienced players it will just frustrate them. Especially when they start complaining about that they would like to drive alone... IT's better when people do this by their own. You cann tell them with server messages and so on that good players should show others "how to tank". As long as it's voluntary it's ok.
For example: You're not bad at tankdriving (can aim and defend). You can manage a tank alone and get good results, but then see a (maybe worse) player who has communication and the will to improve his skills, you just go there and offer help and teamplay. If he accepts this you have a nice time playing tank instructor, if he doesn't get another tank and show him how those machines are ment to be used. Maybe some Clans could even do a "Tank Lesson Event" or something but to FORCE players to teamplay is definitely the wrong way.

Agree with pretty much all of that

Upvote 0
I find that about half the people who hop in a tank with me work out fine. It is always better for the more experienced person, and the one with the mic, to drive. All the commnader has to say is STOP. Other commands are good and a mic is better but the bottom line is an unbuttonned driver has a better view when the fight is on than the gunner/commander inside the turret.

Like Heinz I enjoy getting someone into the commanders spot on a tank I am driving and showing them just how effective a two man tank can be.

I understand there are times it is frustrating when someone will not stop the tank or hops in and goes but do try to understand why they may be doing it. Half the time at least there is a good reason and these may include:

Additional enemy tanks gaining position on you that the gunner is not currently engaging.

Infantry with satchels approaching.

And My All Time Favourite... Trying to get the firggin tank into the cap zone to win or prevent the loss of the game!

Nothing pisses me off more than some solo tankers sitting back and lobbing shells from just outisde spawn as caps are lost. Last nigh on Arad we Germans had three opportunities to win it. Each time I saw solo tankers sitting on the German side of the river exchanging fire with Soviets at long range with PANZER IVs. Like they would even be effective at that range! I will buy the "coverring the cap zone" line only so long as we either have it!

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
If you are actually out in the battlefield (and not parked outside the tank spawn), no one will hop in "your" vehicle and start driving away. They arent going to waste time walking out to find you when they can just wait in the spawn for a new tank.

And if it does happen (say someone bails from their destroyed tank and walks a long ways towards yours), its such a rare occurance that the game does not need to be modified to "fix" it.

I've played Ostfront since the release date (and dallied in the mod, never tanked), and I have NEVER had anyone join my tank from the battlefield (includes hull gun position). If you are parked outside the spawn and someone takes it, too bad.

It isn't rare. There are more tank maps than Orel.

Ogledow, Soviet side, for instance. Frequently, if there are no vehicles available at the spawn, tankers will sprint out towards the first objective. They hop into my tank, which is defending the Ogledow objective, all the time. I guess I just shouldn't defend that objective and let the Germans win, because I'm just parked outside of the spawn, aren't I.

And I do see many people bailing from their tanks, more often now than ever before. I know I do it, I'd rather stay in the cap zone and possibly grab Panzerfausts or fight enemy infantry than get sent back to the respawn zone in a cooked tank.

Upvote 0
Velcro Warrior said:
I'm very much against this idea; It's discouraging teamwork. A properly crewed tank will not have to worry about this problem. If you are experiencing this problem, you need to interact with your fellow players and find someone to crew the tank with you.

Interacting with players requires two people being cooperative. That doesn't happen as often as I'd like, thusly, I stick to the simple solution where the only person I have to worry about cooperating with is me.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
Interacting with players requires two people being cooperative. That doesn't happen as often as I'd like, thusly, I stick to the simple solution where the only person I have to worry about cooperating with is me.

Destroying tanks at range requires adjusting your aim (or the sights) to accomidate the distance. That's sometimes hard to do. The simple solution would be to have the tank automatically adjust for the range.

Say this "tank locking" is implemented; How many public servers would ever actually have a fully crewed tank? Probably not many, because everyone would likely use this "lock" feature so that they may have their very own tank...

Upvote 0
Velcro Warrior said:
Destroying tanks at range requires adjusting your aim (or the sights) to accomidate the distance. That's sometimes hard to do. The simple solution would be to have the tank automatically adjust for the range.

How is that relevant? If I don't adjust my aim properly and I miss, then I know that it was my fault. If some ass hops into my tank and starts to move it out of position, then how is that my fault?

Velcro Warrior said:
Say this "tank locking" is implemented; How many public servers would ever actually have a fully crewed tank? Probably not many, because everyone would likely use this "lock" feature so that they may have their very own tank...

How many public servers have fully crewed tanks as it is now as opposed to solo tankers? To me, the difference between a fully crewed tank and a solo tank is that when I kill a fully-crewed tank I get more kills. Only rarely do I see a driver-commander combination that is more effective than two solo tanks would be.

Upvote 0