• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Limiting the Loadouts

LukeFF

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2006
Riverside, California, USA
I know this has been discusssed here and there in different threads, but I think it's finally time this topic had it's own: limiting the loadouts of each class. I got to thinking about this tonight when testing something on Koenigsplatz; as a German machine-gunner I was able to carry the following all at once:

-400 rounds of rifle-caliber ammo, plus weapon
-5 pistol magazines, plus weapon
-2 grenades
-3 panzerfausts

Without weighing the ammo, that right there is ~67 pounds, not to mention the extra weight of boots, entrenching tool, spare barrels, etc. Simply put, that is WAY too much ammunition for one soldier to be carrying into combat and runs into the realm of one person becoming a ueber ultimate soldier. With that said, I think it's finally time the developers look at implementing some sort of weight limit system to counter this absurdity.

Before giving a weight limit number, let's look at the given weights of the weapons we have currently in RO (taken from the manual):

-K98k: 9 pounds
-G43: 10 pounds
-StG44: 11 pounds
-MP40/41: 10 pounds
-Pistols: ~2 pounds
-MG34: 32 pounds (loaded)
-MG42: 26 pounds (empty)
-Panzerfaust: 13 pounds
-Satchel: 7 pounds
-M91/30: 9 pounds
-M38/44: 8 pounds
-SVT-40: 9 pounds
-PPD-40/PPsH: 12 pounds
-PPS-43: 9 pounds
-DP-28: 21 pounds (loaded)
-PTRD: 38 pounds

Now, add those weights, plus ammunition, and one will see the weights our soldiers carry is tremendous. Thus, I think a weight limit system along these lines should be implemented:

-Machine-gunners and anti-tank classes: ~45 pounds, no more than one Panzerfaust. With the basic load of these classes as it is now (esp. MGs) this negates the ability to carry around more weaponry than was realistic.
-All others: 30 pounds. This would allow, for instance, a Schuetze to carry the K98, 2 grenades, a pistol, and Panzerfaust, which would be very realistic (9 + 13 + 2 + weight of grenades and ammo = ~30 pounds).

Personally, I think the time for something like this has come. For a game that prides itself on realism, I think something like this fits well within that concept.

The only issue I have with the encumbrance in the game is that a soldier should really only carry 1 panzerfaust at a time.

Everything else I can live with. Don't forget that in most situations, MG's like the 34 and the 42 were crew served weapons. So there was another guy helping you lug all of that stuff around.

I'm not sure if the same is true for the Russian LMG, since it's more similar to the Bren gun, which was single-crewed.

Upvote 0
I think it's ok as it is except the 3 PzFst thing. Only one PzFst should be carryable at a time and maybe all machine guns should get a tiny bit less ammo. You actually just can't want public players to create ammo/gunner teams. Would you like to carry e.g. Player X's ammo for the whole time? I certainly wouldn't. Would be realistic but no fun. As said before simplistic realism is the answer. It has to stay fun, some players work the rest of the day anyway, they wouldn't want to have to work in their favourite FPS also.;)

Upvote 0