• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sharpshooter class should be earned.

Oi!Oi!Oi!

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2006
Once a players has over 10 kills with a rifle (bolt or automatic), the sharpshooter class opens up for him. If the first person to get the class decides to change after a while, the class becomes available to all those who got 10+ kills with a rifle.

Pros:

- Sharpshooter class stops being exclusive to those with fast computers.
- Encourages people to use rifles and aim properly.
- Sharpshooter is guaranteed to be competent.

Cons:

- Class not available in the first minutes of the first round.
- Could cause extreme German camping on Basovka, but that's already happening without this feature.

hart_luger2.jpg

[5.SS]Strother said:
sniper class is extremely overrated. So I say no.
So because sniper is overrated you don't like the idea of a kill requirement to play it? I would think if you believe it is overrated then you would be indifferent either way?

I think it sounds like a decent idea. It makes it more skill based and in reality I'm sure the better shots with a rifle from a regular unit would tend to be selected more for sniper duty.

Upvote 0
I don't find it fun. I'm usually in game fast enough to have the choice of taking it too. I just don't think the sniper class is that important to take the time for the devs to develop a system.

There are so many players with sniper fetishes in the world. You do realize there are weapons in the game other than the sniper right? It isn't really going to hurt too much if you have to take a rifle while some 8 year old has a sniper rifle. If you needed the thing so badly pick up one laying around. And what about the guys who are unlucky or who are noobs who want to use the sniper rifle, but all the cocky elite riflemen get the 10 kills asap and snatch it up? In this case, solving one problem only creates others.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
People who are too lazy to constantly check the class lists (which takes about a split second while waiting to respawn, it is how I get specialized weapons when I enter a round late) do not deserve a sniper rifle.

You guys take this way to seriously, it's just a suggestion on the Ideas and Suggestions forum. No need to get all tight assed about it.

I check the class list from time to time, but I'm mostly concentrated on the game. I have seen the sniper class open in mid-round maybe 2 or 3 times since I play RO. Those who get it tend to never let go.

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
You guys take this way to seriously, it's just a suggestion on the Ideas and Suggestions forum. No need to get all tight assed about it.

I check the class list from time to time, but I'm mostly concentrated on the game. I have seen the sniper class open in mid-round maybe 2 or 3 times since I play RO. Those who get it tend to never let go.

And this is what I do not believe. I know that I normally get "advanced" classes (semi-automatic rifles, sniper rifles, machine-guns, etc.) half-way through the round. If you don't check it, you don't get it. So don't try to turn RO:O into an RPG.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
And this is what I do not believe. I know that I normally get "advanced" classes (semi-automatic rifles, sniper rifles, machine-guns, etc.) half-way through the round. If you don't check it, you don't get it. So don't try to turn RO:O into an RPG.

My next idea is actually to have a wizard and thief class added to the game.

Wizard should get magic missiles and teleport ability. While the thief could steal the other team's weapons and money.

Upvote 0
The problem with the sniper rifle is that the character models in the game simply stand out too well from the terrain, it's simply too easy to spot enemies with the sniper rifle. I have been hunting with my friend who has a scoped .303 and things don't stand out anything like as clearly as they do in RO.

If you give a sniper rifle to the first person with 10+ kills you shift the game mechanism towards kills and away from capturing objectives. I can easily picture 10 Germans on Basovka who get to the ridge, go prone, and start plinking away at the Soviets until one has racked up 10 kills. Then it's time to get killed and respawn as the sniper so you can rack up another 20 kills?

I don't know what the average kills for the average sniper was in WW2, but 30+ confirmed kills in a 20 minute engagement sounds a bit UNREALISTIC???

Upvote 0
As a proficiant shooter is about as effective with a rifle yas with the sniper gun, I don't see why this should be implemented.
It's not like it is crucial for the team to have a good sniper to win, and with your solution, you'd too end up with the same persons being the sniper all the time, with the only doifference that the slot wouldn't be available from the beginning.

Upvote 0