• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee Attack with Fists

Chi

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006
Northumberland, England
Ok so we can smack someone across the chops with the rifle but or bayonet them which is, lets be honest fantastic. But the moments I hate are the ones when you turn a corner and there is an ememy, you both fire and you see that dreaded message "gun shot from your hands".

You have two choices when this happens:

1. Try and pick up your gun if you dont have a pistol, which lets face it is a major pain in the arse which I compare to a drunk boxer with his gloves on trying to pick up a pencil.
2. Run like a girl screaming for your mother.

Could we please have a melee attack using our fists in these cases, anything rather than being totaly defenceless.

Ta

Chi

so you want to charge an armed soldier who possiby has a bayo on the end of his rifle with only your fists? What, are you gonna dodge bullets and bayo thrusts like a boxer? LOL, that would be a funny sight to see, and you would die anyway.

dodge, weave, uppercut to the chin.....hmmm....not even close to realistic, sorry. Also, how hard do you think the punches would be, since it takes 2 or 3 rifle butts to take someone out, and those are metal or wood?

Or would you somehow grow superhuman strength to be able to punch them in the helmet without breaking your hand?

C'mon, are you really serious? Where is it historically accurate that a soldier with no weapon could survive an attack like you described using only their fists?

(unless of course you are Mike Tyson in his early years or Chuck Norris with his deadly roundhouse to the head)

Upvote 0
stebbs said:
C'mon, are you really serious? Where is it historically accurate that a soldier with no weapon could survive an attack like you described using only their fists?

It happens. If I were a soldier who lost my weapon, you bet I'd try to beat the **** out of the enemy and take his gun. If he can't hit and kill an unarmed guy, he deserves it. I wouldn't charge him head on, I'd hide and wait, but what else can you do to survive? It only make sense to be able to use your fists.

It would be cool if we had something like a "stealth attack" where if you caught the enemy unaware from behind you could hit him and knock the weapon out of his hands.

Upvote 0
I'm not gonna try and punch the guy, thats for damn sure... lol

The enemy is carrying a weapon... at times it takes two to three stabs to kill a guy, sometimes two buttsmacks..

Are you seriously thinking that he is going to sit there and let you pummel him into submission? I mean, what do you expect the outcome of a punch to be, death? Knocked out? Or a swift buttsmack... better yet a nice healthy hipshot to your gut.

I dunno, I always thought having a spade in game was silly as hell (and not cool as DoD has already done this) ...so you are going to try and kill a guy with a small shovel you use to dig dirt with? Man, I hope you have a half-hour or so to saw through his neck with that thing... but fists!? yeeea, whatever.

Upvote 0
Fist fighting isn't realistic.

Unfortunately, the most realistic reaction one would have to armed soldier (that's of any use anyway), isn't practical or at least possible at the moment.

That would be grappling. Either trying to grab the weapon away (looks good in that new CoD), or wrestling probably to the floor.

I can't imagine implementing wrestling in a first person shooter - it's all by feel - something we can't quite get across on a monitor.

The only thing I can think of to implement who wins while grappling would be the old Left/Right quickly like in Street Fighter when you're dazed.

For now, I would be happy to see knife, or even helmet bashing when you're otherwise unarmed.

Upvote 0
Morm said:
Unfortunately, the most realistic reaction one would have to armed soldier (that's of any use anyway), isn't practical or at least possible at the moment.

That would be grappling.

or the most realistic of all ... throwing your hands up and surrendering!

Trust me, any soldier trying to land a haymaker on an armed enemy would end up dead as a doornail.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
the most realistic reaction one would have to armed soldier.
We are talking about if your weapon gets shot out of your hands, it is realistic because you can trick your enemy " its only a game stop bringing reallife into it to try back your saying" in games you can trick noobs easy, I always lead em into traps and im shore if I had my weapon shot out of my hands I could do the same. He wouldnt of been blank ranged in front of me! He would of been quite far away from me, which would give me a chance to hide and get into a good postion to get him. Come on its just a game, we all know its easy to trick people...

Upvote 0
pookie said:
It happens. If I were a soldier who lost my weapon, you bet I'd try to beat the **** out of the enemy and take his gun. If he can't hit and kill an unarmed guy, he deserves it. I wouldn't charge him head on, I'd hide and wait, but what else can you do to survive? It only make sense to be able to use your fists.

It would be cool if we had something like a "stealth attack" where if you caught the enemy unaware from behind you could hit him and knock the weapon out of his hands.

ROFL Show me a historical fact of a soldier fighting only with their hands and taking out an enemy with a loaded gun and I might see your point. You could also run for cover until they lose you and then go pick your weapon back up, that's what I have done on occasion, but most times you get the weapon shot out of your hands, and then boom, the next shot kills you.

It's not like you have all this spare time to go ninja on the guy and use some special martial arts fighting style before he shoots you.

I would like to sharpen the edge of my helmet and throw it like a frisbee, or pull out my shaving kit to use the razor, or strangle another player with my belt, or spit in their eye to throw their aim off.......

Sorry, i'm having a hard time taking this kind of suggestion seriously. If you get the weapon shot out of your hands and aren't killed straight off, you run for cover or give up, at least IRL.

Upvote 0
Melee

Melee

so you want to charge an armed soldier who possiby has a bayo on the end of his rifle with only your fists? What, are you gonna dodge bullets and bayo thrusts like a boxer? LOL, that would be a funny sight to see, and you would die anyway.

dodge, weave, uppercut to the chin.....hmmm....not even close to realistic, sorry. Also, how hard do you think the punches would be, since it takes 2 or 3 rifle butts to take someone out, and those are metal or wood?

Or would you somehow grow superhuman strength to be able to punch them in the helmet without breaking your hand?

(unless of course you are Mike Tyson in his early years or Chuck Norris with his deadly roundhouse to the head)

Ok thats your opinion and you entitled to that. So am I, without the sarcasm though thank you.

I take it from your post you would choose my second option and run like a girl screaming ? All I am asking for is a way to defend your self in CQB. It would be asking too much from the devs to code in grabbing guns or wrestling enemys to the ground ect. All I want is a fighting chance when I lose my weapon and the enemy is there in front of me. At the moment all I can do is stand there while he kills me whatever way he wants. Im sure in real life your survival instinct would kick and you would do whatever it takes to live. Using your fists or like it has been mentioned a knife as your last resort, anything but being totaly defenceless.

Ta

Chi

Upvote 0
It's not like you have all this spare time to go ninja on the guy and use some special martial arts fighting style before he shoots you.

Like I said the enemy isn't going to be blanked ranged at you, gives you time to run, via you will run alot faster with no weapon and ammo so alot more of a chance they will miss you. And I mean come on you can get cover easy I have ran past 7 Russians and they all missed me! So im shore I can get past 1 enemy. Its easy to trick people on that game, because of how the map is based, how the objects are based ect... Lots and lots and cover, its not our falt that you cant think battle-wise??? Or how you say ninja-style..... You mite think oh ye you are gonna run and hide in all that time, in that ammount of time it would take it would be about 7 seconds 9 at the max. I think alot of people in the war who got there weapons shot out of there hands or dropped them ects... would of hidden somewhere and probably found the biggest object to hit there enemy with. Mabey not use their fists, but I can garentee you that some people would of done. Think of the odds, it was a long war, went on for years, battles went on for months, think of how many people were in the war, there had to be people who willl have had to done something like that count up the odds!! And its only a game, atleast add some fun and realism fun to it...

Sorry, i'm having a hard time taking this kind of suggestion seriously. If you get the weapon shot out of your hands and aren't killed straight off, you run for cover or give up, at least IRL.[/quote]

You say you run for cover or give up at least, you mean YOU would do that. Its like you are saying "My way is the best and right!":confused: . Not everyone does what you do.......

Oh and it seems to me that you are insulting that persons idea, mabey you think your not but I think you are.. As I have said for who knows how many times, its a "Ideas and Suggestions Want To Help Red Orchestra Get Better? Share Your Wisdom Here" Not a hahahaha a **** idea why did you post it.. Why? Because its a "Ideas and Suggestions Forum"He is only trying to help RO:O get better.. So if you cant say anything nice, please dont bother coming on this forum, better than that dont come on the website! I know I cant tell you what to do but im not, im giving you some friendly advice. There are to many flamers on this website. To many sarky and cocky gits. Thats all, if you reply to this I WONT reply back or bother reading it. Good night, thanks.

Upvote 0
falconik said:
We are talking about if your weapon gets shot out of your hands, it is realistic because you can trick your enemy " its only a game stop bringing reallife into it to try back your saying" in games you can trick noobs easy, I always lead em into traps and im shore if I had my weapon shot out of my hands I could do the same. He wouldnt of been blank ranged in front of me! He would of been quite far away from me, which would give me a chance to hide and get into a good postion to get him. Come on its just a game, we all know its easy to trick people...

Umm, my post said nothing about "it being only a game stop brining reallife into it."

I merely said that the most realistic and probably most used way to defend against an armed opponent when unarmed would be to try to dissarm your opponent by grabbing the weapon, which would probably lead to a bit of a wrestling match.

If you had a knife, then you could use that.

And I'm not sure where this topic of tricking people came from. I though we were talking about melee combat.

Upvote 0
stebbs said:
ROFL Show me a historical fact of a soldier fighting only with their hands and taking out an enemy with a loaded gun and I might see your point. You could also run for cover until they lose you and then go pick your weapon back up, that's what I have done on occasion, but most times you get the weapon shot out of your hands, and then boom, the next shot kills you.

I would like to sharpen the edge of my helmet and throw it like a frisbee, or pull out my shaving kit to use the razor, or strangle another player with my belt, or spit in their eye to throw their aim off.......

Sorry, i'm having a hard time taking this kind of suggestion seriously. If you get the weapon shot out of your hands and aren't killed straight off, you run for cover or give up, at least IRL.

I'm not saying that it would be a sure thing, or that the fist should have the same damage as a rifle butt, just that it would be nice to have SOMETHING to defend yourself with after you lose your gun.

Maybe some of the sissy stick-arm gamers out there don't realize the damage a fist can do, but as someone who works with his hands for a living, I assure you, if you had a bolt action rifle and missed me at close range the first time, that gun would be mine before you could reload. That's all I'm saying. :D

Upvote 0
stebbs said:

Your telling me that in real life, when an enemy is standing in front of you and you don't have a weapon that your going to run away? Your going to try to kill him any way possible. That's your JOB, your a soldier dammnit not some little girl.

Upvote 0
hahaha, cmon man, you would be killed. A tough guy attitude would surely get you killed in a situation like the one described. Of course if you have a deathwish, then be my guest and try to 'punch' a trained soldier holding a loaded weapon, lmao.. I'm sorry it just sounds so funny I need to laugh.

I think everyone knows that a single punch can knock a guy out, and possibly break bones in the face, and since you are absolutely sure that those in this thread have 'sissy stick arms' I guess its okay to say in turn that maybe some of the meat-headed macho construction workers out there dont understand what a bullet can do, or what the stock of a rifle can do in the hands of a trained killer.

I'm no e-tough guy, but I'll take your challenge anytime... give me a rifle that needs the bullet bolted, and you about 6 feet away, oh hell yeah, anytime my friend :D . ...and I'm no trained soldier, imagine if it were.

waitaminute, Zbojnik, do you know how many soldiers surrendered in WWII? Are you saying that they are little girls?

Upvote 0
make us break their necks when from behind:D *grabs soviet head then brutally thrusts it sideway* dont you just love the crunchy knack of breaking necks in the morning? ^^:rolleyes:

but seriously now ^^ as i regularly say about stuff like this, it might not help you at all but what would it hurt to have the feature in?
or another thing, a strelok/schutze might still have his bayonet when he has not allready fixed it on his rifle when it gets shot out of his hands, why not use that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
pookie said:
I'm not saying that it would be a sure thing, or that the fist should have the same damage as a rifle butt, just that it would be nice to have SOMETHING to defend yourself with after you lose your gun.

Maybe some of the sissy stick-arm gamers out there don't realize the damage a fist can do, but as someone who works with his hands for a living, I assure you, if you had a bolt action rifle and missed me at close range the first time, that gun would be mine before you could reload. That's all I'm saying. :D

then your nickname really suits you:D pookie haha:D

(srry for doubleposting but i just had to say that :p )

btw, i get the idea that all of you guys take the straight-on approach, directly assaulting the enemy, wich ofcourse is not going to work.
but if you manage to ditch the guy, then sneak up on him from the back, THEN you at least have that opportunity.
also, the enemy might not go away quickly enough to get your weapon back cuz those things disapear you know ;)
then you are left there empty handed. just having that feature in cannot hurt anyone. so what if someone goes against you with his fists? kill him, just like you would when he didnt have his fists to defend himself.
the point is that you at least have the SLIGHTEST CHANCE, no matter how small it might be, you have it, and if done right, you can still do something, come on, dont you hate being in a situation where you cant do anything at all? ofcourse you do!

honestly, show some imagination here people ^^ humanity became what it is thanks to fantasy, all progress demands it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but seriously now ^^ as i regularly say about stuff like this, it might (not) help you at all but what would it hurt to have the feature in?

It would hurt when you see some jagoff running around the battlefield with just his fists and then K'ock 4 guys inna row, as you know that would happen... you people are always complaining about 'gaminess' then you come in and request something like this?

Upvote 0